AVS Forum banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
For what it is worth, I wanted to give an update now that I've tried some channel shifting. It works great. Easy to shift one RF channel to another RF Channel.

However, channel shifting did mess up my guide information for those channels. There is no guide information for any channel that I shifted. I am using a Tivo Roamio but all of them would probably behave the same way.

I saw this potential problem mentioned in another forum but there was no evidence of what actually happened.
Sadly, I can report that channel shifting interferes with the guide data for the shifted channels on Tivo's.

I had to do a channel search for the Tivo to find the channels on the new frequency. It correctly identifies the channels but there is no guide data to go with it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I had to do a channel search for the Tivo to find the channels on the new frequency. It correctly identifies the channels but there is no guide data to go with it.
There never will be either. Tivo's do NOT use over the air PSIP guide data. The Tivo company actually manually maps each individual RF channel to its own guide data. Since it's no longer where it's supposed to be, no guide.

You only have two choices IF you want to continue to use your Tivo:

1: Remove the Avant X, and go back to normal. Perhaps enhance your antenna system some other way, but keep the channels where they are supposed to be.
2: Look up guide info manually online with TitanTv or another provider, and set manual timers for everything.

Unless of course there's some way for the Avant X to process an RF channel, yet leave it on the same original RF channel at output? IF it can do that, then you could use it with a dvr such as Tivo that uses manually mapped guide data.

·
Registered
421 Posts
There never will be either. Tivo's do NOT use over the air PSIP guide data. The Tivo company actually manually maps each individual RF channel to its own guide data. Since it's no longer where it's supposed to be, no guide.
This is probably a big mistake on their part as the end result, even without channel mapping, is often an incorrect guide data. They should at least verify the guide data against PSIP.

·
Registered
9 Posts

You only have two choices IF you want to continue to use your Tivo:

1: Remove the Avant X, and go back to normal. Perhaps enhance your antenna system some other way, but keep the channels where they are supposed to be.
2: Look up guide info manually online with TitanTv or another provider, and set manual timers for everything.

Unless of course there's some way for the Avant X to process an RF channel, yet leave it on the same original RF channel at output? IF it can do that, then you could use it with a dvr such as Tivo that uses manually mapped guide data.
Option 2 is a no go for me. Ease of use and having guide data is important.
Option 1 is possible but combining the antennas with a simple splitter (reversed) results in losing some channels due to interference. Also, having two silicion dust homeruns and a home theater pc is just too complicated. It hurt my brain just trying to figure out how to do it and that isn't even considering my family.

The other option is just not to do any channel shifting. I did it to try and limit the RF interference on low vhf channels. I thought it might also affect high vhf so I did it for those channels too. I really only hoped to get 1 to 3 low vhf channels and those are not coming in despite my best efforts. That leaves me with all high vhf and maybe the RF interference isn't as bad as I thought. I'm going to try leaving them at their designated RF frequencies without shifting and see what happens.

Fortunately, I am not close enough to have competing channels at the same RF that would require shifting one of them to another frequency.

Too bad Tivo doesn't have the ability to remap their guide data onto other channels. That would be helpful for what I was trying to do. And it would be helpful otherwise, especially if their guide data isn't right for the channel you get but the data is in there for a channel that you don't get. And that definitely happens with their system!

Thanks for your comments. I am finding the Avant useful. Its a little expensive and far from perfect but it is an improvement for me.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Too bad Tivo doesn't have the ability to remap their guide data onto other channels.
Oh, but they DO. That's what they do on any channel change, such as the spectrum auctions. Now what you MEANT, was a way for them to individually remap their guide data for a particular person, such as in YOUR case. They MIGHT have that ability, but would they do it for an individual? That I don't know. I KNOW they can do it for cable systems, or even apartment master antenna systems. So they must have the ability. After all, your Tivo (I have a Tivo Roamio myself) have individual addresses, and IF you contact them and give them that for some reason, they can log directly into YOUR Tivo and change it. Just like a cable company can do.

Here's what I used to report my channel changes (Lineup Change Report, link below) due to spectrum auction or whatever, try it with the changes you made with the Avant X, and see if you can get them to remap your individual guide data. But, use the comment spaces to explain very carefully just WHY you need the changes only for yourself. Maybe they'll do it. If so, expect it to take a minimum of 3-5 days. You MUST give them the channel names, their original RF frequency, and the RF frequency that you shifted them to. IF they agree to do this, you must then leave them on whatever RF channel you shifted them to.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts