AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just installed this card. Overall it is working fine, however, there is one local channel that only get 90% signal. When I tune to that channel, it will stutter badly. All other channels are fine. Is it a bad card? In the other room, I have another tv that connected to an HD receiver and that channel is working fine and smooth. I am wondering if I should return it and get a different brand instead. thanks

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Is the cable distance from your splirer to your TV and the PC the same lenght.?

Have you tried reversing the cables from your splitter?

Have you tried bypassing the splitter to increase the signal strength to the PC tuner?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/17016860

Is the cable distance from your splirer to your TV and the PC the same lenght.?

Have you tried reversing the cables from your splitter?

Have you tried bypassing the splitter to increase the signal strength to the PC tuner?

I have tried bypassing the splitter and it still showing 90% and not very good reception.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotelmania /forum/post/17016914

I have tried bypassing the splitter and it still showing 90% and not very good reception.

I think pc tuner cards in general show a higher strength than other tuners. I have Avermedias which show 98% and ATI showing 100% on stations that my Dish tuner shows as 85% with the same antenna feed. Even at that, anything in the 70s should be adequate. It may be a defective card. I have 3 Avers and have never had a problem with any of them.

You didn't mention if you have an extra split or so in the one to the pc - each split is a loss of 3db and can make a big difference on a borderline signal.

Also, is the problem with Live TV or recording or both? A lot of people have no problems with recordings, but do with Live TV. You didn't mention your software which can be another source.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest /forum/post/17016983

I think pc tuner cards in general show a higher strength than other tuners. I have Avermedias which show 98% and ATI showing 100% on stations that my Dish tuner shows as 85% with the same antenna feed. Even at that, anything in the 70s should be adequate. It may be a defective card. I have 3 Avers and have never had a problem with any of them.

You didn't mention if you have an extra split or so in the one to the pc - each split is a loss of 3db and can make a big difference on a borderline signal.

Also, is the problem with Live TV or recording or both? A lot of people have no problems with recordings, but do with Live TV. You didn't mention your software which can be another source.

I do not have an extra split just the one that come from outside and split 3 ways. The problem is with live TV and I use win7. I have tried to update the firmware to no avail

·
Registered
876 Posts
Try a recording and see if you have the same problem. Also, I'd suggest going to your local thread in this forum and see if anyone else is having a similar problem with that station. If you RMA the card at least you'll narrow down the problem or solve it. Getting another card is expensive and may not solve the problem. I'm using an Avermedia Bravo Hybrid with Win7 and it works perfectly, but I've been getting good OTA signals for over 3 yrs with other cards also - that one even has a 35' run on it.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
It is strange that only one channel is having a problem.

Does the sound also stutter?

Is the channel broadcasting in 720p(ABC, FOX) or 1080i(CBS,NBC and PBS)?

Is the channels broadcast tower in the same location as the towers for the other digital channels that you are not having trouble with?

What make/model graphics card do you have?

What program are you using to watch LiveTV?

Does the stuttering at all depend on the amount of motion in the content of the broadcast?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/17019171

It is strange that only one channel is having a problem.

Does the sound also stutter?

Is the channel broadcasting in 720p(ABC, FOX) or 1080i(CBS,NBC and PBS)?

Is the channels broadcast tower in the same location as the towers for the other digital channels that you are not having trouble with?

What make/model graphics card do you have?

What program are you using to watch LiveTV?

Does the stuttering at all depend on the amount of motion in the content of the broadcast?

yes the sound also stutter. IT is CBS. I am not sure where the tower is located. I use win 7 media center to watch live tv and the stutter does not depend on the amount of motion. I think I am going to return this card and get the Hauppauge card instead.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
What is your zip code?

Are both your graphic card and your audio card drivers up to date from the manufacturers Website?

Do you also have the problem with a CBS program recorded using the guide?

I do not suspect that it is a problem with the tuner card.

When both video and audio stutter the problem if often caused by out of date audio card drivers.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/17019784

What is your zip code?

Are both your graphic card and your audio card drivers up to date from the manufacturers Website?

Do you also have the problem with a CBS program recorded using the guide?

I do not suspect that it is a problem with the tuner card.

When both video and audio stutter the problem if often caused by out of date audio card drivers.

my zip code is 43081. I have not tried to record a program. I have updated the driver to the most current. thanks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I suspect it's the video card not being able to handle 1080i (interlaced) content or the TV is not able to to display it properly.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyckz /forum/post/17022710

I suspect it's the video card not being able to handle 1080i (interlaced) content or the TV is not able to to display it properly.

My video card is ati 4760 which should be able to handle 1080i and my system using core i7. As far as the tv, like I said when i connect the tv directly to my cable box, everything is fine. thanks

·
Registered
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotelmania /forum/post/17038220

My video card is ati 4760 which should be able to handle 1080i and my system using core i7. As far as the tv, like I said when i connect the tv directly to my cable box, everything is fine. thanks

Are you talking about an OTA signal or a cable signal? This is the first mention you have made about cable and I think we all thought you were referring to an OTA signal. Makes a big difference.

You're right about the video card, it's more than enough for HD.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Do you have the same problem with an NBC HD program? They also broadcast in 1080i and their transmitter is co-located with the CBS transmitter in your area.

Did you also update your audio driver from the vendor's web site?

Since audio is processed before video by your decoder if audio stutters so will video.

I would like you to record a CBS program using the guide and then play it back and see if the stutter repeats itself in the same place in the recording each time you try it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/17038322

Do you have the same problem with an NBC HD program? They also broadcast in 1080i and their transmitter is co-located with the CBS transmitter in your area.

Did you also update your audio driver from the vendor's web site?

Since audio is processed before video by your decoder if audio stutters so will video.

I would like you to record a CBS program using the guide and then play it back and see if the stutter repeats itself in the same place in the recording each time you try it.

No, NBC and all other QAM channel are fine. Only CBS HD that gives me problem. I ended ordering the Hauppauge 2250 and RMA avermedia which should arrive today. I would post update on wheter the new card can tune in to CBSHD. thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have just installed the new card Hauppauge 2250. Everything works fine. So, there is something wrong with the avermedia combo g2 that does not allow me to tune to CBS HD. thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
379 Posts
It's good you sort it all out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts