AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried playing with the crossover settings for my HK avr 525 to try and find an optimal one for my speakers today. After playing with it for a while, I realized that the crossover doesn't seem to do much! Is my unit defective, can someone else with the same receiver verify that their unit behaves differently from mine?

Let me explain exactly what the problem is. I did tests on individual channels using the sweep tone test from avia which lists the frequency of the tone. I set all speakers to small, and the 525 has 3 sets of crossovers, one for the fronts, one for center, and one for surrounds. I set all my crossovers at 100 hz. I played the test one and even when the tone went down below a hundred hz it was still playing out of the speaker. In fact, no matter what crossover setting, whether 40 hz or 200 hz, the tone played out of the speaker all the time. Now the sub has a crossover setting too, when I set that to 40 hz, then I can perceive a gap from when the speakers cut out until 40 hz when the sub kicks in, so that crossover works.

Now I do notice when I change between the extremes of 40hz and 200 hz, when I play a 150hz tone, it is softer at the 200 hz setting. Does that mean that crossovers are not a clip setting and that the rolloff is actually gradual? If so, it's still strange that at 200 hz crossover, I can still hear signals at 80 hz from the speaker.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.