AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I was even able to get an antenna that most places don't carry, a Long Range Mixed with low VHF added in addition to the usual high vhf and uhf Part Number 148281. With the Avant X I could have just as easily gone with the 148280 which comes with no power supply as the Avant X will power the preamp so you don't need the power injector. As a point of reference to decipher the info given at Televes, Low VHF is referred to as Band I, High VHF is Band III. Band II is FM Radio.

What did you use to get the neat graphs you show here? I will be using a borrowed Televes meter. I'm thinking of buying the one that supports ATSC 3.0 and HVEC so one can actually view ATSC 3.0 content to verify. The meter I borrowed has an ethernet port so it is easy to use a web browser as well and there is a phone app one can download.
It's a program called RTL SDR. It uses a dongle, which I ordered from China for something like $7.00. You can buy an an SDR RTL dongle now. Search Amazon and E-bay.

There was a comprehensive thread on it on the now defunct Hi-def forum out of Canada.

Rabbit 73 here, has helped me with it but the idea was originally introduced by Pete Higgins who showed me the way originally. .

Good luck !

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
ChiwaukeeOTA;
You have been reported to the Cable Management Police. ;) :p

Did you get this directly thru Telves??

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Ok, how about this;

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I found the US importer for the Televes model;

So I contacted their US HQ in Colorado and received this reply;
Website; https://www.televes.com/us/532180-avant-x-programmable-multiband-amplifier-for-terrestrial-signals-with-autolte.htm
Manual - Quick guide MQG01200000_002_ES-EN.pdf (2.65 MB)
ASuite - SW Update ASuite_v_1.2.005.zip.zip (47.69 MB)

Please, let me know any further questions.
Best,
Javier Ruano General Manager
Televes USA LLC
Norfolk Tech Center
16596 E. 2nd Avenue
Aurora, CO 80011
Main: (720) 379-3748

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, this is Javier with Televes. I am happy to respond any questions about the Avant X unit. It's a pretty straightforward device, basically just program the channels to be filtered from antenna connected, configure the output channel desired for each and the overall level, and automatically adjust. Example below:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Hi, this is Javier with Televes. I am happy to respond any questions about the Avant X unit. It's a pretty straightforward device, basically just program the channels to be filtered from antenna connected, configure the output channel desired for each and the overall level, and automatically adjust. Example below:
What’s the signal loss on this device?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not sure I am understanding the question correctly. There is really no signal loss, since the Avant not only filters but also equalizes the programmed filters to the desired value amplifying as needed as well as keeping that level constant via AGC. Provided the carriers are within specs, the MER degradation of a multiplex from input to output is <1dB.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Not sure I am understanding the question correctly. There is really no signal loss, since the Avant not only filters but also equalizes the programmed filters to the desired value amplifying as needed as well as keeping that level constant via AGC. Provided the carriers are within specs, the MER degradation of a multiplex from input to output is <1dB.
Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This product looks great. I reviewed the spec sheets and just have a few questions.

The Avant X should be located indoors? My antennas are in an attic and this appears to require 110v power. My basement distribution box seems a good location.

Does the Avant X display a signal level for each incoming channel? Or does that require a meter?
I would like to avoid preamps but might need to add them due to 75’ of wire from attic to basement for each antenna. I know each channel requires a minimum of -20dB signal.

The port next to the USB was listed as RJ45 in some of the documentation. What does that do? I’d prefer to program this wirelessly or from a PC on my network rather than USB connected device.
Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Avant X should be located indoors? My antennas are in an attic and this appears to require 110v power. My basement distribution box seems a good location.
Yes, the Avant X is an indoors device.

Does the Avant X display a signal level for each incoming channel? Or does that require a meter?
It will not, but if a programmed input signal is under the minimum required level it'll end up lower than the programmed value in the adjust screen, so that's a telltale that the incoming RF carrier is below the minimum input level required.

The port next to the USB was listed as RJ45 in some of the documentation. What does that do? I’d prefer to program this wirelessly or from a PC on my network rather than USB connected device.
The RJ45 connector is for a handheld manual programmer that's available. It is recommended to use the A-suite app instead to program the device.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I'm in the middle of 4 markets with a few overlapping channels. I can receive each signal but the multipath wipes out some good channels when I combine. I've never seen a product like the Avant X - but it's so overdue in 2021. Using a smart phone to program digital filters instead of of just plugging physical connections together seems like a great start. Kudos to Televes for leading the way!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I'm in the middle of 4 markets with a few overlapping channels. I can receive each signal but the multipath wipes out some good channels when I combine. I've never seen a product like the Avant X - but it's so overdue in 2021. Using a smart phone to program digital filters instead of of just plugging physical connections together seems like a great start. Kudos to Televes for leading the way!
Sounds like a good application for the Avant X. Let me know any questions

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
To add additional in depth insight to this very unusual device from Televes in Spain from this thread;
Avant X New way to combine up to 4 different antenna...

I've spent over a month putting this thru it's paces (so to speak) including having on-going e-mail conversation with their General Manager in Colorado and with their head office just outside of Santiago, Spain. I have to say all have benefited from this in more ways than one. ;)
As my situation is far different than most had had been incurable due to vastly different levels from stations in the same direction 7 and 55 miles away with a 40+ dB differential in signal level.

First off, links to the product via their site in Colorado and to where I purchased this (which I recommend very highly);
Televes (US);
AVANT X programmable multiband amplifier for terrestrial signals, with AutoLTE
Ness Electronics;
Televes Avant X 532180 Multiband amplifier

Below gathered from two different documents from Televes site (both had entries the other didn't have);
Televes Avant X programmable TV amp; features & configuration 532180

Features:
Digital processing implemented on terrestrial TV signals
Up to 32 individually programmable filters: single channel digital filtering, adjacent channels (1 to 4 channels)
Output channels can be frequency shifted to any unassigned channel included other bands
Output level is adjustable between 30-55dBmV. Equalization slope up to 8 dB can be programmed at the output.
Automatic signal adjustment in each filter (AGC): and output signal manual regulation (+- 3db)
Digital filters with high selectivity: 30dB rejection (@ 1MHz)
AutoLTE: automatic adaptation of filters, depending on the LTE signal type (CH36/CH51)
CATV input range; 54-1220MHz equalization between 0-18dB. The output level is 55dBmV.
SAW filters (Surface Acoustic Wave) against LTE interference, with the best selectivity and stability
TForce Technology: terrestrial signal level always stable and adapted to its optimum value
Storage multiple setup configurations, allows user to transfer data to other AVANT X units
Zamak chassis provides high RF shielding
Configuration and adjustment using ASuite application for Windows or Android.
Powering of preamps or BOSS (antenna) system
LED indicators displaying power and adjustment status
Easy-to-replace proprietary power supply
FM input when enabled, will be amplified and its output level set to 10 dB below the lowest-level UHF channel (taking into account the equalization slope).
Filters can be tuned to any VHF & UHF channel, its bandwidth can comprise between 1 to 4 channels. The arrangement of the 32 filters is configurable based on the number of channels present on each TV input.
ASuite for PC or tablet and Android smartphone, via USB connection (Micro B cable included): A configuration can be defined and stored even without being connected to the multiband amplifier to retrieve it later.
The READJUST button on the unit (short press), will readjust the stored configuration values. A manual adjustment can be performed to the gain +/- 3db in the software.

Configuration and adjustment

Through the PCT programmer unit: select the appropriate parameters for the installation (channels, output level, equalization slope…) and press the ∎ button (long press) which saves the configuration and starts the setting. If programming is done before installation, with the removal of the programmer the process is avoided but the configuration is recorded for later adjustment.
Through the ASuite application: select the appropriate parameters and press the button to send the configuration to the unit. Pressing the button will start the adjustment process.
Through the "READJUST" button starts the process of setting the unit with the configuration previously stored by the programmer or the application.
Inputs and outputs must be active for the correct setting of the unit.
During the adjustment process, the green LED remains ON and in case of a level error the red LED will light up.

IMPORTANT WARNING: The Avant X unit ships with a 75 ohm terminator load connected to the TV+CATV output. It is important to make sure that this load remains connected to the TV+CATV output during the adjustment process. The Avant X adjusts the gain of the filters by measuring the level detected at the main TV+CATV output and it needs to be loaded for the reading to be accurate. If the TV+CATV output is not terminated during the adjustment process, mismatches would occur and the results of the adjustment will not be satisfactory.
If the adjustment screen shows any bars falling short of the desired programmed in one or several programmed filters, that’s indicative of the corresponding input RF signal being lower than the minimum input value required (-20 dBmV ). In this case, it can not be guaranteed they will function properly through the Avant X and these channels may be impaired with errors.

Reactions: LaserBeamSC

·
Registered
36 Posts
...........I sent an email with my address and credit card number.
Oh don't do that, at least call with the CC number instead of email. I used paypal in which case they emailed me the link but no sensitive information is ever sent over something as insecure as email.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've spent over a month putting this thru it's paces .........

View attachment 3080753
You definitely dug into this very deeply and provided more good information to share here so thank you!

I'm finally starting to survey my new house as I am no longer in Moses Lake, Wa on temporary assignment which is the worst place outside of hell to ever hope for OTA as well as other hellish attributes I will not miss. Now in Desert Shores, Ca, I did a preliminary by taking a small handheld tv and a small RCA yagi outside to see what I could pick up with those and merely guessed at which direction to point it.. I was surprised at what I already picked up. Some pixelated a bit and cut out but I got quite a few I never expected. I will have no problem with the Avant X and two Boss antennas. Preventing overdrive on some channels is definitely one of the advantages of the Avant X. Blocking back reflections on each antenna from the market behind them will prevent all kinds of trouble.

I'll start with two antennas, one pointed to Palm Springs and the other pointed to the Chocolate mountains where the Yuma Arizona towers are. The Yuma ones are at +1600 feet elevation and it is all water between me and the base of the mountain range, the water is at -227 feet and my antennas will easily be 27 feet feet above the water.

·
Registered
36 Posts
First off, links to the product via their site in Colorado and to where I purchased this (which I recommend very highly);
Televes (US);
AVANT X programmable multiband amplifier for terrestrial signals, with AutoLTE
Ness Electronics;
Televes Avant X 532180 Multiband amplifier

Below gathered from two different documents from Televes site (both had entries the other didn't have);
The second one I will take a look at. I did a mock up with two LR Databosses and a Avant X but nothing mounted yet. The Windows program is difficult to get running as it has impossible requirements that cannot happen on an up to date Win 10 system so I had to use my smartphone which is ok but not great. The programmers are not that expensive either and I am considering one very soon.

Since I am in my curve as it were, it seemed like when I set the levels lower it pulled in better. So what are the adjustable levels actually adjusting? I thought I was adjusting the output but it would not seem so. It will take some figuring based on the splitters it goes through and the sensitivity of the tuners. Some of the tuners are in my MythTV Box. For splitting off FM, I thought there were specialized splitters that had one input of course, one FM only output and the rest for TV. I intend to make use of the FM Input of the Avant X.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
For splitting off FM, I thought there were specialized splitters that had one input of course, one FM only output and the rest for TV. I intend to make use of the FM Input of the Avant X.
Hi Davesworld,

Regarding separating FM, @WileyOne1 tracked down where to order one about six months ago, per this post in a separate thread:

Good Luck! ~~ Statmanmi

41 - 60 of 106 Posts