AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
My opinion: Avoid it like the plague. And that goes for any other contraption that puts a label on a DVD. Either use a DVD printer or a Sharpie.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
They work OK for CDs but not for DVDs, at least not in current DVD players. I used the Avery "stomper" myself for DVD-Rs at first, and all was OK with my first DVD player, a relatively early Pioneer model that was built like a tank. But newer players had problems with them, usually somewhere after the halfway mark. Apparently to keep costs down, manufacturers started to use cheaper motors and control systems that can't handle unbalanced discs as well as earlier models could.

Fortunately my computer's DVD drive can copy most of my "unbalanced" discs, so I've been copying them to new discs labeled with Sharpies. These play fine in my newer players.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Do NOT buy this product. I used one for a couple of years. The glue (or something ???) on the label reacts with the disks. After a year I had a big stack of disks that did not work, but all the disks without labels still worked fine.

Now I just use a sharpie.

If you want to get good looking labels, buy a printer that writes directly on the disk, there was a post on them some time ago, look

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack /forum/post/0

people say sharpies burn into DVDs too...

Buy the markers that indicate they are safe for use on CD/DVD discs to be sure.

YMMV

·
Registered
223 Posts
I used the Stomper for CDs, and the plastic CD holder stand is pretty much useless in helping you to allign the label with the CD edge. When you figure out how to use it, the Epson CD Print program that comes with the Epson Photo R220 works like a charm. Just remember that you can only import a picture from a folder, that copy and paste to the blank disc image on your monitor screen won't work. And generic ink cartridges don't clog up the printer's injectors like Epson ink cartridges apparently will if you don't print stuff regularly.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrytwo /forum/post/0

I used the Stomper for CDs, and the plastic CD holder stand is pretty much useless in helping you to allign the label with the CD edge. When you figure out how to use it, the Epson CD Print program that comes with the Epson Photo R220 works like a charm. Just remember that you can only import a picture from a folder, that copy and paste to the blank disc image on your monitor screen won't work. And generic ink cartridges don't clog up the printer's injectors like Epson ink cartridges apparently will if you don't print stuff regularly.

It's impossible to align the label without the stomper stand. You have to place the label sticky side up on the stomper stand and then place your cd on the stand and finally push or stomp cd down to contact the label. I found this labeling system works OK for cd's, but don't use it for DVD's. I suspect the drying glue warps the DVD over time and it becomes unreadable. I own this and have had lots of problems when using this with DVD's.

Jon

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack /forum/post/0

people say sharpies burn into DVDs too...

Is there an "acid ink" sharpie that nobody's told me about?

Seriously, the data layer of DVDs is sandwiched between two layers of polycarbonate, unlike CDs where the data layer is actually right underneath the label and laquer coating. You really don't have to worry about using any soft-tip pen on the label side of a DVD.

Some folks are reluctant to use sharpie markers because they store their DVDs on cakebox spindles and they're worried about the ink on the label side of one DVD getting onto the data side of the adjacent DVD. That's probably a more valid concern, but if the ink is dry there shouldn't be a problem, especially since the raised plastic hub is supposed to prevent the two surfaces from actually touching.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.