AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I've got a Harman Kardon AVR-354 feeding the signal to my Vivitek H1080FD projector via a Cmple 25ft HDMI cable. The image suffers from really severe sparklies and flickering. Connecting my Sony BDP-S350 directly to the projector works flawlessly, as does a 4' cable from the receiver to the projector that I tried temporarily. I spoke to Harman Kardon tech support and they're response is that the cable is too long, a cable longer than 9' is not supported.

I have no other receiver to test - are poor HDMI repeaters common in receivers?

Many people seem to be using runs of this length without any trouble. For those of you with runs in this range, were extra steps such as external repeaters or EQ necessary to get it to work?

Thanks for your time,

Cherdyakov

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

what you are experiencing is generally cable related, so you've got that part down...

i would first try one of the belden cables from blue jeans before i tried to amplify the signal...

are avr's "poor repeaters" commonly? no, i wouldn't say that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clearly the receiver is not as good an HDMI source as the Blu Ray player so I think it could be considered a receiver problem as well - but I take your point and might try a better cable before anything else. Thanks ccotenj.

Also, Harman Kardon's response that cables over 9' simply won't work seems odd to me. That's the reason I was curious about other peoples' experiences with the HDMI repeaters built into their receivers.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
you asked if it was a "common" problem with receivers... you didn't ask if it was a problem with that specific receiver...

you asked for advice, you got advice... do what you like...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I thanked you for your advice and that thanks was sincere! I even got in touch with Blue Jeans about a new cable, so it isn't like I ignored you. I'm also curious what other people might say about their receivers regardless of model, that's all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HDMI issue HK354. So my issue started out with a flicker when using the video processing in the unit. IE Sony BDP 7000ES to HK 354 to 50 inch Plasma. When I would start the Blu Ray player, at the menu it would "flicker" but it would stop as soon at the movie started. Replaced HDMI cables to no avail. PS: good cables, pro 3 foot. not cheap! I have had this issue since i purchased the unit from HK direct. 3 months ago Video quit completely. So I bypassed the 354 and got a acceptable picture. Few days ago, the unit would not accept manuel commands without using the remote. So I did the update exactly as stated from HK. ( It would not accept the video upgrade software) Now the unit is reset and locked in surround sound and all I can control is the volume. I was told that it has a processor issue, has to go to an HK shop. Just to look at it they want $85! Nice unit when its working. Now its a door stop. Thanks HK!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts