AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

avia out to screw you!

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Scott Gammans 
#1 ·
I had a chance to speak with a top avia person. The upcoming avia pro is going to be very expensive. Why?

Its not to cover development costs as you would think.

I was told point blank its because 'projector people spend so much money, they will spend hundreds of dollars on our disks' Muhahahaha!

Alright, they didn't say Muhahahaha!, but it was really disturbing

#3 ·
I never planned on buying it. Maybe I will borrow or rent it.

i thought, I would get more outrage than this.

they told me they are charging this amount ONLY because they perceive projector people as big spenders. Developmental costs/manufacturing costs were minimal.

#7 ·
This thread should go... If not, at least it should have a lot of people defending Ovation. So I'll start.

First of all, Avia is out now and works for many people and many purposes. It is a bargain and well worth it.

Second of all, I know nothing about Avia Pro, but if it is a premium product, it deserves a premium price. The price of software is not set by development costs; it is set by what the market will bear.

Third of all, no guns are going to be held to anyone's heads to force them to buy this new disc.

Mark

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ps24eva
My point exactly,

Its BECAUSE of that willing attitude, that you're being screwed..lol
Huh?

I never understand complaints like this. The market will take care of itself.

Either it will be worth it to people and they will buy it or they won't. You aren't entitled to a bargain.

-Dylan

#9 ·
If you don't like the cost of AVIA pro don't buy it. The standard AVIA has more than enough on it for the great majority of us, and is reasonably priced.

Dr. Guy Kuo of Ovation Software, the maker of Avia, has been an invaluable asset to this forum. He's willingly shared -- free of charge -- a great deal of his expertise regarding both digital and CRT projectors.

In fact, I cannot think of any posts more valuable than his "Holy Focus" thread in the CRT section, and his posts regarding LT150 mods with blacking out the color wheel and correcting the color temp with filters.

If you don't want AVIA pro don't buy.

#10 ·
I agree. If there are enough people with more money than brains who just have to have the latest Avia Pro, then let them waste their money. I find the current Avia disk to be just what I need. I'm glad to let the "market" determine what the appropriate price is for the 'Pro' version. It'll eventually come down to a reasonable price anyway.

#14 ·
Nobody would make any product at all to make a measely little profit. People that invest the time and money into making something as specialized as this absolutely know what kind of reaction people will have to the quality vs. price of their product. They realize that if they price too high a piece of crapola, they are going to lose a bundle; so I wouldn't bet on them realeasing something in which the price highly outwieghs it's usefulness... though everyone makes mistakes. Just look at what microsoft did with the XBOX, selling a $420 piece of hardware for $200 seems like a stupid thing to do, but if they didn't would any1 buy one???

#15 ·
Fundamentally, this is a simple problem hiding inside a complex issue. People get outraged when some one charges "too much". I defy anyone to come up with a definition of "too much" that any 2 people can agree on. The free market allows one to a) pay the price or b) not. If few pick option a), the price drops. Of course some times its due to a bankruptcy sale.

The beauty of the the free market is that prices will float to "correct" level based on demand. Any one who prices high because "they're stupid" will be rudely awakened by the cold slap of market reality. Competition is a wonderous thing. So, instead of trying to incite a price riot or bash the original poster, lets just let the market take it course.

#16 ·
Quote:
Do you really think cars need to cost what they do? ***** about their prices.
As someone who does product development for a living, I have learned to appreciate that cars are probably the most incredible deal available to the consumer. It's incomprehensible to me that such devices can be designed, manufactured, and sold for what they are, and with the government mandating heavy-handed standards of safety, economy, and environmental impact. If I knew nothing about them, and someone gave me the requirements, I would probably estimate between $100,000 and $200,000 per car. And that would be for a basic automobile that wouldn't be nearly as refined as any currently available. If any industry demonstrates the incredible power of capitalism, the auto industry would be it.

Dave

#17 ·
As many problems as I have with capitalism and "free market", there's a simple end to this argument. Avia Pro is made for professionals, i.e. ISF calibrators and the like, who charge a couple hundred dollars for their services. Ovation's not going to stop selling the original Avia. I agree with many people on this forum and the Home Theater Forum who will swear that Guy Kuo has offered his meticulously detailed and exact help to individuals and everybody free of charge on many an occasion.

The fact that Avia Pro seems to be marketed towards people with projectors? This is good news, not a marketing ploy. It means that projectors are now worthy of an application specific to their quirks. I for one will not be buying Avia Pro, because I'm an end consumer, not a professional. At least I know I have a choice.

Quote:
Next time, ps24eva, don't go trolling just to piss people off. It's people like you that drive people like Guy off of these boards.

EDIT: Straight from Ovation Software:
Quote:
Avia Pro will be a series of five DVDs, and as opposed to being the friendly tutorial, these DVDs will be geared towards the professionals who need access to test pattern after test pattern.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ps24eva
I never planned on buying it. Maybe I will borrow or rent it.

they told me they are charging this amount ONLY because they perceive projector people as big spenders. Developmental costs/manufacturing costs were minimal.
And to add to JBlacklow's "no flaming" post ...

We would also appreciate if you didn't slander innocent dealers.

I have called my contact at ProjectorPeople.com and they said they didn't know anything about being overcharged for an Avia disk ... or even buying Avia disks in general.

He went on to say that ProjectorPeople does not appreciate being refered to as "big spenders" by a post in a forum which they are advertised on (see orange advertisement above).

Anyhow ... my 2 cents ... don't buy it. I won't.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ericbres
And to add to JBlacklow's "no flaming" post ...

We would also appreciate if you didn't slander innocent dealers.

I have called my contact at ProjectorPeople.com and they said they didn't know anything about being overcharged for an Avia disk ... or even buying Avia disks in general.

He went on to say that ProjectorPeople does not appreciate being refered to as "big spenders" by a post in a forum which they are advertised on (see orange advertisement above).
I think he ment us, not the United States, us as in the members of this forum. Us as in the people that buy projectors.

Not to be confused with ProjectorPeople.

But if he thinks it is too much... then maybe he should not buy it. I'm sure I'll be happy that my system is calibrated with it, by an ISF pro and he will be looking at green eggs and ham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.