Registered
1,165 Posts
Not HDTV, but 16x9 widescreen SD, at least, according to PBS

Bob

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologize if its SD, but it really looks HD to me. There is a large portion of SD material (old TV footage) that is included, but the rest looks HD. Also when SD 16:9 is usually shown, I have to zoom in to have it fill my screen. This show is full screen without that zoom, and I only see that with HD or Fox WS.

The funny thing is that WETA is shown as a major PBS presented by station on the homepage of this program. Yet, WETA isn't showing it on its HD schedule. But MPT does have it. I'll deffer to expert opinions, but it looks HD to me.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
yes, PBS does show very high quality SD widescreen shows. My comment was not meant to demean the quality, but just a clarification. I am watching right now and, while it does say SD widescreen, some shots of the person being interviewed do look HD quality. Anyway, regardless of the PQ, the show itself is quite good!

Bob

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm. Well the MPT digital channel usually only shows HD material. Its usually a PBS Demo loop. But they have started to air more material lately.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Actually some of the demo loop is in SD also - the Maryland outdoors part for one. And there have been a number of "Nature"'s in SD.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I watched a little of this last night, and I could see where someone might think it was actual HD. The PQ of this SD broadcast was some of the best SD material I've seen. It looked better than the 480p stuff that FOX broadcasts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The cost of widescreen SD vs 4:3 SD is a one-time cost of $22K a camera, from what I understand. These are contribution dollars, remember. It makes things a lot better on a widescreen TV, even if its not really HD - particularly when broadcast on an up-converted HD channel where TV stretch modes are disabled (not all stations multicast 480i).

There are some types of programming where HD makes a huge difference, and others where its not so huge. Widescreen SD isn't going to blow anyone away, but it still looks pretty decent - and it allows the HD dollars to be spent on more compelling HD programming. PBS seems to be the only station that gets this.

BB

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
BB, I agree. I am not as much of a purist as most on this forum. Given the choice between 4:3 upcon and and widescreen SD, it am very happy with widescreen SD. Particularly from PBS, which has very limited $$. In fact, I think PBS should get more credit than they do for really driving HDTV. In my area (SFO Bay Area) KQED broadcasts a HD demo channel all day. When a HD or widescreen SD show comes on, it takes over the demo channel. Best of all, their demo material is often such great shows a Rudy Maxa and other great HD material.

Bob

·
Registered
534 Posts
I wastched it and it was clearly a mix of SD and HD material. Most of the live interviews were HD- After flipping between channels of HD, it was certainly a mix and extremely well produced.

Tim

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm pretty sure, also, that at least some of it was HD, especially the Walter Cronkite segments and the segments where they interviewed the former Al Qaida guy. If it was SD, it was the best SD I'VE ever seen! Very interesting show, also. Sorry I missed the first part on Tuesday.

Brad

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I think it was all SD. Even the shots of people from the studio looked fuzzy when the camera was zoomed out.

Colors, on the other hand, looked phenomenal, as good as any HD broadcast I've seen.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Some PBS shows which say widescreen do seem to have occasional real HD spliced in. This didn't seem to be one of them. It was good widescreen SD, but still SD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.