AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using this HK AVR635 for 2 years now and I think I'm at the end of my rope. It's VERY buggy. First, I was annoyed that it would lose its memory when power was removed ... even a quick blip during a storm caused it forget the settings. Because I entered new labels for each setting, it was pain having to enter everything multiple times. Plus, all the audio inputs got mixed up and I'd have to realign everything. And, three times now, the HK stopped driving the subwoofer. I wind up messing around with it for a few hours ... resetting it, unplugging it, re-loading firmware ... not really sure if the sub decided to fail or if the receiver decided to fail. Two times, the AVR suddenly started working normally again but I don't know exactly what caused it ... was it a reset, power cycle, firmware load?? Also ... the last firmware really messed up the EZSET/EQ - too much treble. What the hell was HK thinking?

It's time for an upgrade to HDMI anyway. I love the HK sound and the Logic 7 processing but I'm reluctant to try another HK product given how buggy this one has been.

Maybe I'm not looking for answers, just looking to vent. I was the only one in the house who even noticed the sub was not working anymore - well, they would have noticed it during a movie.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had an AVR525 for about 4 years. I too hate the fact that everytime we lose power I lose all of my settings. I can't label the inputs, but I lose all of my speaker calibrations. I haven't had a problem with the subwoofer - I have had an instance where the balance no longer worked - doesn't seem to be a problem now though. My biggest complaint besides the "erasing" of memory is the delay when switching aufio sources - most notable when watching DirectTV - I hate it - you actually miss alot. Mine also runs very hot - I have heard the fan run twice in 4 years. I am looking to upgrade to a reciever with HDMI, memory saves on power loss and no delay. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One possible way around losing your settings due to power outages - connect your AV gear to a UPS. I hit upon this solution after a series of 30-second to 1 minute blackouts two summers ago; seemed to me that what makes sense for PCs would also apply to my AVR635, since it needs AC to keep its memory. I also have a PC hooked up to monitor the UPS. (It's also connected to the AVR635 for audio - Internet A/V streaming). Just make certain that you get a UPS big enough to support the power requirements of your setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts