AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently using my VMC for OTA SD as well as DVD, Blu-ray/HD-DVD HD and soon to be OTA HD satellite.

My current display (plasma) is HD ready (not full HD) and I run my desktop at 1080i, while the VMC frontend runs at 720P. Generally, even with lower bitrates, SD/DVD look great at 720P, and at 1080i, HD material (to my eyes) looks very good.

I'm planning to upgrade my display to a 50" full HD plasma, and am worried about the SD quality at this res when output from VMC. My GPU is an ATI2600XT, which I think is a damn fine card. At 720P, the pic is very good, so I assume the AVIVO system is upscaling the output to fit the display. At 1080P though, how good will this card be at upscaling for this size screen? I also have the option of switching to an ATI3650, and wondered if this would be better than the 2600 at upscaling? I understand that 1:1 pixel mapping for HD output should be perfect on both cards at 1080P, but it's the upscaling of SD output for the big display that concerns me.

I've heard that the ATI4xxx series have excellent scaling support, and have been thinking about the 4650 (when it's available), but I don't want to buy one if I don't need to.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the silent 2600xt and play 1080p material on a 46 inch 1080p LCD with no problems and q6600 only at 33% VMC 64 bit so keep the card you will not get any better picture with the new card. 720p looks great and even sd is pretty good if you need to upscale lower res files like avi it is the processor that needs the grunt not the vid card as its done in ffdshow or the like and that takes lots of cpu to get it up to 1080p there is a guide on here about how to do it but i dont bother its not that bad.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 /forum/post/14280253

I've heard that the ATI4xxx series have excellent scaling support, and have been thinking about the 4650 (when it's available), but I don't want to buy one if I don't need to.

As far as I know, they've not changed the scaling routines from the 2400pro to the 4850.

·
Registered
129 Posts
not sure which scaling and such but I do believe that the 4xxx series do have a new improved uvd engine and I think it has improved scaling

1 - 4 of 4 Posts