AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying this AVIA DVD since I can't find any info anywhere on how to calibrate my specific TV through the service menu. I have a question about it first though.

The main problem with my TV, that I can see offhand, is it is not centered and I believe the overscan is too high. Those are the only two things I'm looking to correct with this AVIA, but I want to make sure it does it before I waste like $50.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Are you asking if the disk gives you the info on how to access the service menu for your specific. TV?

Avia will give you a grid to go by within the programing of the disk for over-scan and many other things but it will NOT give you the ability to access the service menu for your TV.

Try this site.
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/

You may find the way to access it there. If not search here and the web.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by whphel
Are you asking if the disk gives you the info on how to access the service menu for your specific. TV?

Avia will give you a grid to go by within the programing of the disk for over-scan and many other things but it will NOT give you the ability to access the service menu for your TV.

Try this site.
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/

You may find the way to access it there. If not search here and the web.
No, that's not what I was asking. I know how to actually access the service menu for my TV, but after getting in it's like reading Greek. I've even been to the Keohi site and saw a description of what the values do, but it wasn't specifically for my type of set so I don't want to take the chance that it is wrong.

I just wanted to know if the AVIA DVD allows me to center my picture and adjust overscan, that's it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Imp
Okay, that's good. What about the centering of the picture though?
Well over-scan and centering are somewhat linked together. All I know is AVIA covers it ALL you wont be disappointed its a great tool to have. Besides once you go through the steps you may find out that you need it for much more than just centering and over-scan issues.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, one more question on this.

Does anyone know where (besides online) I can buy AVIA? I read somewhere someone said possibly Best Buy or Circuit City, but I just went to both and they looked at me like I had two heads. I really would prefer to find it in a store instead of waiting for it to be shipped.

Are there any other main chain stores that you know of that do carry this DVD? Thanks.

Tom

·
Registered
764 Posts
If you can't figure out how to adjust the H & V size on your TV, well, AVIA won't help much there. You should be able to get those settings adjusted pretty well by eye with any reasonably good video source. Just adjust things till you can see the edge of the picture, then back them off a bit until the edge just disappears. You don't really need AVIA for that, any TV station or DVD should be just fine. AVIA would possibly give you a better reference signal, but if your local TV stations are adjusted so bad that you still see the edges or they're stretched way off the screen, well, you'd probably do better to adust your TV to match those conditions rather than a reference signal anyway.

That said, I still recommend the AVIA disk for other TV settings, just not specifically for the settings in question here.

They sell it on Amazon. I bought mine from some website I'd never heard of that I found on a Google search, they beat Amazon's price by a few bucks. My guess is that used AVIA disks would be OK, my only concern is that the seller might have lost or destroyed the little plastic light filters that come with it.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I just got the Avia DVD and I fixed the centering and overscan some. I'm still having trouble getting it completely centered for some reason. The horozontal is pretty even, but the top's overscan is like 2% greater than the bottom and I can't even it out.

The thing I don't like is I have to do these adjustments from my set's service menu. Being that the menu is nothing more than abbreviations, I'm not exactly sure what each do so it's trial and error which takes forever. Before you say look it up on the Web, I have. The only codes I could find do not correspond with my set. Anyway, I was under the impression that you fixed these things directly through the DVD. I didn't know this was only a template to fix things. Unless of course I'm missing something here.

All I know is this Avia's directions weren't as thorough as I expected. When it came time to fix the color, it never once told me I had to do it through my actual TV's remote so I sat there for a good 15 minutes pushing button after button on my DVD remote.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Well your DVD remote was sure not going to work to adjust your TV. That's why you need your TV's remote.

And yes. Avia, Video Essentials, and Digital Video Essentials are all nothing more than a tool or more like a set of gauges to measure with, or like you said a set of templates, that you use to adjust a TV. But they themselves, can do no adjustments for you! Nor can they tell you the ways how all TV's can be adjusted, as they all vary. So they don't even try to give brand or model specific instructions, as it would be just about impossible to do so.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Then you should have bought a copy of Video Essentials or better yet, Digital Video Essentials instead. And you would have saved about $30 over what the Avia DVD cost you. As the new Digital Video Essentials, is just as good as Avia is. The original Video Essentials was not though, but for most people it was all that they needed.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Do yourself a favor and post your problem (with your TV model#) in one of the TV forums and ask exactly what settings you should adjust. After you you get your problem solved AVIA will help you get everything else looking it's BEST.

BTW: The main reason they put those things in the SERVICE menu is that you can really mess things up if you don't know what your doing (so be careful).

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. There are only 4 settings in the service menu that I really needed to access because the overscan was way too hign and the screen was not centered. I figured out which 4 they were and have adjusted them properly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.