AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of these is better for calibrating with X1? And what's with the $30 price difference? Do you get more/better with Avia?

I wasted money buying Discwasher Home theater setup (salesman pushed it on me.. i assumed they were all the same). It was definitely geared toward CRTs as alot the tests had nothing to do with dlps/lcds.

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
They are both produced by the same people. Sound & Vision is a starter disc. Avia has more comprehensive calibration patterns.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you can wait till the summer Avia pro is supposed to be coming out. It is supposed to deal with digital projectors better. For now the sound and vision is definetly a better value.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had the sound and vision DVD and it has maybe 6 different tests to go through to setup the video. Unfortunately mine did not come with the blue filter that is supposed to be included which is needed to do the color adjustments so I had to send it back.

It really is for beginners but it does supposedly include some test screens that aren't included with Avia, however it doesn't have any directions for what you are supposed to do with these extra screens... so for me they were kind of useless.

I would skip it and maybe wait for something better. To be Honest one of the DVD's that includes the THX home theater setup extra is probably almost as good as the Sound and Vision setup. For example Star Wars Episode 2 has this included on the DVD.

I also hear there is a new version of Video Essentials called Digital Video Essentials coming out soon as well that is supposed to be really good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went out and bought the AVIA dvd after receiving my X1 and to be honest, it helped very little. In fact, the colour calibrations with the filters seemed to make the picture way over-saturated. I suspect that the nature of the reflected light of digital (DLP?) projectors may not be totally compatible with these types of tests.

I ended up just going back to X1 defaults with brightness turned down a notch since my screen is only about 70" wide.

The audio calibrations actually were pretty usefull and ended making my 5.1 system sound noticeably richer.

I'd wait for the new products that are coming out which seem to promise better support for digital projectors. In the meantime, I think the X1 is setup pretty good out of the box.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'd say if a new Avia disc is due in the Summer just rent or buy Monsters Inc or any other fairly new release that has a THX optimizer on it. Those have the basics. If you have a Netflix account you can rent Video Essentials. It's old but still can be useful and has a lot of good video clips at the end.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
what B&M stores carry the Sound and Vision setup disc? (brick and mortar stores, not online stores)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I love my Avia. Just make sure to set all to defaults prior to using and keep the room in the same conditions as you'll be watching and you'll be very very pleased.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
If you can wait till the summer Avia pro is supposed to be coming out.
Could somebody confirm this? The Ovation Software site does not say more than "coming soon"...

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by slateef
what B&M stores carry the Sound and Vision setup disc? (brick and mortar stores, not online stores)
Best Buy carries it for about $18. It's usually in the "Special Interest" section near the IMAX movies and Girls Gone Wild videos.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Avia worked very well with calibrating my Z1. however, it does nothing for your other video sources. for example, the calibration settings that look great for the DVD player, look absolutely like crap when used on the Tivo. (gamma is very very different)

So it is great for movie watching, but you have to program the settings as a preset, then manually set up the video settings for your other video sources.

Luckily my 1HD has on the remote 4 or 5 color presets which can be accessed by a single push of a button. So when watching Tivo, push '2'. When watching DVD, push '1', and it looks great.

BTW: Were there any nice, video clips on Avia? I've never found them. I seem to remember something about video of an American flag blowing in the wind, and a few other shots. But since I bought the disk (from amazon) I've not been able to locate them.

-Jason W

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jw15851
BTW: Were there any nice, video clips on Avia? I've never found them. I seem to remember something about video of an American flag blowing in the wind, and a few other shots. But since I bought the disk (from amazon) I've not been able to locate them.
The waving flag and other clips you are thinking of are found on Video Essentials, not Avia.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.