Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

The design changes on. I am now considering another location for my Rack, built under a stairwell which I can place a door on the other side of for rear access & which is a VERY cold location (i.e. lots of venting passing under there & concrete base).

Is there an average dimension people use for their equipment space?

I presently thinking about a 20" wide opening with a height of either 36" or 42" and a depth of either 5 feet (i.e. through stairwell) or 20". What's the gear?

Yamaha RX-V4600

Oppo DVD

Hughes 250 HD DVR

APC Surge Arrestor/Powerconditioner

Possibly a Lumagen or DVDO Scaling unit

***ROOM FOR EXPANSION!***

Thanks!

Bill Criss

·
Registered
244 Posts
Standard rack rail style is a 19" wide opening, which fits nearly all consumer and pro audio equipment. If you are just planning on making a shelf system I would say go at least 19" wide, but 20" would allow more airflow which is allways good. I would go as tall as possible while still fitting under the stairs so your expansion isn't limited. If you build the shelves 24" deep and then leave it open all the way to the other side of the stairs, you will be able to fit the deepest of components (even most HTPC cases) and still allow for easy cable runs and access from the other side of the stairs through a door. Overall I think that your current plan looks good. Good luck, and don't forget about extra airflow, even in a naturally cool space your equipment may get a little toasty.

Later,

Brian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.