Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm going to be demo'ing a business projector at a local 'business presentation' type establishment. Would bringing the Avia disc along with me and trying to do a quick calibration beforehand be of any benefit? I have never see/used Avia but would like my demo to be a reasonably fair evaluation of the projector. So do I buy and bring Avia with me or not, and if so what kind of calibrations is it helpful for? Thanks!

Mark Hayenga

·
Banned
770 Posts
Mark a resounding yes to that question. I simple quick Contrast, sharpness, brightness, and blue calibration will work wonders in finding out about the machine. After doing a quick calibration, have a movie you like on hand as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi AJ,

Thank you for the reply. My dealer should have Sharp PG-M20XA's in by the end of the week (that's the projector I'll be looking at). How easy is it for a newbie to use Avia to calibrate a display device? I am technically competent (electrical engineer) but am very new to high quality video displays and their calibration, and have never used Avia.

Mark Hayenga

·
Banned
770 Posts
Very easy. Do not try and figure everything out there at the AV shop. Listen and understand the patterns at home first. Otherwise, you'll be there for hours.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I second the recommendation to use AVIA and learn it at home first. Also remember to bring some movies that your are really used to watch in a good display be it pc monitor or whatever. On thing to understand is that AVIA is not the Bible (for the religious incline) but a nice starting point or reference if you like.

Regards

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rfuji
Where can you get an AVIA disk and how much does it cost?
Here is the web site: http://www.ovationsw.com/

The disk usually runs about $50 though you might find a used one cheaper on Ebay or such.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
dvdpricesearch.com says the cheapest place you can get it currently is http://www.digitaleyes.net/ for $34.97 incl shipping. I'd say that this is one of the best investments you can make, and the disc is easily worth twice that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.