AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does everyone calibrate the other inputs besides dvd,such as stb thru dvi connection and vcr thru composite ? Would I temporarily run my dvd player into my stb and then calibrate my dvi input ? or just manually assume the settings would be the same as the dvd input? Thanks

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Can you run a dvd player thru your stb? most don't have this capability.

In any case the output from the dvd player would not necessarily match what you get from the stb itself so it won't be exact.

Nor would the settings for your dvd player necessarily be the best for your vcr.

Generally what you want to do is go ahead and use AVIA on your dvd input, then get used to what it looks like playing films with little or no color alteration for dramatic effect as used by so many directors and cinematographers these days.

Once you're used to what black should look like and what correct color intensity and tint should look like you can adjust for your other sources by eye.

AVIA is not really a holy grail that's going to give you exact results anyway, most sets won't bloom in the contrast test, for example, even with contrast set way too high for accurate or safe viewing. In addition most sets have a degree of red push so the AVIA derived color control setting will usually be too high for accurate looking fleshtones. Black level (or brightness) and sharpness are about the only things you can get truly accurate using AVIA according to the instructions.

It's best to start with a contrast setting of 50% or less, then do the black level. Use the individual color bar patterns in the advanced section and the 3 color filters to set your color level so that no one color is overdriven, that way you'll avoid sunburned-looking faces.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Quote:
It's best to start with a contrast setting of 50% or less, then do the black level
Steve, does this also apply to DLPs (I have a Samsung HLP-5063W)? Most users, it seems, end up with contrast settings in the 85-90 range. Also is there a simple way to calibrate contrast? I've been using DVE for black levels, but the explanation of contrast calibration confuses me more each time I listen to it. :confused:

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
You use different criteria for adjusting contrast on digital displays vs CRT. Instead of blooming, you should be looking for white/black crush. The DVE disc actually has specific/better patterns for adjusting contrast/brightness on digital displays (crush becomes very obvious). On AVIA, use Gray Scale steps and ramps.

Max dynamic range is the key.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Marc stated:
Max dynamic range is the key.
Marc, could you expand on this, I'm not quite clear on it.

Also, would setting the contrast level with DVE use the same technique as setting black levels, but in reverse? IOW, bring down the contrast in order to see white above white on the pattern and then raise the contrast until anything over white disappears?

Hope that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bruce73
Also, would setting the contrast level with DVE use the same technique as setting black levels, but in reverse? IOW, bring down the contrast in order to see white above white on the pattern and then raise the contrast until anything over white disappears?
Yes, except I don't think there is any white above white on the pattern. So set it where nothing white is crushed.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Marc, I'm referring to the pattern that is divided horizontally, going from below black to above white in one half, and vice versa in the other, with small markers indicating those boundaries (I don't recall off hand its title). I believe it was in the Advanced Video Calibration section.

Is that the one I should be using?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.