AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was not able to find too much info about this Avic subwoofer, but I have heard of the company who sells it (holomaxx) and I have purchased from them before in the past without any problems. I believe that the subwoofer deserves some feedback, even if it is just from me. :)

Anyway, I decided to purchase under the pretense of being able to try it for 30 days without having to keep it if I didn't like it. I also bought a cable with it, which extended my warranty by another year for a total of 6 years -- nice. I've been using the subwoofer almost daily now, and it has really grown on me.

The description of the Graviton claims it to have smooth and precise sound. I have found this to be true. This subwoofer is excellent at producing non-directional bass, in other words, you cannot really tell where the subwoofer is located by listening for it. I like this a lot, because it makes it easier to work the subwoofer in with my speakers.

My living room is 14x20x11, and in this room the Graviton does not have any problems with maintaining a healthy sound output level. The amp is rated at 300W RMS / 450W peak, which seems like more than enough. The Graviton is not going to cause earthquakes like something from HSU, but for a 10" sealed unit it more than holds its own. Holomaxx claims a 21-150 Hz freq. response, which is in itself impressive. The Graviton is very precise, as advertised, and it is excellent with a variety of music. It is the first sub I was actually able to use for listening to rock music without having a booming bass drown out the rest of the instruments.

I would recommend the Graviton to anybody who wants a quality sub, but does not want a huge ugly tube in their living room. :D For its relatively small size and fair $500 pricetag, the Graviton is a good deal in my book. The warranty lasts me 5 years plus 1 year since I bought it with a subwoofer cable, and I have no regrets about my purchase.

Heres the Link: Onyx Graviton

Eric

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am considering the Onyx Graviton or an SVS 20-36 or HSU VTF-2. I am really interested in the Onyx since it's direct firing and closed with a great frequency response and sensitivity.

Can you (or anyone) who has this sub elaborate on what's missing when compared to the HSU or an SVS in terms or impact?

Is the Onyx sufficently engaging even though it might not rattle the house like the other two?

Thanks for any info,

Tim

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Hmm....

Interesting spec. on their site: Claims Max. SPL of 114dB at 21Hz. If that's true and the distortion at that level is under 10%, then this would be a pretty amazing little sub (14.25" cubed), especially for $499!! With those numbers it would seem to out class the VTf-2 and be comparable with most SVS subs.

It makes you wonder??? That kind of output is pretty amazing for a vented sub, much less a sealed design.

Avaholic

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
BTW: There is a 20% restocking fee for ALL non-defective returns!

OOPS, my bad, they seem to have a full refund on this particular product:eek:

Avaholic

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I still have my Onyx and I am loving it. :)

I would have to say that nothing is "missing" from the Onyx when compared against the HSU or SVS...the word I would use is "different". The Onyx smaller driver and sealed box provide better dynamics and articulation, at the cost of some subsonic performance.

On my AVIA disc, I can hear the Onyx until about 27Hz...below that, I can still feel low frequency vibration but I really cannot hear anything. My friend's HSU seems to have a bit more punch once we get below 30 Hz -- not that I can hear it better, but I do "feel" it more. I would chalk that up to the larger driver and ported box. For such a small driver and box, the Onyx subsonic performance is stunning.

For my personal tastes, I prefer the tightness, precision and smoothness the Onyx delivers. If you take the time to factor in the $499 price, I can say with the utmost certainty that you will not find better quality/performance for your money.

Eric

Quote:
Originally posted by tlamarca
I am considering the Onyx Graviton or an SVS 20-36 or HSU VTF-2. I am really interested in the Onyx since it's direct firing and closed with a great frequency response and sensitivity.

Can you (or anyone) who has this sub elaborate on what's missing when compared to the HSU or an SVS in terms or impact?

Is the Onyx sufficently engaging even though it might not rattle the house like the other two?

Thanks for any info,

Tim

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As amazing as it seems, my Onyx is still producing bass at 21 Hz according to my Avia disc. I have to crank the sub level up pretty high, but it certainly has the ability to produce such low frequency sound. I don't know about 114 dB, but whatever it is, is enough for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by avaholic
Hmm....

Interesting spec. on their site: Claims Max. SPL of 114dB at 21Hz. If that's true and the distortion at that level is under 10%, then this would be a pretty amazing little sub (14.25" cubed), especially for $499!! With those numbers it would seem to out class the VTf-2 and be comparable with most SVS subs.

It makes you wonder??? That kind of output is pretty amazing for a vented sub, much less a sealed design.

Avaholic

·
Registered
102 Posts
actually i think the hsu vtf-2 is a 10"er no? they should have the same size drivers... dont mean anything by this other than just having the facts straight if anything else relevant comes out of this

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes. The HSU VTF-2 for $499 is 10" and hits 25hz. The HSU VTF-3 for $849 is 12" and hits 18hz. The SVS 25-31pci for $549 is 12" and hits 25hz and the SVS 20-36pci for $599 is 12" and hits 20hz. The Avic Onyx Graviton for $499 is 10" and hits 21hz.

So, at the end of a lengthy and heated SVS vs. HSU debate on eCoustics.com someone mentioned the Onyx which I sought out here. I think you can't go wrong with any of them really. I guess the HSU and SVS both pack a lot of punch, with the SVS being a little more of a home theater sub and the HSU being a little more of a music sub but both going low and loud. The Onyx I guess doesn't hit as hard but the people who have reviewed it (thanks Eric) seem to indicate that it's super clean, tight and smooth. Plus at $499 it's cheaper than everything than the VTF-2 which I think is outclassed by either SVS and certainly it's bigger brother the VTF-3. SVS makes a ton of other subwoffers but I've kept my search narrowed to their powered cylinder series since it seems to offer the best value if you're ok with the size.

So, anyway, personally I'm pretty compelled to check out the Onyx since I might want to feel the music every now and then but 9 times out of 10 i want to hear it as best i can.

I'm looking to match the sub with Axiom or Ascend bookshelf speakers and I'm guessing the high 80-150hz ability of a 10" sealed woofer as offered in the Onyx will fill out the missing lows from the bookshelves better for a more seamless experience.

My local shop recommenced direct firing for that purpose and also noted that a 12" woofer will sound better if it isn't being asked to play as wide a range of frequency as you might get out of a 10" cleanly.

The only drawback to the Onyx as I can see is that there is so little info available about it or the company that sells it whereas people often rave about both SVS and HSU. Perhaps this thread will be a start for solving that problem...

If you can't tell, I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.