Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum members,

I am seriously considering purchasing the AVM-20 from an authorised Canadian dealer, but I have just had a thought about the compatibility

of the tuner. Will it work in Australia?

Can anybody tell me if tuners, regardless of type of audio gear is the same through out and will work in any country? I would think that the tuner in the AVM-20 is of the standard type and would work here in Australia.

Am I wrong? Can anybody shed some light on this before I commit to the purchase?

Thanks in Advance,

Andrew...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Andrew,

I have a AVM20 here in India and it works fine so I see no reason why should'nt work in Australia.

I dont think the radio waves for AM and FM band are any diff in canada than in Australia:)

Hope this helps,

Satyam

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Someone on the forum should know for sure but I do know that in some parts of the world the FM band frequency assignments are offset differently than in North America. As an exxample, 101.1 in the US might be 101.15 in some regions. This might give you a clue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
hi cwood,

I guess the assignment of a Station might very a bit in different locations like you stated but as far as the FM and AM band is concerned the norm of all the tuners made would be from 87.5 to 108.0, so according to me no matter where he buys the tuner from, as long as it has the freq from 87.5 to 108.0 then he should have no problem tuning into the local stations in Australia.

Someone please correct me if im wrong, but this is what my logic says.

Satyam

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The only difference (that I know of) internationally with regard to radio, is to do with FM tuning. In North America, we use odd numbers on the FM dial (92.1, 92.3, 92.5, etc.) where in Europe and some other countries I think they use even, or maybe even both numbers (92.0, 92.1, 92.2, 92.3, etc.) And the AVM20 can do either way. You should have no problem using this for radio reception anywhere in the world.

Also, worst case scenario: You add an external tuner and connect it to the Aux in on the AVM20, and you can listen to the radio, and still get the best pre/pro there is in this price range (just the opinion of a satisfied customer):D

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is one additional difference between Noth American FM broadcast characteristics and those in Europe and many other countries. In North America, there is a 75 microsecond pre-emphasis that is applied to the signal at the FM transmitter, and then a corresponding de-emphasis network in the tuner to yield a flat frequency response. In Europe and in other areas, the pre and de emphasis constant is 50 microseconds. If you use a North American tuner without a de-emphasis adjustment (some tuners do have them) in a 50 microsecond environment, the sound may be a bit bright (a little over 3 dB), and you would compensate with tone controls on your preamp. You should check on the characteristic in your particular environment to be sure, but I believe FM stations in Australia use 50 microsecond pre-emphasis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.