AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
watched the movie in 3D imax.

waste of money if you want to see the movie in 3D.

3D for sure is better then the first movie. but there is no pop up at all. also since many action scenes have this cut after 1 second to next scene + shaky cam. can give a dizzy feeling.

it is actually pretty remarkeble that you can make a movie with big budget shot worse then part 1. because part 1 was shot very well. long action scenes in 1 take. even netflix daredevil is shot way better then most of the action in this movie.

only 2 or 3 action shots the action goes into slow motion and have to say, then it is indeed incredible. however 90% of action you can hardly make out what is happening. very dissapointing in that regard.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Shaky-cam is made worse by larger screens, so no surprise there.

As for the 3D... well, there's more to 3D than just pop-out. The first Avengers is easily one of the better 3D conversions I own, so if this one's better, then I guess that'll be okay.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
WAT? Avengers 3D is one of my go to disks.

It sounds like you went opening day and got a seat too close to the screen. I'll never do opening day/weekend/etc ever again.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The feedback on another forum regarding the 3D quality has been quite positive, with some having the opinion the 3D is better than in the first Avengers. I thought the 3D in the first was pretty great so if the second is even better I have something to look forward to.

I will agree on the ADHD quick-cut split-second editing being highly annoying though, and not a good fit for 3D. Actually not fan of it in 2D either. If it's no worse than it was in Edge Of Tomorrow then hopefully I can tolerate it. I'll have to reserve judgment until I get the 3D Blu though most likely.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is actually a lot like edge of tommorow in editting. the 3D is better then Avengers 1. but i thought Avengers 1 3D was terrible, like they added 3D elements in the movie.

however if you watch a lot of 3D movies like me, then Avengers is a dissapointment. no pop up at all. specially for such a high blockbuster movie. so if you expect hobbit like quality 3D, then you will be in for a huge dissapointment.

also i was sitting at the row that is top middle. so like 75% from screen. it was perfect sitting. i only go if i know i have good seats. otherwise not spending the money and the time for travel etc to watch in imax 3D :)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
it is actually a lot like edge of tommorow in editting. the 3D is better then Avengers 1. but i thought Avengers 1 3D was terrible, like they added 3D elements in the movie.

however if you watch a lot of 3D movies like me, then Avengers is a dissapointment. no pop up at all. specially for such a high blockbuster movie. so if you expect hobbit like quality 3D, then you will be in for a huge dissapointment.

also i was sitting at the row that is top middle. so like 75% from screen. it was perfect sitting. i only go if i know i have good seats. otherwise not spending the money and the time for travel etc to watch in imax 3D :)
I have over 100 3d BD's and Avengers is one of the most impressive 3d conversions I've seen. I'm baffled by this.

Capt. America 2 and Thor 2, on the other hand.....

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have over 100 3d BD's and Avengers is one of the most impressive 3d conversions I've seen. I'm baffled by this.

Capt. America 2 and Thor 2, on the other hand.....

I agree. Avengers is my go to disk for 3D testing. I dont understand why the OP feels the other way.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I agree. Avengers is my go to disk for 3D testing. I dont understand why the OP feels the other way.
This debate has me really curious. I think I will have to check out the original Avengers this weekend on my 3DTV and chime in with my own opinion.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i saw Avengers 1 at 3D imax first time. and that is were i watched it in 3D. i dont have the 3D bluray, because i was so dissapointed with the 3D in imax of Avengers 1. and when i got a 3D projector i never bought it in 3D. however i did bought the other marvel movies in 3D.

for example when the aliens attack new york. the background is 2D and they add this layer infront of it with the aliens. it looked like those old 3D movies like jaws 4. it was terrible. specially when i was used to movies like Avatar. some of those action shots in Avengers 1 were just completly out of place.

i agree though that captain america 2 3D was worse and thor 2 was not very good to watch in 3D either. however thor 2 had at least descent action that you could watch in 3D. but still disspointing 3D release overall.

best convertd 3D movie i have seen so far is teenage mutant hero turtles although the story is bad. the 3D is incredible.

avangers 2 3D can not hold a candle to that movie if we are talking about 3D.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Loved the movie... :)

...but yeah...I also thought the 3D was barely passable. Not Tron Legacy bad, but no effort was made at all to really impress.(I had no trouble following the fast action though)

This is pretty much my exact same feeling on the original Avengers,(I deliberately bought the 2D blu)so if you thought THAT was great 3D you might like this too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I tried the 3D thing way back when Avatar came out... didn't like it. Slower scenes were easy to digest but once the action started it was nearly impossible for me to focus without concentration - and that took away from enjoying the actual film.

Avengers 2 was far better imho, but honestly I don't view 3D regularly. I thought there were some scenes that the effect was tremendous (the scene with the fire.. where the embers were really floating about was great) but largely the constant cutting was at times difficult.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Saw IMAX 3d enjoyed it. Only I was not very impressed with the 3d looked very flat almost 2d in 90% of it. Decent but as long as it was needed a bit more time for some better background on some of the newer characters but overall worth the price of a ticket. And worth a bs 3d buy. I think the less than stellar 3d might be Disney influence weening audiences away from 3d. Surprised to see this being released on bd in 3d holding my breath. I am a 3d fan and the universal Jurassic world IMAX 3d preview blew the avengers 3d away as did the last transformers. Just my 2c.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
It is released by Disney so there is some connection just saying. Look how universal pulled the 3d bd of its bomb seventh son in the U.S. Market. I really hope I am way off but look at how few 3D releases on BD there are including catalog titles in the next few months.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
It is released by Disney so there is some connection just saying. Look how universal pulled the 3d bd of its bomb seventh son in the U.S. Market. I really hope I am way off but look at how few 3D releases on BD there are including catalog titles in the next few months.
There are few releases right now because most 3D titles have already been released! And while Universal pulled SEVENTH SON (probably thinking that no one would buy it, since it bombed), the other two films that came out at the same time (JUPITER ASCENDING, SPONGE BOB) are coming. And on the indie side, the 3D RARITIES restoration collection is due in a few weeks. For catalog, Warners released KISS ME KATE and THE MASK is due in the fall. Even the THE MAZE RUNNER disc (a 2D movie) has a short film on it that is in 3D! The only thing that has stopped (aside from Disney) is the conversion of 2D catalog titles...most of which were disappointing anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I guess time will tell. By the way for 3d kiss me late was amazing. Love to see more 50s 3d ( it came from outer space) etc. definately interested in the mask.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Saw Age of Ultron in RealD 3D today; very entertaining movie (really don't agree with the various complaints I've read about the film itself) but the 3D was something of a letdown and not nearly as good as what we got in the first Avengers film in my opinion. While there is a pretty decent sense of depth most of the time, the film was not shot with 3D in mind at all so the added depth adds very little to the presentation. There was no pop out of the screen to speak of and the movie was very prone to ghosting. I don't know if it was a case of bad calibration or what but lots of scenes take place in dark areas with bright objects dotting the environment (skylights in dark rooms, faces and bright costumes against dark backgrounds, etc.) and the ghosting in these types of scenes was quite noticeable and distracting. It really looked like I was watching the movie on a 1st gen 3D plasma and I'll be curious to see if this problem crops up in the home video release down the road.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Saw it in Dolby Atmos. It was like listening to a Lincoln Park CD. No dynamics, just one huge square wave of noise.
Just because you have a 7 band compressor does not mean you have to turn it up to 11! And then Master it even louder. It sounded like one big mono thump of bass and no dimension. In comparison, the Atmos trailers were a treat.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Saw it in Dolby Atmos. It was like listening to a Lincoln Park CD. No dynamics, just one huge square wave of noise.
Just because you have a 7 band compressor does not mean you have to turn it up to 11! And then Master it even louder. It sounded like one big mono thump of bass and no dimension. In comparison, the Atmos trailers were a treat.
I saw it in an X-Plus theater with supposed 7 channel sound and had the same experience. The soundscape was so loud that there was no discernable sound separation; my 5.1 rig at home does a better job. Really don't see the point in having these multi-channel systems if they are not taken advantage of (it's the audio equivalent of bolted on 3D).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts