AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about the feature that embeds date/time information as subtitles. Is it a sony camcorder only feature or is it a feature of PMB/Vegas software. If it is sony camcorder specific, then do I have to do anything special to enable this feature or is it available all the time by default. If it is software related, then if I import canon hf10/100 recorded files in PMB/Vegas, will I automatically get the date/time embedded as subtitles, or Canon supplied software can also perform the same magic?

·
Registered
452 Posts
No answer for your specific question, but I can testify that iMovie (apple) shows date/time on every frame from .mts files of my Panasonic SD9. Didn't Sony and Panasonic develop AVCHD consumer format?

From iMovie Help:

"As the pointer moves over each video frame, the recording date and time appear above the pointer along with any keywords you've tagged that video frame with. You can also have the timecode for each video frame appear along with this other information."

As I scrub over my video clips, the timecode display tracks right along with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. Yes I understand each frame should be individually tagged with this meta-data. But I read in one of the threads that Sony SR-11/12 generated AVCHD DVD's have the date/time embedded in subtitle stream. No such claim was made by canon/panasonic owners.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talbain, that is established. But, what about canon recorded files but burned on disk via PMB/Vegas?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Actually, it's turned on by default on the Sony, but you can turn it off (Home->SETTINGS->MOVIE SETTINGS->SUB-T DATE->YES/NO). Note that this feature on the Sony side isn't limited to AVCHD camcorders. It was also implemented on some of their SD-DVD camcorders (DCR DVD-403 has it in it's manual).

I've just looked at the HF-100 manual and it doesn't seem to provide a way to control it.

That all suggests that it is a Sony feature and not an AVCHD feature.

That being said, there are a few ways to get the similar results:

1. Use a HDMI capture board and capture the playback with the timestamps turned on.

2. Use an post process effect that render the timestamp (the information itself is available on all AVCHD clips via metadata and/or sidecar file) upon transcoding. I don't know which video editing software has this kind of effect, but I'm sure there are some that support it.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Also found through Googling that ULead seems to respect that SUB-T DATE feature on DVD footage, so maybe they're supporting it for AVCHD too (thread here: http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtop...ighlight=stamp ). I don't own ULead unfortunately, so I can't confirm if Sony footage will show it as a sub title track or not.

I do find it surprising that there is so little information regarding a feature like this online, especially from Sony. If anything I would boast about it if I were them, since the others don't have it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts