AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Below are Avical's user-menu starter settings for the newly released Samsung HL-Txx87/89 series DLP RPTVs. Please note that these settings are merely *starter* settings from which to perform a more precise user-level calibration via the aid of a setup disc such as DVE. These are also not intended as a substitute for a much more involved professional calibration which would address picture parameters not accessible within the user-menu.

Mode - Movie

Contrast - 70

Brightness - 45

Sharpness - 0

Color - 45

Tint - G50/R50

Color Tone - Warm2

Detailed Settings

*Black Adjust - Off

*Dynamic Contrast - Off

*Gamma - 0

*White Balance - 0

*My Color Control - 15/15/15

*Edge Enhancement - Off

*xvYCC - Off

Size - Just Scan

Digital NR - Off

Active Color - Off

DNIe - Off

Color Gamut - sRGB

Happy Pictures!

Eliab

·
Registered
11 Posts
Eliab,

Thanks for posting this, I have been eagerly waiting for this. 2 questions...

1) On my 6187S, it has a lot of green push in movie mode. Is there something I could do to make this better?

2) Are you accepting appointments for calibration of these sets? I live in NJ.

Thanks

·
Registered
605 Posts
vdubgrub,

To answer your questions...

1. The green that you are seeing is a combination of the color decoder and the color gamut. Unfortunately, it will take a professional calibration in order to properly adjust the color decoder parameters and measure/correct the color gamut.

2. Yes, we are currently accepting appointment on all of these displays. Please fill out our contact form at www.avical.com for more details.

joevfx,

sRGB was chosen over the wide mode as it measured closer to the standard than the other modes; however, it is important to note that the preset color gamuts are pretty far off from the desired (standard) color gamut.

Good Pictures!

Dave

·
Registered
252 Posts
Eliab,

Thanks for posting the long awaited starter settings. I have been trying to keep an open mind about the different picture modes and settings as I familiarize myself with the HDTV. Giving these settings a try yesterday, I found that I personally do not care for the picture with them on my HL-T5689S, but it's possible I'm doing something wrong (I will try again this weekend to make sure I didn't screw something up). Another weird side effect for me with your settings was that it was actually the first time I noticed a little bit of RBE...so I'm not sure what's up with that. I am using the DishNetwork VIP622 DVR with the HDMI output connected directly to the HDTV.

Thank you for your and David's contributions to the HL-Txx87/89 thread, as they helped me a great deal during my pre-purchase research. I have been thinking about having you guys calibrate my unit if you're going to be in my area later this year.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeblaze /forum/post/0

Eliab,

Thanks for posting the long awaited starter settings. I have been trying to keep an open mind about the different picture modes and settings as I familiarize myself with the HDTV. Giving these settings a try yesterday, I found that I personally do not care for the picture with them on my HL-T5689S, but it's possible I'm doing something wrong (I will try again this weekend to make sure I didn't screw something up). Another weird side effect for me with your settings was that it was actually the first time I noticed a little bit of RBE...so I'm not sure what's up with that. I am using the DishNetwork VIP622 DVR with the HDMI output connected directly to the HDTV.

Thank you for your and David's contributions to the HL-Txx87/89 thread, as they helped me a great deal during my pre-purchase research. I have been thinking about having you guys calibrate my unit if you're going to be in my area later this year.

These start settings are a baseline to calibrate your TV further with either DVE or AVIA. You may want to try that. Im going to be doing that tonight.

·
Registered
605 Posts
blazeblaze,

As vdubgrub stated, these settings are meant to get you closer to an accurate image based on general data. It is the baseline we recommend for then adjusting further.

As for the calibration of your display... I will performing a tour in your area mid-July, if you are interested please feel free to visit our website and fill out our contact form ( www.avical.com ).

Good Pictures!

Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Abrams /forum/post/0

vdubgrub,1. The green that you are seeing is a combination of the color decoder and the color gamut. Unfortunately, it will take a professional calibration in order to properly adjust the color decoder parameters and measure/correct the color gamut.

Dave

Dave, thanks for this thread, and thanks for the info about adjusting the settings for this set.

My HTL6189s has not arrived yet, but I have been looking at a display model at my local Best Buy and I immediately noticed the green push. I am worried about your statement regarding the only fix for it. Could this be an error with the TV itself? Would Samsung take any responsibility for it?

I will wait to mess around with the settings, as I had to do the same thing with my 2002 Mitsubishi 65" CRT, but is a professional calibration truly the ONLY way to get rid of the green?

Yikes!

- Jake

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does the "Game mode" affect the picture quality in any way?

I use this mode along with the color gamut set to "Wide".My other settings appear to be close to the starter settings.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Put this link in the TECH LINKS... where I am collecting some HL-T information, too.

·
Registered
784 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliab /forum/post/0

Hello all,

Below are Avical's user-menu starter settings for the newly released Samsung HL-Txx87/89 series DLP RPTVs. Please note that these settings are merely *starter* settings from which to perform a more precise user-level calibration via the aid of a setup disc such as DVE. These are also not intended as a substitute for a much more involved professional calibration which would address picture parameters not accessible within the user-menu.

Mode - Movie

Contrast - 70

Brightness - 45

Sharpness - 0

Color - 45

Tint - G50/R50

Color Tone - Warm2

Detailed Settings

*Black Adjust - Off

*Dynamic Contrast - Off

*Gamma - 0

*White Balance - 0

*Edge Enhancement - Off

*xvYCC - Off

Size - Just Scan

Digital NR - Off

Active Color - Off

DNIe - Off

Color Gamut - sRGB

Happy Pictures!

Eliab

I just went into the movie mode to add these starter settings and that is what they already were except for the contrast, it was at 90. Samsung has done a pretty good job here. This TV has more adjustments than I have ever seen. Things like black level,(4 settings), white level, my color (allows adjusting the 3 colors separately, pink, green and blue I think) This is just a few of the settings. I got this thing looking better than any TV I ever owned and the colors look very real.

I have a Denon DVD 1930CI I bought almost a year ago. It is about middle of the line for a high quality DVD-A and Super Audio CD. Well, now that I have an excellent TV to hook up, I see the Denon does upconversion (several settings up to 1080P) of all my DVDs. I feel like I don't need BlueRay or HDDVD because all my regular DVDs look HD to me and I have been on a DVD Movie fest all weekend with my new collection.

One note on Lipsync: depending on what sound I have hooked up to the TV or to an A/V receiver. It seems as though the TV has a built in audio delay, but if I go directly to my A/V receiver the sound is a split second early. Makes me think a lot of processing is going on befor the DLP chip gets the signal.

OK enough for now.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
will these settings apply to the hlt6756. i usually like using the presets for viewing (standad for majority of tv, dynamic when the room is bright, movie for movies obviously, and game mode for vid games like 360)

the colors dont seem to be as spot on though as the hls6767 i had previously which i didnt feel needed calibration.

im thinking aout pro cal though for the hl6756. are the avical guys around, eliab & the other guy? have they calibrated some hlt's by now im sure. are the results as good as the hls's?

where can i get in contact with eliab to make an appt.?

im just worried i wont be able to use the presets. or will they be able to adjust each of the presets to optimum settings using he source material i would view on those settings. so i would then hve ideal tweaked settings for each preset mode, that would be good.

then would just have to make sure to not reset them to default by accident. though im sure they write them down for you.

might get my hlt 6187 also but may not need it for that or can just use these starter settings or opy from he hlt6756.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
forgot to mention tha even i noticed the green push on the hlt's i have especially the hlt 6756. the hls6767 did not have this & was in general better out the box color wise0& i again just used the preset modes.

shame now for the newer hlt that you would think are better to basically require a pro cal to fix it as eliab stated in an earlier post.

in re reading i see the green push i noticed is common on these models so hat at least puts me t ease tha what i was noticing is in fact the case & on motly all hlt's i guess.

why is this? should i have maybe kept my hl6767. i did return my hls6767 for more then what i paid for the hlt6756 so i guess i can do a pro cal, its just a shame tha they would go backwards with a new model as far s out of box colors.

i guess some things are better on the hlt over the hls67 while some things (like the oob colors/settings) are not as good. ive seen samsung do this before where their newer model is often not as good as the previous model in some ways. mot notably in my experience was the fact that the smaller (like 26") LNR lcds of 2 years ago had a better clearer picture using coax or svid (in kitchen with just coax or std def cable box with svid being best connction) then last years LNS lcds & possibly even this years LNR lcds (thoug i have a 23" lnr & its almot as good as the lnr from 2 years prior plus the lnt hs the built in tuners that im maing use of0in tha location)

anyway i hope i didnt make a mistake changing my hls6767 to a hlt 6756. im sure with pro cal my hlt6756 will look better then my non calibrated hls6767 did, its just pro cal costs money & i heard its not cheap. shame the oob colors/settings of he hlt dont seem to be as good as the hls's so i could make do for longer, but i guess this will motivate me to get he pro cal after which im hoping to be as amazed & happy as others seem to be after pro cal.

just sucks cus if i wanted to deal with off colors & push & accepting tha po cal as going to be a neccesity i could have gotten jvc 70" as these problems were the case on he jvc & tha as the eason to get a samy hls over a jvc rp lcos.

in fact the picture on my hlt6756 looks similiar to a jvc with the slight off colors & the slightly distorting brightness, is the best ay i can describe it. its like the whites are too bright in places and just makes things blurrym i dunno.

actually tough he 70" jvc i saw in costco, the colors were eally off & there was much worse of a green red & blue push.

i just hope i can get the pro cal sometime soon & for a decent price but i have a bad feeling they were already in the philly area earlier this summer as i aw metioned jersey in july but i think they re in NY so not far.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Check TECH LINKS in the calibration section for Dummies guide to Service Menu tweaks and calibration.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Looks like this thread hasnt had activity in a while.. but I have some questions or can someone point me to info that i havent found if not... I'm browsing through the tech thread, but there is just so much i'm feeling a bit overwhelmed

I have the HL-T6187S LED.. I like the set overall, but find the picture to not be quite dead on.. at least compared to the Sony 60A3000 (more pop here i think).. I managed to tweak my settings based on the Avical starter settings and my DVE calibration disk, with only a blue filter.. but I still feel there is something "off" making it loose the pop it (maybe) should have. I'm still trying to decide whether to take the set back and go for the Sony but I really dont want to if all this is is a calibration issue. Unfortunately I dont have the cash flow to do a pro calibration, so I was hoping to do this all myself (in more detail).

When I run the DVE calibration, I'm using my HDDVD player and an HDMI cable. My comcast box is on another cable. If i run this calibration on the player, wont those settings be different than what my cable box might show? I really dont see how else to calibrate unless there was a DVR'd calibration setup on the Cable box.

Also.. I didnt turn off CCA or any other settings in the Service menu prior to calibrating. Do I need to do this? I'm also wondering if changing IRIS values and gamma values in the service menu may help (My stand sits a little high at 25.75, so we sit slightly below center, causing shadowing/haziness on the top part of the screen, quite noticeable, after you realize its there-secondary issue. I'm guessing I may want to go for a shorter stand of about 21-22" to help things, but i dont think this will fix all the issues).

Do I need more than a blue filter to do this.. what is the best calibration disc to use.. either DVD or HDDVD?

So in summary, will these calibration settings give this set the edge that I think it could have.. to look as good as the Sony? (i've got 17 days to decide whether to switch)

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
459 Posts
cydog, I have noticed with my 89 you have to "flip" the correct "switch" to un-grey the options.

Like, unless you have DNIe turn "On" the Detailed Settings option is greyed out. So my suggestion is to try experimenting to get that option to turn back on.

BTW you do realize his settings are starter for then using the Avia calibration (or other calibration) disc, right. These are not setting you should leave and not calibrate after. Cause personally I think these look like crap just left alone :)

I just got my calibration disc back from my neighbor and plan to use it tonight with starter settings using these...

But up until now, personally I found that (with an HDMI input) using:

Mode - Standard

Contrast - 75

Brightness - 50

Sharpness - 0

Color - 65

Tint - G50/R50

Color Tone - Cool2

Detailed Settings

*Black Adjust - Off

*Dynamic Contrast - Off

*Gamma - 0

*White Balance - 0

*Edge Enhancement - Off

*xvYCC - Off

Size - Just Scan

Digital NR - Off

Active Color - Off

DNIe - Off

Color Gamut - Normal

Gives a nice "pop" to the pic, right out of the box.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoAce10 /forum/post/12339357

cydog, I have noticed with my 89 you have to "flip" the correct "switch" to un-grey the options.

Like, unless you have DNIe turn "On" the Detailed Settings option is greyed out. So my suggestion is to try experimenting to get that option to turn back on.

BTW you do realize his settings are starter for then using the Avia calibration (or other calibration) disc, right. These are not setting you should leave and not calibrate after. Cause personally I think these look like crap just left alone :)

I just got my calibration disc back from my neighbor and plan to use it tonight with starter settings using these...

But up until now, personally I found that (with an HDMI input) using:

Mode - Standard

Contrast - 75

Brightness - 50

Sharpness - 0

Color - 65

Tint - G50/R50

Color Tone - Cool2

Detailed Settings

*Black Adjust - Off

*Dynamic Contrast - Off

*Gamma - 0

*White Balance - 0

*Edge Enhancement - Off

*xvYCC - Off

Size - Just Scan

Digital NR - Off

Active Color - Off

DNIe - Off

Color Gamut - Normal

Gives a nice "pop" to the pic, right out of the box.

I always hated standard. Great detail but too much "noise" on dark scenes. I tried your settings, I LOVE it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts