AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am a happy owner of a B&K AVR507 that I have been using the for last 6 years and I am starting to consider replacing it. I looked at the Denon AVR4810ci as one of the options as well as the AVR 707.

I use my setup 80% for movies in mkv format and 20% for stereo music playback (cds and mp3). I have a set of B&Ws 600 series (603s, 601, LCR600 and sub) in a 5.1 setup that I plan to keep and hook to the new receiver. I guess the big quesiton is, will the AVR4810ci be considered an upgrade compared to the B&K? I know my 507 does not have the latest and greatest sound decoders and HDMI but it sounds really well and I would hate spending money when I dont really have to as I also want to replace my pj.

As usual thanks in advance for yor help.

Martin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairesman /forum/post/18201454


Hi there,

I am a happy owner of a B&K AVR507 that I have been using the for last 6 years and I am starting to consider replacing it. I looked at the Denon AVR4810ci as one of the options as well as the AVR 707.

I use my setup 80% for movies in mkv format and 20% for stereo music playback (cds and mp3). I have a set of B&Ws 600 series (603s, 601, LCR600 and sub) in a 5.1 setup that I plan to keep and hook to the new receiver. I guess the big quesiton is, will the AVR4810ci be considered an upgrade compared to the B&K? I know my 507 does not have the latest and greatest sound decoders and HDMI but it sounds really well and I would hate spending money when I dont really have to as I also want to replace my pj.

As usual thanks in advance for yor help.

Martin

You have an outstanding receiver and unless it was broken I wouldn't replace it. From a pure power point of view not many current receivers will come close to matching the power supply of your B&K. Also it has preouts and supports multi-channel inputs so you can always add an external amp or buy a blu ray player that supports multichannel out and you will still get all the newer codecs. If you want auto eq, then you might want to think about buying something new. But I would keep that B&K until it gave up the ghost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhasa-lover /forum/post/18204047


You have an outstanding receiver and unless it was broken I wouldn't replace it. From a pure power point of view not many current receivers will come close to matching the power supply of your B&K. Also it has preouts and supports multi-channel inputs so you can always add an external amp or buy a blu ray player that supports multichannel out and you will still get all the newer codecs. If you want auto eq, then you might want to think about buying something new. But I would keep that B&K until it gave up the ghost.

Thanks for your reply and advice, before I started this I felt this was going to be the case. I guess I can always buy a Pre/pro and use the B&K as an amp so that I can take advantage of the latest codecs available in the market today or whenever I decide to do it withiout losing the power and SQ of the 507...

Once again, thanks.


Still interested on what other folks have to say on this...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
You could always go with separates. Something from Emotiva would do nicely as a replacement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairesman /forum/post/18204434


Thanks for your reply and advice, before I started this I felt this was going to be the case. I guess I can always buy a Pre/pro and use the B&K as an amp so that I can take advantage of the latest codecs available in the market today or whenever I decide to do it withiout losing the power and SQ of the 507...

Once again, thanks.


Still interested on what other folks have to say on this...

A few things. I don't believe you can use your receiver's amp section front ended by a prepro. You can use it as a prepro front ending for an amp.


Second. If you want to take advantage of the latest codecs, simply buy a blu-ray player that outputs multi-channel analog. They are everywhere. For example the LG 390. About $200. Then you can connect your player via analog out to your B&K via its analog inputs. Set the player to output LPCM and the player will decode all the latest codecs and the receiver will pass them through. Works perfectly and flawlessly. Its a hell of a lot cheaper to buy a multichannel analog out blu ray player than it is to buy a new receiver or preprocessor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhasa-lover /forum/post/18204676


Its a hell of a lot cheaper to buy a multichannel analog out blu ray player than it is to buy a new receiver or preprocessor.

Yeah, but not as fun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/18204684


Yeah, but not as fun

Now that I agree with.



Its why I have an NAD preprocessor and Sherbourn amp in my main area. But in my upstairs bedroom I moved my older receiver and connected it just that way I described above. Sounds great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhasa-lover /forum/post/18204676


A few things. I don't believe you can use your receiver's amp section front ended by a prepro. You can use it as a prepro front ending for an amp.


Second. If you want to take advantage of the latest codecs, simply buy a blu-ray player that outputs multi-channel analog. They are everywhere. For example the LG 390. About $200. Then you can connect your player via analog out to your B&K via its analog inputs. Set the player to output LPCM and the player will decode all the latest codecs and the receiver will pass them through. Works perfectly and flawlessly. Its a hell of a lot cheaper to buy a multichannel analog out blu ray player than it is to buy a new receiver or preprocessor.

You're right, now that I think about it I wont be able to use the AVR amp section. My problem with your second option is that this, by doing that wouldn't you be using cheap audio processing ($200) instead of more quality components used on a receiver like my 507? I am into HT PCs so I guess I could build one with a sound that that outputs the five channels, can't I?

Thanks again in advance for your comments...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairesman /forum/post/18205436


You're right, now that I think about it I wont be able to use the AVR amp section. My problem with your second option is that this, by doing that wouldn't you be using cheap audio processing ($200) instead of more quality components used on a receiver like my 507? I am into HT PCs so I guess I could build one with a sound that that outputs the five channels, can't I?

Thanks again in advance for your comments...

There are several threads that have addressed this that you can search for and read to your heart's content but let me net it out for you. There is no SQ difference between decoding in the player as opposed to the receiver. You will be giving up nothing. The only thing you would give up is any post processing but your receiver does not apply any post processing such as auto EQ anyhow. In any kind of unsighted test you or nobody else would be able to hear the difference. Also let me correct a mistake I made in an earlier post. This is what I posted: Then you can connect your player via analog out to your B&K via its analog inputs. Set the player to output LPCM and the player will decode all the latest codecs and the receiver will pass them through. Works perfectly and flawlessly. This was incorrect. When connecting via analog out your receiver just passes the signal. Sorry for the miscommunication. But regardless decoding the signal in the player and passing it via analog out straight to the receiver results in zero sq loss.


FYI, I have close to $5K invested in just my preprocessor and amplifier so while I may not have "high" FI, I clearly have, at the very least, Mid-FI and I do, in fact, pass LPCM to my preprocessor via HDMI allowing my player to decode everything. Sounds great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhasa-lover /forum/post/18205623


There are several threads that have addressed this that you can search for and read to your heart's content but let me net it out for you. There is no SQ difference between decoding in the player as opposed to the receiver. You will be giving up nothing. The only thing you would give up is any post processing but your receiver does not apply any post processing such as auto EQ anyhow. In any kind of unsighted test you or nobody else would be able to hear the difference. Also let me correct a mistake I made in an earlier post. This is what I posted: Then you can connect your player via analog out to your B&K via its analog inputs. Set the player to output LPCM and the player will decode all the latest codecs and the receiver will pass them through. Works perfectly and flawlessly. This was incorrect. When connecting via analog out your receiver just passes the signal. Sorry for the miscommunication. But regardless decoding the signal in the player and passing it via analog out straight to the receiver results in zero sq loss.


FYI, I have close to $5K invested in just my preprocessor and amplifier so while I may not have "high" FI, I clearly have, at the very least, Mid-FI and I do, in fact, pass LPCM to my preprocessor via HDMI allowing my player to decode everything. Sounds great.

Thanks much, sounds like the best desicion is to simply keep my AVR then. I kinda wanted to hear that, as I really love this receiver and was concern that I may sell it to replace it with something of less SQ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Speaker /forum/post/19905475


Anyone want to modify this advice? Put another way: Has anything changed in a year that would prompt the OP to sell his AVR 507?

I just went through all of these feelings recently. Not because I was thinking of selling an AVR-507, but because I was thinking of purchasing one. I'm in the process of designing a new home with a larger home theater. I currently have a small home theater and was using an AVR-305. I was ready for something newer, but couldn't afford the AVR-707. I LOVE my B&K stuff. I sold my 305 and got my 507 for a difference of $100-$150 more. What a bargain. I gained 2 more channels, less age on my equipment and better processing. I want 7.1 for my future home theater. The 507 is absolutely wonderful.

AVR-507 Cons:

No HDMI.

No current processing like DTS-MA and Dolby True-HD.

No analog inputs for 7.1 (but it does have the inputs for 5.1).


AVR-507 Solutions:
HDMI: I use a switch and it works just fine. I have the audio going to the 507 and the HDMI going to the projector. It requires an additional button to be pushed to go between DVR and Blu-Ray. No bid deal.
Processing: Have you looked at what material has DTS-MA and Dolby True-HD in 7.1? Almost nothing. This is one of those situations like 3-D TV. The manufacturers are pushing the technology without many sources to appreciate your investment. Being the first one on the block to have new technology comes with a price.
5.1 VS. 7.1 Inputs: When (or if) 7.1 really becomes the norm, here is my solution. Solution A: Buy a Blu-Ray player that has 7.1 analog outputs. Plug 5.1 into the AVR-507 and buy a stereo amplifier for the other two outputs. I wish the 507 had inputs for all 7.1, but it doesn't and I've been told it can't be reconfigured. Solution B: By the time 7.1 becomes the norm, you'll be able to buy an AVR-707 at a severly reduced price. In five years, sell your 507 for $300 and buy a 707 for $600.



Here is my philosophy on receivers. I have expensive taste, but I'm too cheap to pay big money for brand new. If I upgrade every five years, to what was the flagship five years ago, I'll have fairly current techology at about 1/7 of the cost. You'll still be able to have a $3500 receiver, but no one has to know you paid $500 for it.

Keep your AVR-507, but go to your local Home Theater shops and look at what they have for sale now. Ask questions.........listen to things..........play with the buttons..........do your research. When you decide what it is you like, watch for it in a few years for much less. There is always the risk of getting a used unit that may need repair. Even if you are unlucky and need to make a repair, the deal you will find will still outweigh the original MSRP you would have paid. It's like a used car. The value always goes down, because there are too many people who want brand new. Let them take the hit. Keep this in mind too. Most people who spend BIG money on AV equipment probably take very good care of it.


Thanks for you time and I hope I haven't offended anyone. I'm not saying you should use antiquated equipment either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
I have a custom high end audio system, with custom hand made digital processor, a passive non active preamp with a 4 position selector switch and a custom hand made amp and speakers. My audio system with my newly patented audio cable is pretty much beyond state of the art, but in truth I bi-amp my speakers and only use the B&K avr-507 that I have to drive the woofers in my system. I use it to process home theater movies so I have manged the best of both worlds. Many years ago audiophiles purchased processors and added 3 channel amps like yamaha used to make for center and surround speakers only. My B&K weighs 55 lbs. and has been said before has power supplies pretty incomparable today. I've listened to several year old Arcams, they were cold and sterile sounding, went to a high end supplier locally , listened to their flagship $70,000 system and I was in shock at how muted, dark, lacking in detail and designed simply to not offend anyone. I have some Sennheiser HD-800 headphones that have been totally rewired and my audio system sounds like the headphones. I have an array of the Bandor (English) 2" drivers crossed over at around 130 heretz or so, but the B&K always delivered in the sound department as they started out as an audio only companies in the early 80's I believe and it's a shame that they went out of business unable to adapt in the last 15 years. I started out with their avr-202 which was a landmark product,

Oh well, what to do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhr /forum/post/20907298


I have a custom high end audio system, with custom hand made digital processor, a passive non active preamp with a 4 position selector switch and a custom hand made amp and speakers. My audio system with my newly patented audio cable is pretty much beyond state of the art, but in truth I bi-amp my speakers and only use the B&K avr-507 that I have to drive the woofers in my system. I use it to process home theater movies so I have manged the best of both worlds. Many years ago audiophiles purchased processors and added 3 channel amps like yamaha used to make for center and surround speakers only. My B&K weighs 55 lbs. and has been said before has power supplies pretty incomparable today. I've listened to several year old Arcams, they were cold and sterile sounding, went to a high end supplier locally , listened to their flagship $70,000 system and I was in shock at how muted, dark, lacking in detail and designed simply to not offend anyone. I have some Sennheiser HD-800 headphones that have been totally rewired and my audio system sounds like the headphones. I have an array of the Bandor (English) 2" drivers crossed over at around 130 heretz or so, but the B&K always delivered in the sound department as they started out as an audio only companies in the early 80's I believe and it's a shame that they went out of business unable to adapt in the last 15 years. I started out with their avr-202 which was a landmark product,

Oh well, what to do?

Keith, I agree w/you for the most part. However, B&K was acquired by ATI, the same company who acquired ThetaDigital. B and K is still available thru some dealers. And B and K could stand up to any 4ohm speaker that I've encountered. There are some brands that would be forced into "standby" mode when driving 4ohms... and that's well know brands by the way!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top