AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the MediaCaster kit - distributes one video source to all TVs, IR to one other TV. The distributed picture is pretty bad. I am using the CableCaster as the sole splitter/amplifier in the system. Today I noticed that the picture for the rest of the cable channels was very good on other TVs, but on the TV with the MediaCaster, the picture was snowy on all channels. So, I removed the 3-way splitter between the TV and the MediaCaster (VCR, Digital cable, etc) - didn't help. I finally removed the MediaCaster and re-inserted the 3-way splitter; Great picture.

Is the MediaCaster supposed to drop the signal that much - way more than a 3-way splitter?

Note that I haven't had a chance to contact support yet, I am just fishing for experience/advice.

thanks

bill

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have been unable to contact support (snowstorm?), so if anyone has any info, I would be grateful.

thanks

bill

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally did get through to support. He suggested by-passing the MediaCaster for the local TV. That worked better, but I was never able to get a very good picture in my house - perhaps the cable runs are too long. It was no hassle returning the system.

Anyway, I purchased a ChannelPlus 4-channel modulator kit. After quite a few hundred dollars, I have a pretty good picture from the Replay; the Tivo is not quite as good. Both are much better than with the AVCast system. Some channels are better than others, but no matter which channels I try, the Replay provides a better picture than the Tivo. I get this weird concentric wavy pattern in the picture. If I unplug the source cable completely the picture is perfect, so it must be some sort of interference from the cable? I tried adding 2 low pass filters in series, but the extra didn't help.

Thought I would provide an update.

bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.