AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those that own the AVM-20 or any other pre/pro or receiver that does multizone operations:

1) is there seperate volume control for the other zones or are they tied to the main zone volume?

2) I understand that you can listen to different sources in other rooms but can one room listen to a radio station, say 99.1 fm and another room also listen to the radio, say 103.5 fm?

3) what is the easiest way for remote control activity in the other zones? Do I need additional remote controls? What about IR to the main receiver? The additional zones will be in other areas of the house separate by sheet rock.

The receiver or pre/pro that I would like should have multizone capabilities for the following:

I need 3 zones: main, master bedroom and pool area

1) independent volume controls per zone.

2) audio and video per zone (at least 2 zones -- main and master)

3) be able to replicate/copy one zone to another etc.

4) IR for all the zones.

I really appreciate all you guys/gals help on this one. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cue03

1) independent volume controls per zone.

2) audio and video per zone (at least 2 zones -- main and master)

3) be able to replicate/copy one zone to another etc.

4) IR for all the zones.

[/b]
1) Yes, independent volume control for all zones. The AVM20 has 3 zones.

2) Yes, separate composite & s-video video outputs for all 3 zones on the AVM20.

3) If you mean being able to watch/listen to the same source as the Main on the alternate zone, then yes.

4) Yes, but you would need an IR extender. There's several options.

Note that most processors/receivers only route stereo analog inputs to the alternate zone(s), which are usually 2-channel audio outputs. The AVM20 is no exception, "except" in the case when you "copy" the Main path to the "other zone", and the other zone just follows the same output (digital or analog) of the Main path. If it's a mutli-channel source, then the alternate zone will get a stereo downmix while Main will get the normal, full multi-channel signal.

The AVM20 also has the option of using balanced XLR outputs for zone 2, which will help noise rejection if zone 2 if far, far away.

Regarding the Tuner question. I don't think any multi-zone unit has the ability to listen to different radio stations on different zones. This is because it would require multiple tuners. Of course, that may be the case on some units. I'd have to check on the AVM20

·
Registered
33 Posts
"4) Yes, but you would need an IR extender. There's several options."

What do you mean by and extender? I thought all I would need was an IR emitter and a receiver.

Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sorry, what I meant was just something to get the IR signal from one room to the other. I guess I sort of consider "extender" as a catch all term - just something to receive the signal and then pass it on to another device/receiver. I guess I should differentiate between just "extending" an IR signal (eg. "repeating" an IR signal over long distances), or translating it to some other type of signal and then optionally back to IR before it gets to the final destination. I haven't done a lot of research into all the options/devices available, but again, I'm sure there are at least several different options depending on the situation.

Of course, if you have a reasonable line-of-sight from one zone to the other, then you can just use a single remote pointed at the receiver/processor with nothing else.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback PlasmaSquid. You have answered my questions now I just need to find some cheap tuners to hook into my setup so that I can listen to one radio station in the main room while the "Gatekeeper" listens to her radio station in the bedroom or out by the pool.

Any ideas on where to find good tuners or who makes then?

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.