AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having this issue for a while. I edit my avchd footage (shot with my HFS10, 24mbps, 60i). When i go to render the video in HD (I select save as type .avi, template: either HD 1080-60i YUV or HD 1080-24P YUV. It renders but when I go to play it back in divx, it says that I have invalid video file. In Windows mdia player, it will play sound only. I am able to create a non-hd (.avi with NTSCDV) and it plays sound and video. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. I've searched high and low and have be unable to resolve my issue.

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Can you open the created output file in Sony Vegas and does it contain both the video and audio?

Also, do you have a software player that plays AVCHD, such as Total Media Theater? If so, try playing the output file in that program. It could simply be that the DivX player or Media Player don't play that format properly.

·
Registered
373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxebrian /forum/post/16989621

I've been having this issue for a while. I edit my avchd footage (shot with my HFS10, 24mbps, 60i). When i go to render the video in HD (I select save as type .avi, template: either HD 1080-60i YUV or HD 1080-24P YUV. It renders but when I go to play it back in divx, it says that I have invalid video file. In Windows mdia player, it will play sound only. I am able to create a non-hd (.avi with NTSCDV) and it plays sound and video. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. I've searched high and low and have be unable to resolve my issue.

Thanks, Brian

I noticed the same problem and I reported it to Sony. They said they couldn't repro. Note that you can import again into Vegas and it will play there.

I did some investigation and I found a bit changed in the strl format header but nothing else (compared to Vegas 8 which plays for me). So I created a little program that will reset the bit and that will play the file. See
http://cid-0a4ae3fb12a26635.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/Utilities.

Download the 3 files and run the cmd from cmdline with first argument the AVI file you want to change.

This works fine for me but use at your own risk.

I believe if you had the right codec you wouldn't have these problems which is why some cannot repro. But no idea what codec is needed here. Full K-lite codec pack doesn't fix it at least.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love the software's interface, but it's been really buggy in version nine. Try going into your bios and turning off multi-core processing, render it, see if that works. Or, render it on a single-proc machine.

·
Registered
373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswright /forum/post/17008509

I love the software's interface, but it's been really buggy in version nine. Try going into your bios and turning off multi-core processing, render it, see if that works. Or, render it on a single-proc machine.

That's a different issue, I believe the issue here is that 9.0 AVI doesn't playback in most players but the workaround above works for me. Why Sony changed that I don't know.

If you talk about Vegas crashing while rendering then I've experienced that many times unfortunately:-(. I found Vegas 9 on 64bit OS to be pretty stable now (32bit still can crash and setting threads to 1 helps somewhat). One reason might be that it can use all the memory in 64bit OS.

Problems you still find:

- Rendering to WMV will interpret video levels incorrectly. Black will become dark gray. To workaround use 32-bit floating point (full range) and 2.222 gamma.

- WMV 1080i is still not supported:-(. Only 1080p but then you lose some of the smooth motion

- Downscale from 1080i to 720p is still poor. You lose visible sharpness (you could edit in Vegas and output as Sony YUV and then use TmpGenc Xpress to downscale much better)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts