AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone recently gave me an .avi file with .srt subtitles and I cannot play the file using the subtitles. Does anyone know how to get this done. I am at a loss here. I am using a Mac Mini as my HTPC

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
What are you using to play the file back--Front Row, Plex, VLC? Front Row should play them automatically; do you know where to go to turn subs on in Plex and VLC?

Make sure the .avi name and the .srt name match exactly, i.e. "abcd.avi" and "abcd.srt, and that they are both in the same folder.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use XBMC and Plex. I do not know, at this time, where to switch the subtitles on for these programs. I will search sometime today to see if I can do so and will also try Front Row & VLC. Thanks for the tips.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
I do not know, at this time, where to switch the subtitles on for these programs.

With Plex, when you start watching that .avi, just press the Menu button on your Apple remote to call up the on-screen menu--right arrow over to the "Audio and Subtitles settings" icon, it looks just like the audio icon in the OS X menu bar--and you'll find "Enable subtitles" in there.

With VLC, choose the subtitle track in the Video menu bar drop down.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just in case this isn't already done... Make sure the srt file is named exactly the same as the avi file and that both are in the same directory/subfolder. Plex, VLC, Quicktime, etc will then automagically associate the subtitles with the movie and display them.

-H.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed the name of the srt to the same name as the avi, fired up VLC and selected subtitle under the video tab, and sure enough it worked. Thanks a lot guys. I learned something new today. Next I'm going to try it with both XBMC and Plex. Again, thanks a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts