AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 7.1 setup at home and thinking of either adding an external amp to my upgraded AVC-A1SE (AVR-5800) or sell Denon and purchase new Pioneer VSX-AX10Ai (59TXi).

I am in Australia and if I keep the Denon would purchase a local amplifier (Elektra Theatre 7) which is highly regarded.

I would like PIIx but I don't think this will be offered as an upgrade to the Denon. This attracts me to Pioneer as well as very positive reviews I have noted on this unit. MCACC is also a bonus although I have acoustic treatment to HT and am handy with spl meter.

I figure I could potentially come out ahead in $$ if swap to Pioneer (in order of $A1000) however could use 2 channels of external amp to power my zone 2 while always having a high quality amp available if I upgrade down the track to a processor/pre-amp.

Any thoughts of whether amp upgrade to Denon will surpass the Pioneer and PIIx?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stephenbr
I would like PIIx but I don't think this will be offered as an upgrade to the Denon.
Such an upgrade is available - at least in the states. It's posted under the products link at the US Denon site.

Ed

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx - hadn't known it had been made available to the AVR-5800 (AVC-A1SE).

I should've also mentioned that while PIIx is good (the 'icing on the cake') the main reason I am thinking of a change is for improved sound.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I just realized that you are talking about the 5800 vs the 5803. My previous response was based on the 5803. I guess I have 5803 on my brain since I just bought one this weekend and will be upgrading it to the 5803A to get DD PLIIx. I believe that there is a 5800 to 5803 upgrade and so maybe it is also 5800 to 5803A.

Personnaly I wouldn't spend a lot of $$ to go from the Denon to the Pioneer 59TXi because I basically consider them peers, not that one is significantly better than the other. If you are looking for any significant improvement, I think that you have to go with separate Pre/Pro and Amp route.

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.