AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 3536 Posts

·
Registered
19,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 HERE

Unfortunately I just got the email and it looks like much of them are sold out already. (None of them are by me so it matters little anyways). It would have been nice to see it in 3D, but I would imagine within a few days it will be posted on the net anyways. To those who manage to get tickets, enjoy!!!

·
Registered
19,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/17017889

The day I pay a theater admission price for a trailer is the day....

It's free (anyone call to check?). You get to see it in IMAX3D or Real3D, and I assume there will be extra stuff given away.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Yes it's free. That would be stretching it to ask someone to pay to see a trailer. I'm in Chicago and the two places showing the film are booked. The only other nearby location is in Indianapolis, IN. I'm trying to see how far that is from me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I read some place that this is going to be the best movie with no story ever. The movie looks great but the story isn't really there. However I still want to see it but now I'm not expecting as much as I once was. As for the movie itself when does it come out?

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Even if it's free it's just a frakkin trailer people, and I'm having hard time to justify to go see a movie in a theater as it is. It will be all over the net to see.

·
Registered
19,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun /forum/post/17028785

Even if it's free it's just a frakkin trailer people, and I'm having hard time to justify to go see a movie in a theater as it is. It will be all over the net to see.

I think (but don't quote me) James Cameron will be hooked up live, or at least they will show some "How it's made" stuff after the trailer is run. Besides, if you live nearby, it's free- why not?

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun /forum/post/17028785

True, that.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazo /forum/post/17024991

I read some place that this is going to be the best movie with no story ever. The movie looks great but the story isn't really there. However I still want to see it but now I'm not expecting as much as I once was. As for the movie itself when does it come out?

what do you mean the movie will have no story? it BETTER!!!

because I don't care about special effects as much as a good story.....now I have a bad feeling the movie is going to bomb big time......hope not for Cameron's sake.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
I have confidence this movie will have an engaging story. Cameron has shown consistently that he is interested in telling stories, and that the technology is used in service of that goal.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
He's got a good track record as a writer:
The Terminator (1984)
Aliens (1986)
The Abyss (1989)
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)
True Lies (1994)
Strange Days (1995)
Titanic (1997)

In fact, given such an outstanding record of writing and producing, I'm kinda curious why anybody would expect Avatar to lack a strong, original storyline.

There is a group of critics who seem to dump on everything that is released in 3D in a theater as lacking a good strong story. That is a fair criticism of some films released by other filmmakers in 3D, but it's never been true of a film written and produced by James Cameron.

In the intervening 12 years since Titanic, Cameron has experimented with 3D photography in his documentary Titanic 3D: Ghosts of the Abyss (2003), which used the same 3D process he selected for Avatar. He claims to have made technology improvements to the IMAX 3D process, and I find such a claim credible.

Speaking personally, I'm hoping to find a local digital theater with a 4K projector, and hoping the Digital Cinema file is also 4K resolution. When 3D is simply used to enhance the viewing experience for a film that otherwise would be a strong success in the 2D form, the result is outstanding.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Nice trailer. The Avatars themselves look really good. I assume that when a 10-foot-tall humanoid is shown next to a human actor of normal stature, we are actually seeing a CGI character. But when two actors are in costume together, it is probably live photography on a slightly undersized set. Amazing how Zoe Saldana can look sexy as a 10-foot, blue-skinned, golden-freckle-faced alien - maybe the costume which seems to consist only of a few beads is enhancing that impression.

The alien jungle predators look like they are wearing camoflage "ghillie suits", I find that an interesting and convincing take on alien biology.

I notice similarities to Aliens in the set with the lander on the planet surface, and of course the obvious simularities between the combat 'droids and a bare Terminator chassis. But it appears to be more of a familial relationship than an imitation of another film. Not that I would have any criticism of Cameron if he chose to imitate himself....but Avatar has a look all it's own, I can't wait for December.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The haters are already out saying that the Avatars look like something out of a videogame cutscene. I play a LOT of games and I've never seen any of them look that real. IMO they look as real as any human I've ever seen in a movie.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here's one that's not impressed. It looks like any other CGI, sorta. Definitely not the new state of art everyone was talking about.

But that's good. I had pretty high expectations before. I hope I will be surprised in the theater

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I find the CGI compelling. In fact I believe that they filmed the live actors in costume, then overlaid a 50% enlarged image on the film frame to acheive the scale they wanted. It's an interesting approach. They may have enhanced the facial area to improve the character expressions - and perhaps that is one of the enhancements that they are still working on until December, such only being done today for the trailer itself.

In the case of Zoe Saldana her costume puts me in mind of Rebecca Romijn's as "Mystique" in the X-Men movies - meaning it consists primarily of blue paint. In this case, instead of applied scales, there are just a few beads to hide her "naughty parts".

Here's an English language version of the trailer above:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/avatar/trailer

...which has the screen credits and the three words of dialogue in English ("This is great!"), but is otherwise identical to the French version linked above.

1 - 20 of 3536 Posts