AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the exclusivity window ends up being shorter. Panasonic really hasn't been pushing this promotion (I certainly haven't seen much in the way of advertising) and once the big holiday push is over I very much doubt they will be selling many 3D TVs based solely on getting this one title for free.

Also, come next fall there will be lots of high profile 3D movies available for sale: Green Lantern, Thor, Tron Legacy, etc. This holiday season was Fox's chance to really have the 3D market all to themselves but by this time next year Avatar will simply be one movie in a big crowd of 3D blockbusters vying for the consumer's dollar. The longer Fox waits, the less sales they're likely to have. For their sake, I hope Panasonic greased their palms nicely.

And besides, once you get past the visuals Avatar really isn't all that great of a movie - carboard cutout characters, heavy-handed plot and an apologist message. While it may be great as a one-time showcase for 3D, the reality is that it really doesn't hold up well to repeated viewings. Personally, with all the other good content available, I'm really indifferent to this movie. Once it becomes available at a reasonable price I'll think about buying it, until then, there's plenty of other content to sample.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP /forum/post/19646161

I wouldn't be surprised if the exclusivity window ends up being shorter. Panasonic really hasn't been pushing this promotion (I certainly haven't seen much in the way of advertising) and once the big holiday push is over I very much doubt they will be selling many 3D TVs based solely on getting this one title for free.

Also, come next fall there will be lots of high profile 3D movies available for sale: Green Lantern, Thor, Tron Legacy, etc. This holiday season was Fox's chance to really have the 3D market all to themselves but by this time next year Avatar will simply be one movie in a big crowd of 3D blockbusters vying for the consumer's dollar. The longer Fox waits, the less sales they're likely to have. For their sake, I hope Panasonic greased their palms nicely.

And besides, once you get past the visuals Avatar really isn't all that great of a movie - carboard cutout characters, heavy-handed plot and an apologist message. While it may be great as a one-time showcase for 3D, the reality is that it really doesn't hold up well to repeated viewings. Personally, with all the other good content available, I'm really indifferent to this movie. Once it becomes available at a reasonable price I'll think about buying it, until then, there's plenty of other content to sample.

Green Lantern - 2D to 3D conversion

Thor - 2D to 3D conversion

Captain America - 2D to 3D conversion

The Green Hornet - 2D to 3D conversion

Tron Legacy - if you didn't like Avatar, you aren't going to like this movie either. It's all eye candy with a weak story.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19646487

Alice in Wonderland pretty much sold me on the viability of 2D>3D conversions. Excellent depth (the crowd scenes early on of Alice at the engagement party seem to go far into the background), nice 3D pop (swords and picks come out of the screen in a very convincing manner) and negligible ghosting. If you haven't seen it yet, I'd urge you to check it out.

When the studios take the time to do it right, 2D>3D can be just as effective as native 3D. Besides, with movies like Thor and GL, the effects will be rendered via CG and that should further mitigate the 3D effect.

Quote:
Tron Legacy - if you didn't like Avatar, you aren't going to like this movie either. It's all eye candy with a weak story.

I have no problem with eye candy and fluffy stories. Some of my favorite movies are ones where I checked my brain at the door.

What I don't care for are pretentious movies with heavy-handed messages and egomaniac directors who can't grasp the concepts of editing and pacing.

·
Registered
359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP /forum/post/19646161

And besides, once you get past the visuals Avatar really isn't all that great of a movie - carboard cutout characters,

Are you serious about the flat images? I've only experienced that on crappy 3D demos in Best Buy (although it could be the TV). Never on a Blu-Ray 3D release on my set at home. What type of TV do you have?

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadocs /forum/post/19647231

Are you serious about the flat images? I've only experienced that on crappy 3D demos in Best Buy (although it could be the TV). Never on a Blu-Ray 3D release on my set at home. What type of TV do you have?

He is referring to the acting and the roles the actors play in the movie. Not the quality of the 3D.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19647320

He is referring to the acting and the roles the actors play in the movie. Not the quality of the 3D.

Thanks Lee, that is what I was trying to say. They were all stereotypes in my opinion. I wasn't commenting on the quality of the 3D. Poor wording on my part.

·
Registered
789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19646487

2D to 3D conversion doesn't bother me after watching Alice in Wonderland. I think the 3D looks excellent. I think one of the reasons is the movie was originally planned to be filmed in 3D, but it was later decided to do it in post production. As far as Clash of the Titans, I believe the 2D to 3D conversion was quickly done to make a quick buck and it didn't look very good at all.

There is no official word that Panasonic actually has the exclusive rights to Avatar 3D until February 2012. I really hope that's not the case.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The only winners with these stupid deals are the movie studios. Panasonic must have paid Cameron WAY more money for exclusive rights than he could have ever made selling the 3d bluray seperately. If every single 3d tv owner bought the movie in 2011 I bet it still wouldnt be as much profit as the exclusive deals are.

Hardware makers are screwing themselves by buying into these deals because people arent going to buy a 3d tv if they see that theres nothing to watch. They need to wise up, the movie studios are laughing all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idividebyzero
The only winners with these stupid deals are the movie studios. Panasonic must have paid Cameron WAY more money for exclusive rights than he could have ever made selling the 3d bluray seperately. If every single 3d tv owner bought the movie in 2011 I bet it still wouldnt be as much profit as the exclusive deals are.

Hardware makers are screwing themselves by buying into these deals because people arent going to buy a 3d tv if they see that theres nothing to watch. They need to wise up, the movie studios are laughing all the way to the bank.
someone bought a sony .. lol

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
All I know is that when I do buy a 3D HDTV, I will own Avatar 3D. Regardless of other movies that come out, it is still the standard to own. If you want to show off you 3D set I would think Avatar would be one to pull out to show off.

I would also expect to see Panasonic advertise the heck out of the Avatar thing when we get closer to the Superbowl. That is the largest selling period for HDTVs. I have also seen the Avatar 3D commercial a lot recently. I haven't shopped for a 3D HDTV, but I would imagine a decent salesman would let people know of the deal.

·
Registered
172 Posts
While it's true that there will probably still be a premium on Avatar on eBay and such, I've got a feeling the premium will be much more reasonable in the next few months. I'd be ok paying 50 for it, but no more than that. I can wait hehe

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit7319 /forum/post/19663133

While it's true that there will probably still be a premium on Avatar on eBay and such, I've got a feeling the premium will be much more reasonable in the next few months. I'd be ok paying 50 for it, but no more than that. I can wait hehe

I agree and actually you can see it has gone down since it first "came out exclusively" from about $300 per sale to around $150 now. I would actually be willing to pay about $80 for it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts