AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HLN617W is getting delivered next week, and I can't wait to get my hands on it to see what it can do...Couple of quick questions though:

1. Has anyone used both Avia and the new DVE, and which would they recommend? Is one better suited to SM tweaks than the other?

2. I don't currently have a way to feed DVD to the set via DVI...I plan on eventually building an HTPC, but in the short-term, am I losing a lot of the benefits of Avia/DVE without a way to send the picture to the set through a purely digital path?

Thanks....Jack

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The new DVE is specifically designed for newer-breed sets, and has tests specifically for DLP-based displays. In that regard it is probably a better choice for you.

Avia tends to get higher marks for ease of use, but has limited wide screen support and no obvious support for tweaking non-CRT-based displays, at least from what I've seen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...What about my lackof a DVI DVD player? Does that significantly diminish how useful DVE will be?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I think you just won't be able to calibrate your DVI input, but if you don't have any DVI-capable devices that shouldn't be a current problem. However, you can calibrate your component and S-Video (and even composite) inputs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again...Since I'm planning to build an HTPC anyway, maybe I'll pick up a video card with a DVI out - I've got a TS160 on the way, so I definitely want to be able to calibrate the DVI.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
If you're using a HTPC to feed your fixed pixel display via DVI,

couldn't you just create your own test patterns?

Seems to me, a PC passing an image to a digital display

via DVI should guarantee a 1:1 pixel mapping, assuming

the DVI input of the set accepts a signal that matches

the sets native resolution.

Of course without having experience with AVIA or VE

you might not know what kind of patterns you need to

set the various settings.

If VE would offer a collection of test patterns on a ROM

that were bitmaps of the various patterns I'd certainly be

willing to pay 'em their $20 for that. They could even offer

separate 1280x720 and 1920x1080 version of the disc if

they wanted (although I'm sure it would be much easier for

them to just put them all on one disc). I don't need any of

that video content, and I certainly don't want something that

was shoehorned into a NTSC standard. Isn't the whole point

of HDTV to get far far away from that dinosaur of a standard?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zvogt
If you're using a HTPC to feed your fixed pixel display via DVI,

couldn't you just create your own test patterns?.
In theory yes, but it would take you a long time to develop all those patterns. That's what you're paying Joe Kane for.

Quote:
If VE would offer a collection of test patterns on a ROM

that were bitmaps of the various patterns I'd certainly be

willing to pay 'em their $20 for that. [/b]
We can hope that DVE will eventually be released in a WM9 format, to be used either on an HTPC or a WM9 dvd player.

·
Registered
282 Posts
And if so, how is it from the VGA connector from a laptop? I have a 1.3 Ghz Centrino (about equal to a 2 Ghz P4).

My superior computer has dual DVI (Parhelia), but I don't want to lug the thing to another room, especially when I already have it hooked up to two excellent monitors both set for 1600 x 1200 (I like my computer screen real estate!!!). Yes, the Parhelia sucks as a game card, but I don't do a lot of gaming due to time, so that's not an issue...but I'm curious why so many people really seem to do the HTPC thing and if VGA is any good at least for it (on the sammy DLP in particular).

BTW, My DVI will be occupied, so that's another reason I'm more curious about the VGA PC output than the DVI (which a dvd player will be using shortly).

Ross

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Where does one buy DVE?

Sooke

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lonney2ns

Do a search on "digial video" in the DVD category. Since I am a new poster the rules won't let me post the URL.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Now I remember why i HATE amazon and never shop there. Their site organization sucks!

Still can't find DVE.

Thanks anyway lwg12.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe if I hit the spell check button it would have corrected my spelling. Try "Digital Video Essentials" The ISBN is 1-932198-47-4. I just received my copy this week from Amazon. Good luck.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Come on - Amazon is not that bad! Type "digital video essentials" in the Amazon search field and it will definitely work. I got my DVD from them quite quickly after its release. Or try this link to the Digital Video Essentials page on Amazon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.