AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Panasonic went out and paid enormous amount to secure an option to distribute Avatar on Bluray as an exclusive deal with 3d early adopters and purchasers, youd think more information would be available to the public and especially from Panasonics Canadian website, the only info is on the .com. Furthermore, Ive been in touch with Best Buy, Future shop and other large retailers, and they know NOTHING about the promotion. Which leaves me to believe that Panasonics Marketing team isnt doing there job in all these continents. Its all about creating hype, and this was an opportunity for Panasonic to truly promote a great product ( VT25 ) and generate new adopters to 3d by including the best 3d film to date. Its an enormous failure because not one retailer knows about the promotion. Dec 1 is around the corner and nobody even knows about this... besides us offcourse. Not sure if the fault should be on Panasonic, Fox, or the retailers for not sending out the message.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19563883


The promotion starts Dec.1. That is when their websites will be updated. They have already said this in numerous articles and blogs. along with this:


Im aware of the ads, but its still an dismal failure in every respect, as retailers, who sell the product in the USA and in Canada which are 2 major markets are ingnorant about it even being available on Dec 1. Panasonic.com has a teaser, but Panasonic.ca mentions nothing. It is a monumental branding failure
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahayeah /forum/post/19563928


Im aware of the ads, but its still an dismal failure in every respect, as retailers, who sell the product in the USA and in Canada which are 2 major markets are ingnorant about it even being available on Dec 1. Panasonic.com has a teaser, but Panasonic.ca mentions nothing. It is a monumental branding failure

Why don't you just wait until Dec. 1 to make any rash judgements. Only two days away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19564041


Why don't you just wait until Dec. 1 to make any rash judgements. Only two days away.

im happy about the film, im making judgements because branding and marketing is what you do leading up to dec 1.
which they failed
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahayeah /forum/post/19564116


im happy about the film, im making judgements because branding and marketing is what you do leading up to dec 1.
which they failed

Well, that is your opinion. Panasonic has decided to wait until Dec. 1. They feel they don't need any marketing "leading up to Dec. 1" and instead will kick off the promotion on Dec. 1. I am sure they will be plenty of hoopla and fanfare on the 1st.


Plus, they really don't want people to wait to make a purchase of one of their 3DTVs until 12/1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,494 Posts
It's hard to call anything a failure when they will be shipping these things as fast as they can fill the orders. Little or no marketing is required. My guess is they will move all available copies in a pretty short time. Their biggest problem will be processing all the orders, so the less marketing the better from that perspective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19564236


Well, that is your opinion. Panasonic has decided to wait until Dec. 1. They feel they don't need any marketing "leading up to Dec. 1" and instead will kick off the promotion on Dec. 1. I am sure they will be plenty of hoopla and fanfare on the 1st.


Plus, they really don't want people to wait to make a purchase of one of their 3DTVs until 12/1.

lol Lee, its not an opinion, its fact based on a marketing and branding education. The .com info clearly states past and future viera customers.Im simply stating they could have gotten more bang for there buck if they have informed there retail partners. Also have info on the nternational sites.

On dec 1, they will give a form to existing clients to claim there copy, but what would have worked better is to have retailers inform potential buyers especially now during the holidays about the bundle, its not even on amazon.. Poor campaign. Its a fact not an opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/19564314


It's hard to call anything a failure when they will be shipping these things as fast as they can fill the orders. Little or no marketing is required. My guess is they will move all available copies in a pretty short time. Their biggest problem will be processing all the orders, so the less marketing the better from that perspective.

Actually yes sometimes little or no exposure does work, but in this situation and since 3d is still an unsure purchase among buyers this was a massive opportunity to draw in new buyers, and they had months to build on this and failed to do so. Especially at the retailer level.

I wouldnt worry about orders, thats the easy part, they are already pressed i can garanttee you. They could have sold more tvs and exposed Panasonic much more.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahayeah /forum/post/19564323


lol Lee, its not an opinion, its fact based on a marketing and branding education. The .com info clearly states past and future viera customers.Im simply stating they could have gotten more bang for there buck if they have informed there retail partners. Also have info on the nternational sites.

On dec 1, they will give a form to existing clients to claim there copy, but what would have worked better is to have retailers inform potential buyers especially now during the holidays about the bundle, its not even on amazon.. Poor campaign. Its a fact not an opinion.

Best Buy is supposed to tell their customers on Black Friday:


"Don't buy that $1500 3DTV today. Wait until Dec. 1"

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart
Best Buy is supposed to tell their customers on Black Friday:


"Don't buy that $1500 3DTV today. Wait until Dec. 1"

hehe well i called 10 best buys, in canada and usa, and 2 of the sales personel in the home theatre new what i was talking about ... but they knew because of what they read here...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Lee Stewart is right on this. I think you are jumping the gun calling out Panasonic on poor marketing. They wouldn't wont to start promoting too early as it could off set November sells. And its not like any retailer is going to tell you to come next month to get this tv.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes
It's hard to call anything a failure when they will be shipping these things as fast as they can fill the orders. Little or no marketing is required. My guess is they will move all available copies in a pretty short time. Their biggest problem will be processing all the orders, so the less marketing the better from that perspective.
Totally agree on this. They are going to be pressing copies and fulfilling orders just as if it were a wide release. My guess is the rebate form will be online to print & mail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner
Totally agree on this. They are going to be pressing copies and fulfilling orders just as if it were a wide release. My guess is the rebate form will be online to print & mail.
absolutely! they are ready and the pressing has been done for months, What they lost out here was an opp to truly get a new niche of clientele and support for 3d. They failed to advise all retailers, and have info on all the panasonic sites (canada) which i thing was biggest mistake. Yes Panasonic owners will have there movies but new buyers still dont know about it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811
Lee Stewart is right on this. I think you are jumping the gun calling out Panasonic on poor marketing. They wouldn't wont to start promoting too early as it could off set November sells. And its not like any retailer is going to tell you to come next month to get this tv.
What you say makes no sense, mainly because no matter when you buy a tv you get the movie. So past, present and future. Starting to make sense?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahayeah
What you say makes no sense, mainly because no matter when you buy a tv you get the movie. So past, present and future. Starting to make sense?
I get what you are saying. I still think its too early to say how they have done. People will be buying new tvs from black Friday all the way to the super bowl. I'm sure they will ramp up the marketing soon. I myself am a samsung guy, I own UN46C8000. Its kinda small so I'm in the market to get the PN63C8000 but considered the Panasonic 58/65 vt20 only because of avatar 3d. I feel Samsung offers better value, cheaper plus more features and excellent picture quality. Panasonic has done a great job without marketing as I was dead set on anther samsung but with avatar pulls me toward Panasonic. I'm still in the air as which to get but most likely Samsung, but I'm going to wait for ces to see whats in store for next year, I can wait as I have a great tv in the c8000 I own now.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahayeah
What you say makes no sense, mainly because no matter when you buy a tv you get the movie. So past, present and future. Starting to make sense?
You missed the crux of the Dec 1. announcement. Those buying a 3DTV (VT and GT) on Dec 1. or afterwards get the Ultimate Pack included at no extra charge. The UP includes two pair of their newly redesigned active shutter glasses (which are now USB rechargable instead of battery operated) AND . . . the Avatar 3D BD which is right in the box.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner
It is still pretty cool that Panasonic is looking to make previous buyers get Avatar along with new customers. I purchased my 50VT25 in September.
that is cool they did that, I got my c8000 back in April. I got the MvsA bundle, I wouldn't mine getting how to train your dragon and sherk 3d. At least give us the opportunity to buy them because I bought a samsung 3d tv.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Panasonic has stated on facebook they have limited copies of avatar on 3d and trying to get a copy to everyone who bought a tv in Canada or the USA . They may limit the bundle packs to increase copies of the DVD to send out to already customers who bought a tv.. It was James Cameron and the studio on the date not panasonic.
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top