AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a student and live in an apartment so I'm not looking for a top of the line receiver. I was looking at the Denon systems because I have an old one of those at home and I am satisfied with it.

I am wondering how the AVR-885S (785s, 685s, etc) receivers perform. They don't have the AL24 processor... but is that something that I'm seriously going to notice in a small apartment?

I like how these units looked and they provided enough bandwitdh for component switching and have enough power for what I am looking for. Is there something else that I should be aware of?

George

· Registered
971 Posts
I have the 2805 which has the Alpha 24. I think, to answer your question, it depends on what you'll use it for. You may notice the difference even at low volumes if you are listening to high resolution music from audiophile sources. If music is paramount, then spring for it. If movies and music are about equal to you, you may not need or notice a difference. Without it, these receivers have a lot of excellent sounding processing and stereo modes anyway.

My two cents

Tony B

· Registered
409 Posts
Pull the trigger if you like it (885 S). In a small apartment, your're fine. If/When your taste in audio changes, you can step up into more musical speakers, components, etc.. For the "entry" level system, it is going to make you happy. The low price will just add to the enjoyment. Good Luck

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input.... I dont have room for real nice speakers (and can't yet afford the ones that would fit... bose) So I probably wouldn't get the benefit from the higher processor anyway.

I'm looking at the Harmon Kardon HKTS 7 or 14 speaker system (please don't scoff) because they're small, cheap and they're only a temporary solution until I graduate, find a job and get a semi-perminant living location.

If you have any input on the HK speakers, that woudl be great, but I'm also going to post in the speaker forum.

· Registered
420 Posts
I have an AVR 1604, which is the previous generation of the low-end receivers. I have no complaints about the digital/analog conversion. That seems to be what AL24 is about. I'm fairly happy with this receiver for music.

There's no reason to be embarassed about wanting a $500 or so set of speakers. If you look at varoius threads here you'll find other options for low-cost speakers. I haven't listened to them myself, so I can't give specific advice. However I would probably try several options before getting this. From other postings, options to look at include the Athena Micra 6 and Hsu Ventriloquist.

· Registered
971 Posts
Yes, I've been reading good reviews on those Athena and Hsu systems. I think they're in your price range. Search the Forums and Reviews.

Your in for a great sounding system. Have fun.

Tony B

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do any of your systems have the setup mic?

Is this something that is worth the extra 100 bucks to upgrade to the next system? My guess is not, but I may be missing something.

George

· Registered
971 Posts
You can check on the Denon USA website for the models which include the MIC and Auto set-up. My 2805 has it and I found that a very nice feature, that I actually use. Needed, no. Nice, yes. It quickly checks phase and polarity of speakers, adjusts for placement, size and room quirks. Then you can use several setup options for sound equalization or not.

Or, without it, just buy or borrow a Radio Shack sound pressure meter(about 35 bucks) and a Avia(or the like) setup disk and you can do it all manually.

I personally liked the Auto Denon way better, but I have heard some don't.

Go figure.

Bottom line: whatever you get, you'll wonder what the next step has in store----Have fun.

Tony B

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.