AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used AVCable.com speaker cables? I've seen recommendations about their video cables but couldn't find anything about their speaker cables.

Do they compare well with the other main brands?

Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
I custom ordered a 30ft s-video cable from them to run to my projector. I was happy with the picture quality until a few months ago when the cable failed. Something seems to have come loose at the connector that attches into my processor. I only get a b/w picture unless I giggle the wire around, then the color comes back.

Its safe to say that I will NOT be ordering from them again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think you will find that one of the wires is coming loose on one of the pins. IMO S-Vid are some of the most fragile cables around and should be treated with care when handling and routing. I feel that a lot of companies don't treat cable strain relief seriously enough with these types of cables.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by magster
I think you will find that one of the wires is coming loose on one of the pins. IMO S-Vid are some of the most fragile cables around and should be treated with care when handling and routing. I feel that a lot of companies don't treat cable strain relief seriously enough with these types of cables.

I am sure that what you described is the cause of my problem. The cable was always handled with care. I don't know of this is a design problem or I simply got a bad sample, but this is the only cable I have ever had fail on me - ever.

If this was a cd player or amplifier, a warranty claim would be easy. Unfortunately making a claim will invovle significant work on my end as I ran the cable behind a wall and over a suspended ceiling. (Yes, I was very careful when routing the cable.) For now, I would just rather jiggle the wire instead of taking on the project of running a new wire. One thing I will say about avcable.com, they are inexpensive. At least I don't feel like I have a ripped $100 bill hiding behind my wall. When I do get around to replacing the cable, I will probably just get a different brand rather than risk a second failure and another job of routing the cable.

·
Preditor
1,510 Posts
or the problem could be not with the cable, but your projector. I've had a number of processors over the year and more than half of them eventually develop S-Video connector problems. My Lexicon DC-1 was by far the biggest offender where I constantly had to 'jiggle' the connector.

Don't write off the cable, could be the input on your projector failing. Have you tried another cable ?

I've purchased tons of cable from AVCable (no, I don't work for them) and haven't had a single problem yet.

Why don't you contact them and tell them about your problem, see what they offer you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.