AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been finishing my basement which includes a modest dedicated media/home theater room of 2100 cubic feet. I'm at the point where I need to make AV equipment choices - specifically, which AVR and external amp to purchase to power 11 speakers, including 4 atmos. My 4 VBSS subs will be powered by an already purchased Behringer 3000dsp amp.

For speakers, I have gone all DIY. The LCR's are HT10's, the 4 surrounds are HT8's, and the 4 atmos speakers are sealed Volt 6's. My understanding is that all these speakers are high efficiency and thus will play loud with less amplifier power required.

I would like to keep my AVR/Amp budget under 3k. I've only owned AVR's in the past, however, given the number of speaker I need to power, I need to look at external amp options and determine what's best for my circumstance.

My initial impulse after reading multiple threads here is to purchase the least expensive AVR with pre-out options (Denon x3700h), and then purchase at least a 2-channel amp to power the additional 2 atmos speakers. The other, more expensive option would be to purchase a 5-channel amp to use for front channel duty, given the opinion of some here that the right external amp can significantly improve front speaker performance.

I'm aware that the OSD (Outlaw clone) 5-channel amp on sale at the moment. But I'm really in no hurry, as I don't think I'll have my room done before August. There is also the Covid-related price inflation, and perhaps waiting a few months to see if prices fall might be prudent.

Regardless, given my general ignorance on the subject, I'm wondering if my current strategy is appropriate. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated!

·
Registered
15,405 Posts
If you want upgradeability to say, 7.1.6 or 9.1.4 Dolby Atmos and upcoming DTS: X Pro built-in then I would consider going with the Denon 6700H receiver when it becomes available again. Measures even better than some higher end pre-amp/processors in full pre-amp mode (it shuts the audio throughput to the amps, increasing the quality output on the RCA pre-amp connectors).

If you are a heavy gamer and need 4k 120 Hz support, then you should wait to see if Denon and Marantz can get their HDMI 2.1 inputs fixed or offers a board swap. Many manufacturers that added HDMI 2.1 ports found out their chips were not full compatible with some new gaming consoles.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want upgradeability to say, 7.1.6 or 9.1.4 Dolby Atmos and upcoming DTS: X Pro built-in then I would consider going with the Denon 6700H receiver when it becomes available again. Measures even better than some higher end pre-amp/processors in full pre-amp mode (it shuts the audio throughput to the amps, increasing the quality output on the RCA pre-amp connectors).

If you are a heavy gamer and need 4k 120 Hz support, then you should wait to see if Denon and Marantz can get their HDMI 2.1 inputs fixed or offers a board swap. Many manufacturers that added HDMI 2.1 ports found out their chips were not full compatible with some new gaming consoles.
No, I’m not a gamer at all so all the ruckus about HDMI 2.1 doesn’t apply to my situation. Not that AVR manufacturers should be let off the hook...

I’m almost certain that my current speaker layout will not change in the future.

So the audio throughput to the amps is not disabled on the 3700 in pre-amp mode? They’re still active, just idle?

·
Registered
15,405 Posts
No, I’m not a gamer at all so all the ruckus about HDMI 2.1 doesn’t apply to my situation. Not that AVR manufacturers should be let off the hook...

I’m almost certain that my current speaker layout will not change in the future.

So the audio throughput to the amps is not disabled on the 3700 in pre-amp mode? They’re still active, just idle?
That I'm not sure, but I would consider the 4700H if you absolutely will never add Front Wides or Top Middles and instead stay at 11.1 processing.

It measures quite well too for its price range. This jump in measurable sonic quality for the 4700H and 6700H in pre-amp mode may indicate they are doing something right in terms of end running around the amp section.

The 6700H, even if you only use it for 11.2 outputs, seems to have a lot of sonic qualities going for it that other receivers seem to be lacking (and a number of surround processors as well) that may be worth the extra investment (even for music listening). It will supposedly see the latest Dolby Surround upmixer update from Dolby as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That I'm not sure, but I would consider the 4700H if you absolutely will never add Front Wides or Top Middles and instead stay at 11.1 processing.

It measures quite well too for its price range. This jump in measurable sonic quality for the 4700H and 6700H in pre-amp mode may indicate they are doing something right in terms of end running around the amp section.

The 6700H, even if you only use it for 11.2 outputs, seems to have a lot of sonic qualities going for it that other receivers seem to be lacking (and a number of surround processors as well) that may be worth the extra investment (even for music listening). It will supposedly see the latest Dolby Surround upmixer update from Dolby as well.
The 3700 has an amp shut off as well. You just have to download the upgrade when you set it up.
Keep in mind all the receivers (Denon,Marantz)with this option are an all on or all off proposition.
Thanks to Gene at Audioholics for getting Sound United to add this feature back in to it's AVR lineup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts