AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

Let me preface this post by stating I am an unequivical "newbie" to home audio/video. Having said that, I recently took the plunge to have my house's new addition wired for a home theatre system (5.1).

My builder's recommended low-voltage electronics company put me in a denon AVR-1609 receiver and sonance ceiling mounted surround speakers

I purchased a Toshiba 46" Regza LCD through Costco and am very happy with the TV. My subwoofer is a mourdant-short model that a buddy of mine purchased about a year ago but was too big for his wife's taste, so lucky me...

The problem I have is twofold:

1. I cannot any output through my subwoofer while in cinema mode while the 4 other channels are working fine. I've read the (pretty confusing) manual several times, and found one section about powering the sub "on" or "off". It is on - I don't know what the problem is.

2. My picture quality of DVD's is signficantly diminished when run in cinema mode. After reading posts on this website, I understand that the 1609 cannot handle audio via HDMI. Because of this, my installer used component cables. Could this be also affecting the video quality? Another weird thing is that the picture size automatically defaults to a much smaller picture on the screen - the movie itself is surrounded by black bars on all four sides. I adjust the picture size via the remote, but the picture further deteriorates with an upsized picture size.

The installer is coming back out to the house to provide an i-pod dock which he didn't initially have and address the subwoofer, but i'd like to have him address the picture issue. However, since he is the one who set it up, i'm betting he'll tell me that "that's how it is supposed to look" or something to that affect.

Anyway - I am not satisfied and need some help as to what I should be doing or instructing this guy to do. That may include sending back this unit for an upgraded model that can handle HDMI if that will improve my picture quality.

I'd appreciate any input any of you guys and gals would share as to what's wrong and what I can do to improve the picture.

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like you have something set up wrong. Umm, component cables only transmit the picture. I assume there is another cable set up for sound?

You should use HDMI directly to your tv for picture, and optical cable(from dvd player to the denon) for your sound. This will give you best picture and sound available with your set-up. Don't run video through your avr at all since the sound goes through a different cable. Less is more when running cables, right?

If you do step-up to the 1909, you can run the HDMI to your denon from the dvd player, and another HDMI from the denon out to your tv to handle picture and sound. With the 1609 not passing sound through HDMI (i am taking your word that it doesn't do audio thru HDMI) you can still use HDMI from dvd player to your tv and just have that seperate cable for sound. My receiver doesn't have HDMI. So i use my ps3 hooked up directly to my tv w/HDMI cable, and have an optical cable going from the ps3 to my receiver. Best possible picture and sound i can acheive from my set-up.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My guess is that your installer should be replaced.

However, if that's not an option, try the following:

Run a HDMI cable from the dvd/bluray and the cable box/sat box into the denon for video. Secondly, use a Digital optical from each of those into the denon, run another HDMI cable from the denon directly into the TV.

He is probably using red/white/yellow which is not only not a digital format for sound but its also only going to support standard def picture.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That'd be really bad if is red/white/yellow. It does explain the sub-par sound and picture though, so i bet "the rick" is right on. Check it out and let us know.

But there is no reason to run any HDMI through the Denon as a passthrough. Might as well go directly to the source (tv). So HDMI from dvd to tv and HDMI from cable to tv. Then like the rick and I suggested the digital opticals from both to the denon. That'll be 1 less HDMI wire to buy vs going through the denon. Only real benefit would be to lessen wires going to tv, but you'll need to buy extra HDMI if you go that route. And really, if its only 2 vs 1?Thats the only benefit. Picture should be same either way. Also, to the OP, don't let your installer jack up prices on HDMI cables. Get them through monoprice.com on the cheap-they'll be the same as you'd buy for 70 bucks at local retailers for fraction of the cost. Same with the digital opticals. Sounds like he's already taken advantage of your lack of knowledge. Shame on him.

On a lighter note, once its set up this way, the difference will be night and day, and you'll really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys -

Thanks a ton for the feedback. I'll get it set up as you outline and let you know the results!

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts