AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.avid.com/products/xpresspro/index.asp

Anyone have this software? Is it as easy to use, but more powerfull than Adobe PRemier Elements?

I am going to need an HD editing program that is easy to use, quick to figure out, and has a full range of editing tools and effects. But I don't notice a trial download for this program...Anyone have it that can care to comment?

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV5655 /forum/post/12928869

http://www.avid.com/products/xpresspro/index.asp

Anyone have this software? Is it as easy to use, but more powerfull than Adobe PRemier Elements?

I am going to need an HD editing program that is easy to use, quick to figure out, and has a full range of editing tools and effects. But I don't notice a trial download for this program...Anyone have it that can care to comment?

What format of HD are you going to be editing... Xpress does not support AVCHD/H.264. but neither does Premier.

·
Registered
38 Posts
avid in general is a very reliable brand. I own Avid Liquid 7 Pro, and have used Mojo, Xpress once or twice, Adrenaline and another one i can't remember right off hand. i've had good experiences with each version.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In this case it would be AVCHD. I didn't see any mention of codecs, but they did mention HD support.....so what kind of HD does it support for $500's?

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV5655 /forum/post/12931990

In this case it would be AVCHD. I didn't see any mention of codecs, but they did mention HD support.....so what kind of HD does it support for $500's?

It's the MPEG codec only. no AVCHD and I think they don't have plans for AVCHD in the immediate future(same for Adobe)

For AVCHD your best program is going to be Pinnance Studio 11.1.1, and Pinnacle is owned by Avid, so you are getting the Xpress guts with a nice user interface all for $129.

The other option is Sony Vegas Pro for $500. Personally I was disappointed in this. Another turnoff of Vegas is that it's only a 75MB program.. how robust could it really be? when the pinnacle is like 7GB's worth of extras and transitions & effects.

·
Registered
319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kring /forum/post/12932508

It's the MPEG codec only. no AVCHD and I think they don't have plans for AVCHD in the immediate future(same for Adobe)

For AVCHD your best program is going to be Pinnance Studio 11.1.1, and Pinnacle is owned by Avid, so you are getting the Xpress guts with a nice user interface all for $129.

The other option is Sony Vegas Pro for $500. Personally I was disappointed in this. Another turnoff of Vegas is that it's only a 75MB program.. how robust could it really be? when the pinnacle is like 7GB's worth of extras and transitions & effects.

Why not use Apple Final Cut Express?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, I could have sworn it said it suported Windows Vista.. but yep, I'm on a PC. I'll take a look at PS 11

-edit Damn, no trial version. But it looks rather easy to figure out.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pinnacle is definately an easy software to use, and their owners, Avid, is fairly easy. you may need to do a little review before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
NV:

You might search for "AVID Free." It's a downscaled version of the regular AVID Express, and a good way to learn the system.

The ExpressPro software goes up through HDV video, and handles it very well. You just need a fairly powerful computer (and the AVID site will give you the "approved" list of cmputers, video cards, etc), with a minimum of 2gigs of RAM.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captslomo /forum/post/12934415

NV:

You might search for "AVID Free." It's a downscaled version of the regular AVID Express, and a good way to learn the system.

Definately a good idea. It looks very much like express and allows you to get a feel for the software. Check into that!

·
Registered
559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kring /forum/post/12932508

Let me offer a different view--today I bought Pinnacle Studio 11 Ultimate and I must say that I am seriously disappointed. It's a huge kludge, seems to me. Lots of stuff you have to add on, go online and download, and each thing seems to have its own 16 or 20 digit "activation" code, and the interface itself is kind of slow and wonky, for example, I could only get maybe a dozen clips onscreen to draw from, and there were like 13 pages worth of clips to go through, and it wasn't reading stuff frm my HG10, though that could have been my fault, and the playback even in the small window when trying out dissolves and so on was so slow that it had to put a blue question mark up there, and the full screen draft of the clips you're showing appear to be in some way-reduced resolution, so you're not seeing a really good representation of what you're doing -- it goes on, but I'll stop there.

I know t's AVID and supposed to be great, and it may be if you're doing highly complicated video work, but the ULEAD 11 prduct, whle barer bones, seems faster and more efficient. Apropos the 75MB remark about Vegas, well that just means it's VERY well coded as opposed to sloppy and larded with junk (I don't use Vegas now, but I did a few years ago and it was admirably straight forward and quick, much better than the Pinnacle product of that time).

I also don't think you have to get the $500 sony product, though did read somewhere that the HD editing was only avail on the pro version. I can't believe that's ttrue, but it's certainly one of the stories you hear.

And, to the original question, I know about the cut down Avid or the Adobe product you mention.

Finally, if you have a Mac, both iMovie 6 and iMovie 8 are strong products, tendng to put the equivalents on Win boxs to shame.

JMHO

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Pinnacle Studio is Studio, not an Express guts. Avid just runs the company after consolidating it.

Hoppy, for you to get "blue ? mark" there must be some issues against your operating computer. To see slow progress to dissolves further adds to my belief that your computer is not up to minimum specs.

The part of the 13 pages of clips that you cannot work through also sound like your computer's ability to utilize the program is lacking severely.

I realize it's your opinion and experience but I am not encountering any of what you are mentioning. Perhaps you may want to review again what may have caused this to occur.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hoppy, your media issue, right click on the media area and there are three options, Details, Icons, Thumbnails. Ulead, Nero, Windows Movie Maker, etc... are all usually limited to 5-10 clips at a time, but this is very dependent on your resolution of your monitor. I get 18 clips per page in Studio on details & thumbnails and like 40 in icons mode. Then if I click to the next page there's another 18 thumbnails... to me that's plenty to view at a time... How many are you getting? And if you want more, click on the folder icon at the top and it opens your standard windows explorer were you can see all you clips... I really don't see the issue here with these options... ulead is not this good IMO.

On performance, it does sound like your system is seriously constrained.. how many gigs of memory and what is your CPU? As a rough guideline, if your system is more then two years old, it's probably not powerful enough. Mine runs fine on a Core2Due 2.66. and that's like a $200 processor that's around 2 years old. it's not that it requires an expensive system, it just needs the power of the newer systems. $700 systems you buy today will run it amazingly well.

I don't know why your getting playback issues, I am betting your system is not up to snuf, mine works fantastic. and the preview screen on Pinnacle is much smother and crisper then all the other applications. I though Vegas had the worst preview screen of all, and Ulead coming in 2nd worst. Pinnacle was #1 albeit small, and nero was #2 because it could be really large and had good playback.

The activation part, while I agree is the most steps I've ever seen in registering a product, it's still only a couple of minutes to do and then your done. Will you really care in a week from now?

Also, keep in mind that Pinnacle is a background processing application... while it seems like it's doing nothing, it's actually working VERY hard in the background building transitions, previews, overlays etc... That's the most amazing part of this software that I did not see from all the others... it lets you keep working while it does it's work in the background. Watch the timeline bar that's colored orange or green... and watch as a shaded similar color progresses through your video... that's the background processing, you won't get good playback until that processing has completed because it hasn't actually built the video yet. let that finish, then you will get fantastic playback... even if your system is a little slow. I'm thinking this is your issue now, you are trying to preview it too fast.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hoppy, can you post a comment back here if your issue on choppy video was due to you not waiting for the preview to finish building? I though we should get closure on this thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts