AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me explain. I know one is an pre the other a receiver. But the Denon seems to look very sweet by specs, and does a lot. See some links below:

Denon:

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3187.asp

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-E2Y5nmH...display=XL#Tab

Anthem

http://www.anthemav.com/NewSitev2.0/..._0x_Manual.pdf

Now i have the Anthem D1 and absolutely love the sound. Need HDMI sound processing. The Reon-VX in my HC-5000 does enough in video processing for me so no D2. I know that it will be a downgrade from the audio purist's stdpoint but help me with the best choice.

Thank yall

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Knowing you will be going down in audio quality, when you are talking about buying new audio equipment, doesn't make a whole lot of sense. In no way am I trying to be disrespectful. I have been looking at the AVM 50 and D2, myself. Maybe you just have a bit of the upgrade bug.

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/0

Knowing you will be going down in audio quality, when you are talking about buying new audio equipment, doesn't make a whole lot of sense. In no way am I trying to be disrespectful. I have been looking at the AVM 50 and D2, myself. Maybe you just have a bit of the upgrade bug.

What makes you think he will be going down in audio quality over the AVM 40

if he uses the Denon as a pre/pro?

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agree, but i am on a limited budget, and i have no use of the AVM50's Gennum.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce /forum/post/0

What makes you think he will be going down in audio quality over the AVM 40

if he uses the Denon as a pre/pro?

I was going off the last sentence in his post. But, after looking at it again, I see he said,"from an audio purist standpoint". So, using the Denon as a preamp, like you said, he wouldn't necessarily have to go down in quality. I stand corrected

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly, SB1 you think the Denon can hold a candle to the D1 in the processing department?

Did a side by side of all Denons and this is the only one sporting what the 5805 has, so it should be good?

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, after careful meditation i made a decision which i think is the best for me.

No unit short of a few can match the D1 sonically and i cant at this time justify downgrading my SACD experience over Cabernet Sauvignon
as filtered through the D1 (or was it the other way around ?). Nor will i pay $2000 on top of the $2600 i paid for the D1.

So, the logical thing to do is wait until Anthem offers HDMI 1.3 upgrades and go for it.

In the meantime the RatShack provided connectors and adaptors that allow me to piggyback 3 6-channel analog sources into the one set of input with minimal cable runs.

No Denon will match the D1 anytime soon sonically, i know it, nothing so far short of the likes of Lex MC-12 has come even close and i make it a point of finding a high end dealer and sitting in their auditioning room on the rare occasions when i can leave the farm and travel two hours to civilization.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule /forum/post/0

OK, after careful meditation i made a decision which i think is the best for me.

No unit short of a few can match the D1 sonically and i cant at this time justify downgrading my SACD experience over Cabernet Sauvignon
as filtered through the D1 (or was it the other way around ?). Nor will i pay $2000 on top of the $2600 i paid for the D1.

So, the logical thing to do is wait until Anthem offers HDMI 1.3 upgrades and go for it.

In the meantime the RatShack provided connectors and adaptors that allow me to piggyback 3 6-channel analog sources into the one set of input with minimal cable runs.

No Denon will match the D1 anytime soon sonically, i know it, nothing so far short of the likes of Lex MC-12 has come even close and i make it a point of finding a high end dealer and sitting in their auditioning room on the rare occasions when i can leave the farm and travel two hours to civilization.

Thank you all.

I see you changed your mind http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....roc&1174442186 are you getting the denon?

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nah, see above, i just saw the light, not worth giving the bird in hand for the one on the fence

I guess i always want the latest and best, unfortunately the two dont always add up, or if they do, like in the case of the D2, the cost is prohibitive.

So waiting for HDMI 1.3 board from Anthem patiently. Another great sign is that the D1s resell very well even now, has it been two years?

Eventually toward Christmas there will be so many HMDI 1.3 audio decoding units that Anthem will have to descend from the stratosphere and offer the upgrade at a more palatable price. In the meantime my PS3 outputs reasonable DD, and the HD-A1 does little wonders for 6 channel DDPlus and TrueHD, DPL2EXed by the D1.

By gully, push come to shove and the itch for HDMI audio processing overwhelming, i might shell out for a Panny XR57 which i will later use to upgrade my home office computer surround sound. Now why on Earth did they have to miss the pre outs on that toy ?

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:

Nah, see above, i just saw the light, not worth giving the bird in hand for the one on the fence

I guess i always want the latest and best, unfortunately the two dont always add up, or if they do, like in the case of the D2, the cost is prohibitive.

So waiting for HDMI 1.3 board patiently.

Smart man..........I think you have made the best decision. Kind of what I thought you should do when I first saw your post. No offense to Denon owners, at all. When will there be an HDMI upgrade for the D1? Or, do you mean it's already here. Sorry, haven't been keeping up with the D1 specs lately. Can't keep my mind off the D2.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:

Smart man..........I think you have made the best decision. Kind of what I thought you should do when I first saw your post. No offense to Denon owners, at all. When will there be an HDMI upgrade for the D1?

There is, but it is $2000 and HDMI 1.1:

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/P...pgrade_HW.html

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:

There is, but it is $2000 and HDMI 1.1:

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/P...pgrade_HW.html

I assume you've read through the why you don't need 1.3 thread. When you read through it, it makes you want to buy now. I posted in that thread, asking about getting a preamp with 1.1, or 1.2, only to find out afterwords, you actually do want 1.3. Personally, I'd rather wait it out. But, it's getting hard to.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts

Quote:

I assume you've read through the why you don't need 1.3 thread. When you read through it, it makes you want to buy now. I posted in that thread, asking about getting a preamp with 1.1, or 1.2, only to find out afterwords, you actually do want 1.3. Personally, I'd rather wait it out. But, it's getting hard to.

I was on the fence for a while, tried the xr57, marantz sr9600 and many others. my d2 is on order Im hoping the d2 will rock my world and It looks like it will be upgradable for years to come. one thing is for sure is the d1 and d2 dont stay on audiogon for long

good luck Bob and keep us posted on what you get!

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK OK i bit the bullet. Got the Yamaha VS-X2700. HMDI 1.2a and fully implemented, unlike the Marantz (5.1 PCM) and Pios (LFE). Should have really bought the HTR6090 but the geek in me had the final word.

Sold the Anthem D1. The guy will have a grin from ear to ear and have fun for years with it, not to mention the D2 upgradeability, HDMI 1.1.

My reason is this, this machine has 3 HMDI inputs, it does PCM 7.1 and DSD (SACDs), in networkable, upscales to 1080i, not that i need anything else with the Reon-VX in the Mitsu PJ.

It will be strictly used as a preamplifier, Sherbourn 5x1 monoblock biwired fronts and Adcom for surround scene, all on Belden 14AWG silver/gold spaded, basement grown.

I know it sounds a bit loopy, but i am planning to have a lot of fun with the Yammy. Will let you know how it sounds to my lame ears, and put the flame suit on

·
Registered
6,694 Posts

Quote:

OK OK i bit the bullet. Got the Yamaha VS-X2700. HMDI 1.2a and fully implemented, unlike the Marantz (5.1 PCM) and Pios (LFE). Should have really bought the HTR6090 but the geek in me had the final word.

Sold the Anthem D1. The guy will have a grin from ear to ear and have fun for years with it, not to mention the D2 upgradeability, HDMI 1.1.

My reason is this, this machine has 3 HMDI inputs, it does PCM 7.1 and DSD (SACDs), in networkable, upscales to 1080i, not that i need anything else with the Reon-VX in the Mitsu PJ.

It will be strictly used as a preamplifier, Sherbourn 5x1 monoblock biwired fronts and Adcom for surround scene, all on Belden 14AWG silver/gold spaded, basement grown.

I know it sounds a bit loopy, but i am planning to have a lot of fun with the Yammy. Will let you know how it sounds to my lame ears, and put the flame suit on

You'll love the 2700 from a functionality perspective. I bought it for virtually the same reasons, went from the RX-Z9. But, I just did the opposite of you and sold the 2700 because frankly I seriously missed that extra bit of sound quality for music. It just wasn't on par with my Z9. I figured that while the HDMI switching was a matter of convenience that audio quality wasn't something I could sacrifice. The difference wasn't stunning; I'm talking about the law of diminishing returns here, that last 2 to 5%.

What sealed the deal for me was the new multi- HD- format player that LG came out with. I figure it's only a matter of time now before there's a "high end" multi-format player like a Denon 5910 that will have pristine processing for all the HD formats and 7.1 analog outs. In the meantime the HD-A1 does quite a good job of converting the new HD audio into DTS and my new pre-pro can apply THX Ultra2 or PLIIx to that for 7 channel if I so choose.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:

i recently changed out my Outlaw pre-pro for a denon 2807 and, like rnrgagne, i noticed a very noticeable decrease in sound quality for music. i also have a sherbourn amp, so i'll be curious to hear about your impressions with the yamaha 2700. i have the Toshiba HD-A1 and Sony PS3 so the HDMI connectivity is essential.

i got the denon for a very good price and am looking at it as a "transitionary" piece until the right processor comes along (NAD & Sherwood-Newcastle?).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.