Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All --

I poked around, but didn't see other folks with this same problem.

When using the AVIA calibration tones, my subwoofer never outputs any sound. When the sub is high-lighted, nothing. If I'm doing the speaker to LFE calibration tests, I hear the speaker in question trying (and failing, badly) to output the very low tones that should be left to the sub.

The subwoofer works fine with DTS and DD5.1 movies; the Dolby Digital advert / demo on the AVIA disc outputs sound on the LFE channel just fine. It's only when playing the test tones that it produces no sound.

The sub is an M&K. The amp is an old (~4 years) Sony.

Ideas?

Sage

·
Registered
225 Posts
Avia requires that speakers be set in the rcvr set-up to SMALL.

Otherwise, the test tones dont work.

LFE or low frequency effects are the .1 channel on DVD soundtracks; these movie effects go straight to the subwoofer when mains are set SMALL.

Bass management strips the ordinary low frequency signals from the fronts and surrounds and sends it to the sub (below whichever crossover point is chosen with 80Hz the standard).

Avia takes into account the difference betw ordinary low bass and LFE. This is why if speakers are left LARGE you dont hear the regular low bass in the sub.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You rock. That's exactly my problem. I didn't understand the "Large" and "Small" speaker settings, and assumed "Small" was for the bose speakers and the like vs. my M&K 750s.

Thanks much for the super quick newbie help.

Sage

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.