AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a sharp 37 inch lcd--the one with an avc unit i can install up to 30 feet away from the tv ( i have mine in a closet 20 feet away) and i love the amazing uncluttered look i get ----it's swing arm mounted, and i ran the single cable for the tv- to- avc box through the wall and under the floor, and into the closet-- where i have everything else--dvd, vhs, audio, computer, etc. my question is, does anyone else offer this "avc" type system, or did they in the past ( my next purchase needn't be "state of the art"--a few years old is ok)

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Almsot everyone has a flavor of a control box, depending on the model of the display. Off the top of my head, Sony, Panasonic, and Pioneer all offer such things, again depending on the model.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Feel lucky you have your AVC box....i bought the 30" Aquos without the AVC not knowing they are next to impossible to find and now my TV is useless.

Sharp USA wants $950 for one. They are insane.

They go for like $275-350 on ebay, but don't come up that often.

·
Premium Member
18,295 Posts
I think the flat panel makers are getting away from AVC boxes. Panasonic stopped using them last year with the Onyx series and Sony doesn't even make plasmas anymore. JVC plasmas had an AVC box but i think they're getting out of the plasma business too (they only make two models where they used to have like a half dozen).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are AVCs interchangeable between models to some extent?

I am just really pissed that I can't adjust the picture of my TV.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan23
Are AVCs interchangeable between models to some extent?
In a word, no.

Those coming along later who might be tempted by a panel without an AVC box should be aware that this is often an indicator of a stolen panel.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyj19
Those coming along later who might be tempted by a panel without an AVC box should be aware that this is often an indicator of a stolen panel.
Or it could be just the AVC broke, nobody wanted to pay $950 for an AVC, thus sold the AVC for parts and the display separately (targeted for someone with working AVC but broken display)

I think if you buy a panel w/o an AVC, one should realize you are basically buying a computer monitor. You'd be better off buying a computer monitor which can probably be had for less.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
Or it could be just the AVC broke, nobody wanted to pay $950 for an AVC, thus sold the AVC for parts and the display separately (targeted for someone with working AVC but broken display)

I think if you buy a panel w/o an AVC, one should realize you are basically buying a computer monitor. You'd be better off buying a computer monitor which can probably be had for less.
Right. I bring this up only because receiving half of a broken display is okay, but a reader may not wish to be involved with receiving stolen property.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clepto
Almsot everyone has a flavor of a control box, depending on the model of the display. Off the top of my head, Sony, Panasonic, and Pioneer all offer such things, again depending on the model.
Can you give some models that have external connection boxes? I've been typing my fingerprints smooth trying to google various combos of "LCD plasma external connection extension inputs" etc etc etc

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hitachi 42hdt50 and 42hdt51 have avc boxes. I believe I saw overstock.com has the 42hdt51, although the price is about what it retailed for. It does have ATSC and QAM support tho, the 42hdt50 does not.

Don't know any other specific model numbers...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.