AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got my AVP upgrade back yesterday. first of all, i've had about only 2 hours total to listen so far...and only 2 channel music.

a couple of points about the upgrade: not advertised, but included, is a new menu option for each input.......for an audio delay (i think up to 125 ms) to correct for lip synch problems. quite a nice bonus. also call me stupid, but i guess we always had 7.1 capability with the a1 and a2 analog audio outs. every decoding algorithm seems included...i mean i've never even heard of some of them.

as i mentioned, so far all i can comment on is stereo music......although in my case this a primary cause for wanting the upgrade. with my PMDT feeding the AVP(2) via the balance digital input (Siltech cable), the CD quality has gone from excellent to audiophile quality. there is a lower noise floor (utter silence), more low level detail, better imaging....and (maybe) a deeper soundstage. also most obvious is improvement in detail and listening enjoyment at lower volumes. in all respects the sound seems identical to my Levinson #39 (upgraded to 390S) CD player.

i listened to a lot of piano pieces.......usually i consider that the toughest to reproduce well, and also female vocals.

as i read posts about the Lexicon, the nod usually goes to Proceed in the music department.....and I have to say.....music is great on this unit. as i also tend to watch a lot of concerts on dvd also, this is #1 on the list. subjectively, you could say the sound is smooth......mellow....non-fatiguing in the least.

i also listened to my DISH6000 music stations (Toslink...no coax dish...sheesh!!). here the sound was a bit more compressed...both soundstage and dynamic range, but extremely detailed. in fact the more i listened, the more i enjoyed it. ...but only about 15 minutes on that.

will try to get back in a timely manner with more details.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
could this be the 1st avp upgraded to avp2 internet review?

sound like you got your moneys worth. maybe?

congrats,

·
Registered
31,702 Posts
Quote:
every decoding algorithm seems included...i mean i've never even heard of some of them.
What are the new ones (or the ones you haven't heard of before).

Thanx,

Sanjay

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here goes:

THX Ultra II for all movie modes (switchable on/off)

ProLogic II (movie,music,thx)

mono surround (?)

mono on center

mono on front

and DD5.1 and DTS.......no DTS movie, music anymore.

i guess the software for 7.1 soundtracks will be made available when there are dvd's to support it.

no listening tonight, unfortunately.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
i guess the software for 7.1 soundtracks will be made available when there are dvd's to support it.
Aren't DD-EX and dts-ES included in current AVP2 upgrade version?

More s/w upgrade needed to get 7.1ch in the future?

(And how about HDCD decoding?)

dhKim

·
Registered
31,702 Posts
Quote:
Rob,

Thanks for the list. As for 7.1 speaker playback, don't you get that already with the THX Ultra 2 mode you currently have?

Sanjay

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just re-read the AVP2 manual on the madrigal web site, DD EX, DTS EX matrix and discrete should all be included in the AVP2 or AVP upgrade. Robster1958, can you double check for us?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry guys...........as i mentioned (maybe on a different thread), my needs are pretty basic: 2 ch stereo (sub-woofer off) for music and DTS (or AC3) for movies. so i am sorta ignorant about some of these newer modes.

but to answer your questions...and my mistakes:

Yes to HDCD

yes to:

THX Ultra

DD 5.1

DD Surround EX

DTS

DTS-ES Matrix

DTS-ES Discrete

Dolby PL

Dolby PL II (movie,music modes)

there also seem to be a ton of new bass management modes.

and don't forget: the audio delay for lip-synch issues.

i have the AVP2 owners manual with me now. any other questions?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i thought the audio delay was always there in the avp.

did you get the analog bypass option? faceplate?

how do you configure the aux1 and aux2 outs? as subwoofers? LFE? side surrounds or rear center? or can you mix it up?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd like to know how the DVD-Audio inputs work. Do you need to buy the "AVP2+6" upgrade? It's unclear what this upgrade does. I would like to put my DVD-Audio inputs into a preamp, without any bass management or A/D (and D/A). Does the AVP2 do this? I have the manual and have searched the Proceed website, but it's unclear as to what's going on.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John (and Azis):

I did not get the "plus 6" option, so have no knowledge...sorry.

No faceplate....not for $300...plus the "AVP2" logo seems a bit gaudy :)

Audio delay was there for surround speakers only in avp, as far as i know; not for the full audio output.

Aux1,2 outs: yes, yes and yes.........can configure one or both just about any which way. and i believe you can customize usage by input.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Robster1958 :

Any more listening notes, especially on movies?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
first of all........i had my pj out for cleaning (dust blobs)...it's back now and calibrated.

my theater is a complete mess. i took this opportunity of avp upgrade to clean up my spaghetti cable wire. so pj and scaler are awesome now, but when i hooked up video to avp2 upgrade, it did not work. not sure if i messed up, by when quickly bypassing avp video switching everything seemed to work. this is the first time i tried video switching since upgrading....crap. guess it will have to go back.

audio works fine. a few more notes (music only so far still -- excuse the bad pun).

in summary, as a music-only upgrade, i would pronounce the upgrade "worth it". in audiophile terms, $2500 was not outrageous for a sizable uptick in soundstage, instrument/vocal seperation, improved smoothness, and bass. i would say that overall airiness and bass are most imporoved. this is not a tweak: it's a serious upgrade to a new level of dac.

after more listening to satellite radio via toslink (with and without monarchy audio dejitter box), i would rate the improvement here as substantial as well.

aslo as i mentioned before, the improvements are quite audible at low (normal) listening volumes. when cranked up on simple material, the difference before and after is less noticable. for example diana krall at nightclub volume sounds about as damn good as before, maybe a hint more air. but with more complex rock and jazz really cranked, the separation improvements are better appreciated with the avp2. also dynamic range seems a hair better too...maybe the lower noise floor.

i played a couple of dvd soundtracks quickly, but i'm still out of commission for 5.1 channel. one immediately noticable improvement though was the much better localization of dialog adn sound effects.

more to come.....

except for this video hitch, i pronounce the $2500 well-spent.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
video switching...my problem!

oops.

was using a bad cable....somewhere between plugging and unplugging, i bent one of the s-video pins.

now i can set it all up and (finally) enjoy. and of course post!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for the update. Please keep them coming ..... :)

Your posts are given guys that are more or less stuck with the upgrade, like myself, some relief that the upgrade is worth the $2.5K asking price. Again and again, we keep asking ourselves : which other processor can we upgrade to for $1.5K (AVP trade-in) + $2.5K upgrade cost = $4K, that will perform better? We keep coming back to the AVP upgrade path would probably be the most cost effective for us to go.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
tszfung,

I prefer to think that the upgrade path for a stellar unit is a good deal. I have never felt that I was "stuck" with my AVP :). It is a very early unit and has performed flawlessly and better than most units costing more.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Robert,

Believe it or not, I do agree with you. Just for background, I owned a Meridian 561 for 2 years during which time, there were 2 software upgrades. However, the promised hardware upgrade was never materialized for Meridian so I found an AVP on the used market and switched to AVP. So far I am very happy with the AVP as sonically it's a definite step up from the 561 and there is also the hardware upgrade path that I can pursue which is not available for the Meridians (except for the 861).

I do not consider that I was "stuck" with my AVP but there are a lot of people out there that were put off by the $2.5K asking price. If I have another $5K for upgrade, I would probably trade-in my AVP for the Lexicon MC12B as that would get me more features and surround modes, probably better surround sound quality for HT as well.

All in all, with my current financial condition, my first option is the AVP upgrade.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.