AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. Having saved over the summer towards an HDTV, I find myself torn between flat-panel LCD (specifically for Xbox 360) or CRT RPTV (for movies and overall viewing). One question I can't find a firm answer to anywhere is:

What are the actual lines of resolution in a CRT RP HDTV? I know that CRT doesn't have a set line resolution like LCD or DLP, but there has to be an average resolution for these sets. For instance, I've been looking at a Sony 46" RPTV (KP-46WT520), and I'd like to know what kind of bang I'm getting for my buck.

So, can anyone tell me what the average lines of resolution (vertical and horizontal) are for CRT RP HDTVs? I appreciate any response.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I may be wrong but I think it is 540p.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Depends mostly on the size of the tubes and if the focusing is electrostatic or electromagnetic.

Most CRT based RPTV use 7'' tubes.

Now asking about CRT resolutions is like a penis size questionaire :)

For a 7'' CRT a realistic resolution is somewere between 700-800 lines.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

And theoretical is 1200 range ...

Actually it's more than 960 lines because a test pattern from a generator clearly shows the 960 line point on most CRT rptv's.

REgards

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Here's an extract from an '02 review of a 9"-CRT Mitsubishi indicating 1550--1600 lines maximum horizontal resolution. Most reviews/sources indicate ~1200 is typical of 7"-CRT models, as Michael points out, although some 7"-CRT displays, with tweaking, might deliver 1200--1400 lines.

My year-2000 9"-CRT Philips displays 1335 lines from HDNet's test patterns via one cable company, but only 1290 lines maximum from another cable company and a different converter. Haven't tried a pattern generator. And another member found a CableCard delivers 1600 HDNet lines into his LCD panel.

So test signal sources matter, and while a pattern generator seems best for measurements, what it shows as a maximum needn't correspond to what your STB might deliver as a maximum. Also, as that '02 Mits review points out, the maximum you might expect from typical program sources is

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.