AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 3806 is a higher end reciever. how come the prices for it are lower across the board than for the 2807? Is the 2807 a better sounding reciever even though the 3807 has more features and wattage? Thinking about getting one of these.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin /forum/post/0

The 3806 is a higher end reciever. how come the prices for it are lower across the board than for the 2807? Is the 2807 a better sounding reciever even though the 3807 has more features and wattage? Thinking about getting one of these.

I think the 3806 is on the way out, I saw one on MAJOR clearence at Best Buy/Magnolia for over 50% off, brand new. The 2807 is not being cleared out yet, partly because it is probably one of the most popular "mid level" pre-amps out there.

The major differences include better DACS(Burr-Brown) on the 3806, 10W more power, a different remote, no IPOD dock.

One thing the 2807 has that the 3806 doesn't is upconverting from 480i to 480p. This is a big deal for some people, myself included since many HDMI inputs on TV's do NOT accept a 480i signal. That was the ultimate reason I did not pick up the 3806 for so cheap. Head to head I might hear the better sound out of the 3806, but with my speakers that are far from "high end" (Focal Sib XL's)

If the HDMI upconversion thing doesn't affect/bother you, then I saw go for the 3806, it does have a couple better things on it than the 2807/987.

My gut was telling me the 2807/987 the entire time, so I stuck with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would like to know also if the 3806 is better overall in quality sound and HT than the newest 2807. I have a 2807 NIB at my home waiting to open and listen to it to see if I like it compared to the Pio Elite VSX-81. Anyone that can help here, please advise... not that the prior poster isn't qualified! Thanks for your input BTW.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If your gonna get blu-ray or HD-DVD and have a 7.1 setup you may want to think about the newer 2807. The 3806 can only do 5.1 LPCM ( from everything Ive read) while the 2807 can do 7.1 LPCM...

Theres only a small amount of moveis and/or PS3 games that do 7.1 LPCM right now but thats gonna change. Thats why imo the 2807 is the more futureproof reciever.

The other differences are small, the 2807 has an IPOD hookup. The 3806 wieghs a bit more with a few more watts, thats about it.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin /forum/post/0

Where did you find lower price for 3806? Its MSRP is $200 more than 2807.

I think 3806 (perhaps other current models too) will be replaced with newer model during this year.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny /forum/post/0

If your gonna get blu-ray or HD-DVD and have a 7.1 setup you may want to think about the newer 2807. The 3806 can only do 5.1 LPCM ( from everything Ive read) while the 2807 can do 7.1 LPCM...

Theres only a small amount of moveis and/or PS3 games that do 7.1 LPCM right now but thats gonna change. Thats why imo the 2807 is the more futureproof reciever.

The other differences are small, the 2807 has an IPOD hookup. The 3806 wieghs a bit more with a few more watts, thats about it.

Do you know this for sure? You keep posting this again and again, but have you tested this with 3806? If so, perhaps it needs to be posted in "Future proof receivers" thread, which lists all current HDMI Denons as level 6 receivers.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
Do you know this for sure? You keep posting this again and again, but have you tested this with 3806? If so, perhaps it needs to be posted in "Future proof receivers" thread, which lists all current HDMI Denons as level 6 receivers

Ive been trying to help everybody figure out if the 3806 does indeed do 7.1 LPCM ...Its so freakin hard to get a audio question answered sometimes on this forum. I dont have the 3806 anymore ( have a 2807 ) ..so I cant personally test it.

Please see the thread Ive linked below, We are trying to figure out once and for all if the 3806 can or cant..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=787410

PS. I read almost every thread on many forums on the subject and cant find one actuall person who's ( so far ) had success getting a 7.1 LPCM signal thru HDMI to the 3806 ...MAYBE thats just because not many have actually tried ( or have the equipment needed to test )..

Do you know that it does for a fact ? ...do you have a 3806 and/or have read somewhere ( other then the general level thread where it wasnt actually tested ) ..that somebody has actually gotten it to work ?

Please somebody / anybody stepup and tell us you've had success getting the 7.1 LPCM THRU HDMI to the 3806 and lets get this resolved once and for all.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Also one thing that the 2807 can do ( Ive verified it )...is apply Audessey EQ to a LPCM signal ( be it 5.1 or 7.1 ) ...This is a GREAT feature imo...

Im not sure if the 3806 can do this or not ? ..Just trying to get to the bottom of this, so people can make an informed decision before they purchase.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:

Just trying to get to the bottom of this, so people can make an informed decision before they purchase.

Same here, trying to decide between 3806 and 2807. I don't have a HD source yet, so will not be able to test it with HD lossless audio.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
Same here, trying to decide between 3806 and 2807

I went thru that same thing. Actually I had the 3806 6 months back before I had the PS3..The 3806's an excellant reciever but honestly ( and out of 705 posts Ive made here on AVS I have never been a fan boy of anything )..but gotta say that Im delighted with the 2807. For me the 3806 had no real advantages over the 2807..

My speakers are fairly effecient and easy to drive so the couple of extra watts wouldnt have made any audible difference, plus in my mind neither is gonna drive ineffecient speakers very well so either way you'd need an external amp in that case. The dacs are a bit different but again, it wouldnt be an audible difference as both dacs are good. I would bet my bottom dollar that I wouldnt be able to blind a/b test them and tell them apart.

So the fact that I knew for sure that the 2807 does 7.1 LPCM and doesnt have any quirks whatsoever put the 2807 over the top..and to boot its the newer model and can be had for close to the same price

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:

I went thru that same thing. Actually I had the 3806 6 months back before I had the PS3..The 3806's an excellant reciever but honestly ( and out of 705 posts Ive made here on AVS I have never been a fan boy of anything )..but gotta say that Im delighted with the 2807. For me the 3806 had no real advantages over the 2807..

My speakers are fairly effecient and easy to drive so the couple of extra watts wouldnt have made any audible difference, plus in my mind neither is gonna drive ineffecient speakers very well so either way you'd need an external amp in that case. The dacs are a bit different but again, it wouldnt be an audible difference as both dacs are good. I would bet my bottom dollar that I wouldnt be able to blind a/b test them and tell them apart.

So the fact that I knew for sure that the 2807 does 7.1 LPCM and doesnt have any quirks whatsoever put the 2807 over the top..and to boot its the newer model and can be had for close to the same price

I too am leaning towards 2807. Additional 10w/channel is not really significant.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had a chance to demo these two receiver side by side at the local store. To me, the sound from 3806 is much more superior on both 2 channels and 7.1 dts. Much better sound, a lot more juice I would say. I would definitely choose the 3806 for the sound. I'm actually in the market for the 3806 (searching for deals now).

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
Magnolia told me both colors of 3806 was out of their inventory and discontinued. That's almost a sure sign a 3808CI is on the way...

Anyways, they said no store nearby in Cali or Arizona (I'm towards LA
) had any, but if they did, they would be ~$800.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD /forum/post/0

Magnolia told me both colors of 3806 was out of their inventory and discontinued. That's almost a sure sign a 3808CI is on the way...

Anyways, they said no store nearby in Cali or Arizona (I'm towards LA
) had any, but if they did, they would be ~$800.

Damn, I'm in LA. Maybe I can get the demo or open box. It's a nice receiver. I don't have a big screen tv w/ HDMI yet. So that issue w/ HDMI isn't really a problem for me, maybe in the future.

P.S that local audio place (authorized dealer) is letting it go for $1200 out the door.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
I had a chance to demo these two receiver side by side at the local store. To me, the sound from 3806 is much more superior on both 2 channels and 7.1 dts. Much better sound, a lot more juice I would say. I would definitely choose the 3806 for the sound

Different strokes for different folks. My local Denon dealer and myself ( along with a fellow employee )..sat down and gave them both a listen and couldnt tell a licks worth of difference between the two, but it was in a store environment and not in my home environment so I dont really consider it a fair comparison ( Id much rather blind a/b test something) and this wasnt a blind test . But I think if you heard THAT MUCH of a difference as you did then maybe there was something wrong/or setup wrong on the 2807, because I doubt very seriously it was the "lot more juice" thing...

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:

Also one thing that the 2807 can do ( Ive verified it )...is apply Audessey EQ to a LPCM signal ( be it 5.1 or 7.1 ) ...This is a GREAT feature imo...

Im not sure if the 3806 can do this or not ? ..Just trying to get to the bottom of this, so people can make an informed decision before they purchase.

3806 can do the same

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:

Different strokes for different folks. My local Denon dealer and myself ( along with a fellow employee )..sat down and gave them both a listen and couldnt tell a licks worth of difference between the two, but it was in a store environment and not in my home environment so I dont really consider it a fair comparison ( Id much rather blind a/b test something) and this wasnt a blind test . But I think if you heard THAT MUCH of a difference as you did then maybe there was something wrong/or setup wrong on the 2807, because I doubt very seriously it was the "lot more juice" thing...

I would doubt most people in an A to B blind test would be able to tell a difference.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertStern /forum/post/0

I would doubt most people in an A to B blind test would be able to tell a difference.

I clearly hear a different. It could be the different settings between the units. But from what I heard, the 3806 is clearly a better sound unit.

Anyway, I've been calling around bestbuy. There's one store has a demo unit of 3806 with no box or mic. It only has the receiver and the remote. They are letting it go at $600. Is that a good deal? I haven't check out the unit myself. Physically wise the guy said it's flawless. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
600 sounds pretty damned good. You should still get full warranty IIRC. Everyone says the remote sucks anyway (and there's always evil-bay if you MUST have one - there's a 3805 remote, which I actually like a bit better, on evil-bay now. There's also a 3806 remote, as well).

Where's this one at? I might have to beat you to it. jk.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD /forum/post/0

600 sounds pretty damned good. You should still get full warranty IIRC. Everyone says the remote sucks anyway (and there's always evil-bay if you MUST have one - there's a 3805 remote, which I actually like a bit better, on evil-bay now. There's also a 3806 remote, as well).

Where's this one at? I might have to beat you to it. jk.

Well, they have one demo unit left. Unfortunately, it has a scratch in the corner about 8-10mm. This one only has the remote and the receiver. No boxes. They'll let it go for $549. I need the mic for the Audyssey EQ. How much is the mic cost? Do you think it's a good deal? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.