AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a new TV probably an RPTV but maybe a tube but either way, using a disk like AVIA sounds very helpful. However, is it easy to use, do I need to go into the service menu, and if I do, does it tell me exactly what to do, becuase I don't want to screw things up. Can someone explain to me what this disk does? Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Avia will not tell you how to go into the service menu, but you can always buy the service manual from the manufacturer and then use it when you go into the menu to understand the tweaks.

In the beginning I would stick with Avia and the basic calibrations. The service menu has alot of stuff to play with, buts its also easy to mess things up even more

·
Registered
87 Posts
agreed. avia's "basic calibrations" refer only to the user menu that you can access by hitting the "menu" button on any remote. it goes through step by step to setup contrast, brightness, sharpness, color and tint. there are also some basic calibrations for audio setup too. beyond that, there's a wealth of advanced calibration screens and tests that are more for the service menu and isf tech's. don't worry.....i was able to use my avia dvd within 2 days of owning my first rptv and not knowing anything about the service menu.....greatly imrpoved the picture. it'll work great until you figure out how to do some more advanced stuff, then it'll work even better ;)

·
Registered
432 Posts
I rented Video Essentials a few days after buying my RPTV and adjusted using the user menu controls for a much better picture.

I later learned how to access the service menu and changed the settings for things like Red Push and LVM, and then when I got my copy of AVIA in the mail, I made the user menu changes (black level, color, etc...) from the service menu in order to make them the defaults for an awesome picture that won't be reset when the power goes off.

Short answer: you can achieve a great picture using a calibration disk without the service menu, but you can usually arrive at an even better picture with a couple small adjustments in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.