AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to either purchase the AVIA or Video Essentials DVD to tweak my home theatre. I have used the Video Essentials DVD and impressed. However, I can not rent it anywhere. Which leads me no choice but to purchase one of the two DVDs and by the looks of it the AVIA DVD is cheaper. But would I be settling for something less with the AVIA?

Also, is there a new version of Avia due out shortly, and if so, should I wait for it?

Cheers!

·
Registered
518 Posts
VE is working on a new release and stopped shipping the old one. It's not available unless you find it in stock at a retailer somewhere. The new release will have some upgrades, but apparently will not include the montage.

AVIA has better explanations for each of its test patterns than VE, so is better for newbies (like me). They are working on a new version, but the current one is still shipping.

Check out both web sites for details.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doug.

I'm moving into a new house next week and all the equipment is ready for delivery!! :D I was just at Amazon and was about to buy Avia but wanted to see what the experts think. Like you, I'm a newb and would like to calibrate with the easiest solution, and since you say that the explanations in Avia are good, that's something that interests me.

Thanks for the reply!

Todd

·
Premium Member
11,839 Posts
Go with Avia.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've seen another calibration dvd called "sound & vision Home Theater tune-up/set-up" dvd by Ovation/Joe Kane Productions....

Anyone have feedback or reviews on this one?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
VE hasn't been available for a long, long time.

Avia is good, and available, and useful.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The Sound & Vision disc is essentially a "lite" version of Avia. It has the basic tests you need to adjust your TV and sound system, but not the more advanced patterns and sound tests for the enthusiast. Avia is well worth the extra cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.