AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some input from well experienced members of this forum. I recently got a Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR.

Its an awesome AVR but I am looking for a little more "umph" and depth when pushing my Polk RTi12's (Fronts). I listen to 2 channel music and 5.1 for movies. So after some research, I decided to go with Emotiva for my AMP. But I have some questions.

1) Should I buy an XPA-2 and run my fronts off of that specifically, while allowing the AVR to push my center and surrounds? Or should I go with an XPA-5 and power all 5 channels of my HT from Emotiva with the AVR as a processor only?

2) After purchasing the Amplifier, should I get a separate power source rack (ie Panamax, Monster, etc...) For my AVR and AMP? Right now I have one Monster brand unit powering AVR, TV, BDP, HDVD, PS4, XB1.

3) Can anyone recommend some decently priced good quality speaker cables? Currently I am using Audio Quest HDMI Interconnects for all devices and Sewell Silverback Speaker Cable

The listing of my 5.1 equipment is below in my signature. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated, but I'm hoping to get the 1st 3 answered. Thanks!

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
If you do use it in 5.1 mode then your center needs more power than your L/R.

I've never used one of those power units in 30 years of having audio gear, don't see the need, just a possible bottleneck if anything and money that can be spent better elsewhere.

If you want pre-made cables forum sponsor Blue Jean Cables makes nice stuff. I prefer simply to buy wire and if I need a banana plug just put one on. Audioquest is way expensive for what it brings to the table, never would give any money to that company since mostly they sell snake oil.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
If your looking for more 'umph' from your system
Consider upgrading/replacing your subwoofer.

Pick up something from HSU,PSA,Rythmik or
Outlaw Audio. That will put a grin on your face.

Also, set your crossover for your left/right/center
Speaker to 80 HZ and let the sub handle everything
Below that. This will allow your Polk's to play cleaner
And louder with less power.

Reactions: lovinthehd

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
You have a few options

1) Get the XPA-2 for left & right
2) Get the XPA-3 for left, right & center
3) Get the XPA-5 + XPA-2 for side, rears, center, L/R
4) Get a XPA-3 for L,R, C, and a 4 channel amplifier for side and surrounds
5) Get a XPA-7 for all your 7 channels

I'm using AV pre and power amplifiers, a big ATI for front three, and two 60W stereo amps for side and rears (and have two more so if I want to get Atmos)

That Pioneer is pretty powerful, so a XPA-3 for front three, and using Pioneer for remaining channels would be ideal, you'll get around 150W for each channel

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-89-av-receiver-review-test-bench

I'd also upgrade your speakers too, and get them to match at least front three since you already have B&W center & rears get the matching B&W L/R

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
1) Should I buy an XPA-2 and run my fronts off of that specifically, while allowing the AVR to push my center and surrounds? Or should I go with an XPA-5 and power all 5 channels of my HT from Emotiva with the AVR as a processor only?
Most likely neither. What you gain with more amplifier is more volume. In most home environments, the power in a receiver is more than enough, particularly when a powered subwoofer is employed. Be sure you have an unusual circumstance before spending the money. Perhaps you need more subwoofer.

2) After purchasing the Amplifier, should I get a separate power source rack (ie Panamax, Monster, etc...) For my AVR and AMP? Right now I have one Monster brand unit powering AVR, TV, BDP, HDVD, PS4, XB1.
No. These do absolutely nothing useful in an audio system. Plug strips are probably a better idea because they contain no meaningful circuitry.

3) Can anyone recommend some decently priced good quality speaker cables? Currently I am using Audio Quest HDMI Interconnects for all devices and Sewell Silverback Speaker Cable
Continue using the cables you have. There are no sonic advantages to be had from wire.

It is hard for people to understand where these myths in audio come from. I won't bore you with details other than to tell you that the sonic character of an audio system comes from the speakers and room acoustics. Those are always the places to look for improved sound. If you are itching to spend money I would suggest spending it on another subwoofer that is as big as you can afford and fit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have a few options

1) Get the XPA-2 for left & right
2) Get the XPA-3 for left, right & center
3) Get the XPA-5 + XPA-2 for side, rears, center, L/R
4) Get a XPA-3 for L,R, C, and a 4 channel amplifier for side and surrounds
5) Get a XPA-7 for all your 7 channels

I'm using AV pre and power amplifiers, a big ATI for front three, and two 60W stereo amps for side and rears (and have two more so if I want to get Atmos)

That Pioneer is pretty powerful, so a XPA-3 for front three, and using Pioneer for remaining channels would be ideal, you'll get around 150W for each channel

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-89-av-receiver-review-test-bench

I'd also upgrade your speakers too, and get them to match at least front three since you already have B&W center & rears get the matching B&W L/R
Interesting. Thank you for the research. I've entertained the XPA-3 as well... what would the advantage be over having the the center on a separate amp as well? My issue hear is that I hear a bit of a very slight "crackle" on the high end of both L&R when in 2channel mode and LRC when in 5.1. I was wondering if the amps were being slightly over driven in my AVR. I am using a front Bi-Amp (passive i believe)... is having 7 out of the 9 amps in use really going to hinder my sound quality to the point of producing said "crackle"? I don't remember my previous AVR (SC-35) producing that, so I am really trying to chase down the issue. Should I remove the Bi-Amp and just power my RTi 12s single channel?

Most likely neither. What you gain with more amplifier is more volume. In most home environments, the power in a receiver is more than enough, particularly when a powered subwoofer is employed. Be sure you have an unusual circumstance before spending the money. Perhaps you need more subwoofer.

No. These do absolutely nothing useful in an audio system. Plug strips are probably a better idea because they contain no meaningful circuitry.

Continue using the cables you have. There are no sonic advantages to be had from wire.

It is hard for people to understand where these myths in audio come from. I won't bore you with details other than to tell you that the sonic character of an audio system comes from the speakers and room acoustics. Those are always the places to look for improved sound. If you are itching to spend money I would suggest spending it on another subwoofer that is as big as you can afford and fit.
Thank you for your response. My Klipsch reference series sub is plenty powerful, so I am not looking to extend my bass. Between my previous SC-35 and my new SC-87, I feel the some of the sound stage has taken a hit. The new AVR sounds a little brighter than I am used to. Is there a burn in period for AVRs??

As I stated in the above quote, my highs seem to crackle a bit when I raise the volume, L/R in 2ch and L/R/C in 5.1. At first I wondered if it was just detail in my compressed source when listening to Music. I stream Chromecast Google Play and Pandora music, which is coming across at 320kbps. Would that slight crackle I hear be the source? I sort of put that to rest when I noticed it off of my BluRay tracks during 5.1 listening in my movies.

The big changes with my AVR change were the AVR itself, and the addition of the Sewell Silverback Cables.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts