Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

this board is all about Avia, and i'm wondering if Sound & Vision will suffice? They seem to do the same thing, and Sound & Vision is aobut $20 cheaper (i realize that after spending 2k-ish on a tv, its ridiculous to quibble over $20, but what can i say...)

also, i can go to the store and pick up a copy of S&V, but would have to order Avia over the net, as i can seem to find it anywhere.

final question, why would you buy both (Amazon has a bundle price for the two), is there any reason for that, or is it kind of a scam?

thanks,

-j

·
Registered
758 Posts
They are both produced by Ovation. Sound and Vision is a sub-set of the Avia disc, and in my opinion, overpriced at $20 relative to all the stuff you get with Avia. The only advantage that S&V has over Avia is that it has 6.1 audio test tones where Avia only has 5.1 test tones.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sound & Vision gives you the basic calibrations, but really no more. On the other hand, the menu system is much easier to use than on the Avia disc. So when I can, I use the S&V disc. If you're only going to buy one, though, I'd say go for Avia.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Avia Guide to Home Theater is available from Amazon for 25% off, or $37.46, including free shipping. That might help make your choice a little easier.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I read there's a new Avia due out this spring? Plus I thought I read that Video essential also has a new one due out. Might want to get the cheaper Sound & Vision and wait on the Avia or Video essential.

·
Registered
613 Posts
can someone give me a quick synopsis of what these disks do?

i have an RCA F38310, with a six speaker set up, progressive dvd, and direct tivo, plus the internal direct tv on the RCA for my HD

is this something i would benefit from?

thanks!

i've searched, but can't get a handle on an overview of these disks...

ed

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
While waiting on the new Video Essentials to be released I ordered Sound & Vision - it should arrive just a few days before my new set :) I borrowed a friends VE in the past and liked it. This will give me a taste of Avia's content, correct?

From the VE website (last updated on 11/26/02), it sounds like Jan '03 as a tentative release date for the new edition of Video Essentials.

I couldn't find any information on a new Avia release, although there is the mysterious "Avia Pro" listed on the Ovation site that simply links to a form to request more info. Waiting to hear back on that. Anyone know what is included?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.