AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I went to my local BB and lo and behold, they had a Panny 50" VT25 setup right out in the front of the shop running Avatar 3D!

Saw about 15 minutes of it with the newer Panny glasses.....my impressions:

Overall excellent video quality and 3D effects....definately at the top or near the top of the 3D title heap so far. Good depth, some pop (maybe not as much as I thought I saw in the theater), and good effects throughout.

However, it's not perfect. There were a few scenes where I did see some slight ghosting and crosstalk. Also, the whole movie itself seemed rather too dark and the colors at times seemed washed out. I'm not familiar with Panny plasmas so I'm not sure if it's the settings on the TV not being set up right or maybe the store lights were too bright. I don't know.

It's definately a killer app for Panasonic but for me personally (who doesn't own a Panny), I can't see myself shelling out more than $100 for it. I love all the CGI and 3D effects but hate the story and characters. I can't see myself watching the movie more than twice because of it. Now if it's the Lord of the Rings we're talking about....well that's different!

BTW, the Avatar 3D kit at BB is $399 and not $199 as someone posted earlier.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Could always do the switch a roo and bring the Avatar Bluray with you and swap it out of the player for the 3D one lol

I kid I kid.

But with all the money Cameron has made I would not feel that bad about it but would not be worth the legal troubles I would have to endure if I got caught.

Burns me up this is not available to everyone who has made the plunge to support the technology that Cameron himself was pushing to the public.

·
Registered
534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew1251 /forum/post/19576349

I'm from uk word any one buy one for me if I paid them

I could, I've already sent 3d Blu-rays to France and Germany. However, you have to understand that it's not being sold sepearately, it's being sold with the glasses for $400. That's the only way to get it right now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigric
Could always do the switch a roo and bring the Avatar Bluray with you and swap it out of the player for the 3D one lol

I kid I kid.

But with all the money Cameron has made I would not feel that bad about it but would not be worth the legal troubles I would have to endure if I got caught.

Burns me up this is not available to everyone who has made the plunge to support the technology that Cameron himself was pushing to the public.
It's all about greed. Fox and Cameron turned out to be the same greedy humans portraded in the movie Avatar. Small world.

How ironic.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think it is not about greed. Cameron would have a hard time spending all the money he has already made. To think that greed is his motivation in holding off letting the public buy his movie is unrealistic.

An open release of Avatar 3D would generate a large amount of sales rapidly. The profits would be huge. What is the marginal manufactoring cost of a bluray? A buck?

I suspect there is more related to contract terms between players that have not been made public. Who knows what promises were made in the process of creating the camera.

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 /forum/post/0

I think it is not about greed. Cameron would have a hard time spending all the money he has already made. To think that greed is his motivation in holding off letting the public buy his movie is unrealistic.

An open release of Avatar 3D would generate a large amount of sales rapidly. The profits would be huge. What is the marginal manufactoring cost of a bluray? A buck?

I suspect there is more related to contract terms between players that have not been made public. Who knows what promises were made in the process of creating the camera.

Possible but I suspect it has to do with how saturated the market is with home 3D right now. While everyone and their mother who has a 3D setup would buy Avatar 3D, I believe that the market saturation is not high enough to make the big studio feel they would make more money than whatever they were offered by Panasonic (as of now) Also, if they wait until the market is more saturated with 3D ready devices, they can have a bigger bang upon release (in addition to raking in whatever Panasonic gave them for now). It's a classic win win that big business will never overlook.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSB /forum/post/19576025

However, it's not perfect. There were a few scenes where I did see some slight ghosting and crosstalk. Also, the whole movie itself seemed rather too dark and the colors at times seemed washed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSB /forum/post/19576025

or maybe the store lights were too bright.

Bingo Bango

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just finished watching my Avatar 3D bluray on my Sony Bravia 3D TV.

The quality is excellent! Crystal clear and zero crosstalk!

Don't know what's up with that Panasonic 3D display at Best Buy but on a Sony Bravia it totally rocks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.