AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i've searched around and i've found threads that say to use avia over receiver tones because a calibration using avia tones includes your source and the tones are being decoded/processed by the receiver the same way a dvd will be when watching a movie. that makes perfect sense to me and i pretty much assumed it, even before i'd read/confirmed it.

i've also read multiple threads that say to use audessey over receiver test tones and an spl meter, because audessey takes a lot more things into account, and eliminates the inaccuracies found in cheap spl meters. again, that makes sense.

BUT, what about audessey versus manual calibration with avia? especially when you have an older version of audessey, like my onkyo 603 does, that uses the receivers pink noise test tones - not frequency sweeps - to do it's calibrations? if you use avia, you eliminate the negatives of the receiver generated tones, but you lose out on audesseys complex calculations, and you include the inaccuracies of the meter. on the other hand, if you use audessey, you negate the inaccuracies of the meter, but you lose the "full path calibration" aspect and (in my case) you're using the lousy receiver tones. so, which would you rely on if you were me?

· Registered
17,001 Posts
Distance settings and speaker levels that are achieved with either method are probably going to be reasonably comparable. The sub level may differ a bit, but it wouldn't be too different and the sub is often adjusted a few dB here or there by ear, in the end, anyway. The sub distance (which can often not be the actual physical distance when set by Audyssey) is something that Audyssey is going to probably going to do better. As well as its phase.

What a calibration with AVIA can't do at all, though, is EQ your setup (assuming your version of Audyssey does feature an EQ). With a digital connection like HDMI the "full path calibration" thing is probably over-rated.

(I think that Audyssey usually does use simple tones to calibrate the distances and levels, initially, no?)

· Registered
7,841 Posts
I used Audyssey and then ran TruRta to check.Every speaker measured the same.

The sound is fantastic.No more TruRta. Just movie watching and no more worries. I run a Denon 3808ci as a processor with out board amps.

Good luck Kg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.