AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I read that the current version of these calibrating DVD's do not support plasama displays.

Questions are:

1- Is this true

and

2- if so. are newer versions for plasma available

tx.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Paul Hives:

AFAIK, Avia and Video Essentials are the only 2 consumer-level calibration DVD’s currently available. Joe Kane is working on the next generation VE, but it’s still in the works.

I have used VE and ColorFacts to calibrate my plasma and VE worked fine for setting brightness, but contrast was a problem. The contrast setting adjustment, using a bending vertical bar technique, doesn’t work with plasmas. There are other test patterns which help set it properly, but you have to look for them. VE also generates all test patterns for use with calibration equipment. I’ve been told that Avia may have better contrast adjustments for plasmas, but can’t vouch for that information.

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
David,

What both VE and AVIA were missing was a calibration section for PAL. It's quite annoying that the same DVD can't contain a tiny calibration section for PAL. It doesn't have to be as extensive as the NTSC one, but a minimal section (a chapter containing contrast, brightness, color, resolution meter, minimal aspect ratios, moving S&W plate, color adjustment and Y/C delay).

I hope they don't produce separate disks, as there's no way most people would buy 2 sets of expensive DVDs, but they WOULD buy a dual function disk.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quote:
I have used VE and ColorFacts to calibrate my plasma and VE worked fine for setting brightness, but contrast was a problem. The contrast setting adjustment, using a bending vertical bar technique, doesn’t work with plasmas.
I have AVIA and although I'm by far no expert they did have calibration for Plasmas for contrast, (2 fast moving gray bars over probably the same pattern that VE has)

Interesting though they mentioned that the bending bars were for indicating whether your power supply could not handle the output and blooming was what you watch (unless the bending occurs first). This is obviously for CRT's.

What I have not figured out is how to handle the CATS mode of the Panny I have. It auto adjusts the contrast. I can turn it off, but I like the idea of it adjusting. when the room is pitch black. (That screen'll burn your retinas out :) ). I adjusted it with CATS off, but since it does it's own thing, it's hard to tell if I have it nailed for the lighting I do 90% of my viewing. (comfortably lit but not bright or dim)

I guess I can always manually adjust it but it's a feature and I figured I would play with it. Anybody else do a calibration on one of the new pannys with CATS? BTW, I did find a discrete IR code that brings up a panel for CATS adjustments that cannot be access from any menu, but I'm Leary to play with it until I know I can't do any harm.

Back to the topic......I was really happy with the calibration I did with Avia and it made the panny really come alive.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And speaking of discrete codes. Does anyone have the codes for directly selecting the inputs.

I am trying to build the macros in the universal remote control but It's a pain when you have to cycle through the inputs.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I have to concur from using Avia. It helps, but it's not optimized for the task of calibrating a plasma. The mythic Digital Video Essentials may someday be quite useful for this task, but vaporware would be a kind, kind term for that product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.