AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been doing a lot of reading, and i'm trying to figure out the difference between multiroom audio and avr (the audio portion). Seems like some avr units have zone control, so technically i wouldn't need a multiroom unit. is this correct?

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Hi,

AVR units with multiple zones are often limited in comparison to what a feature rich multi-room audio system can provide.

For instance my AVR supports 2 zones in addition to the main zone, but I am still limited to the sources that the AVR supports. It has one FM tuner and if that is routed to 2 or 3 zones then those zones will all hear the same station.

A multi-room system might have 2, 3 or more FM tuners, allowing different zones to listen to different stations.

My simple multi-room system is primarily for listening to ripped CD content but it allows up to 15 zones with each zone listening to a different selection.

A multi-zone system will typically also have better support for control from each zone, such as a keypad in the wall or perhaps a wireless or IR remote.

My system is of the keypad-in-the-wall variety where the user can examine the list of available CDs and select the desired CD and track(s) to play.

There is more to consider but this gives you some idea. I have never attempted to use the multiple zones on any of my AVRs simply because, to me, they are too limited.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The above post is good description. To add to it, if you are thinking about setting up a multizone in the house you have to ask yourself what you want to accomplish.

For me I prefer 2 zones, the main zone and the second zone being the whole house fed digital music. The problem with that is the main zone can play one thing, but the second zone has to be the same thing (not same thing as main zone, same thing as in same song in all rooms). For me it is a non-issue, for many other people they do not like it.

As the above poster stated, some people want to be able to control everything from the room they are in and have each room completely separate from the other room. This means you may have to have multiple pieces of the same equipment. As above, say you have 6 zones and you want to be able to play 6 different FM stations, that would mean you would need 6 tuners.

Another option would be to have a simple whole house audio setup where everything plays the same thing or a has a few choices, but you also have local inputs for each room to give it me options and control.

·
Registered
520 Posts
What is your goal?? How many sources are looking to access, and how many people at once will be listening? Will they all want to listen to the same thing?? Is it a large house, do you want/need feedback from the source form either a touch panel or display??

A 2 zone receiver is very limited, but after answering some of the above questions you can gauge if the limits will effect you....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello -

My parents are in the process of building a house that they had pre-wired. The set up is as follows:

Living room - pre-wired for a 5.1 set-up.

Dining room, office and kitchen - speakers in ceiling with speaker wire running to basement site.

My questions/issues:

1) Is there a way to link all of these up with a single audio system? If I put a good quality receiver in the living room, how would I control the speakers in the other rooms as the other room speaker wire is running to the basement?

2) I have looked at the Bose systems but have become somewhat dismayed based on all the poor reviews. In this set-up the lifestyle system would be in the living room and then I would run a bose link cable to the basement. I would need to install amps in the basement for the speakers.

Thoughts? I would spend up to $10k.

Thank you -

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak493 /forum/post/14376812

Hello -

My parents are in the process of building a house that they had pre-wired. The set up is as follows:

Dining room, office and kitchen - speakers in ceiling with speaker wire running to basement site.

My questions/issues:

1) Is there a way to link all of these up with a single audio system? If I put a good quality receiver in the living room, how would I control the speakers in the other rooms as the other room speaker wire is running to the basement?

2) I have looked at the Bose systems but have become somewhat dismayed based on all the poor reviews. In this set-up the lifestyle system would be in the living room and then I would run a bose link cable to the basement. I would need to install amps in the basement for the speakers.

Thank you -

Re-read the posts above and decide which way you are going to go.

Frankly, with $10k on the line, I'd suggest you enlist a pro.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the exact same problem! The living room is prewired, but I want it connected to whole house audio. What you have to do is rerun the 5.1 speakers to your basement or where the multiroom unit is going to be. From there connect your 5.1 to a receiver, and the receiver to the multiroom audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak493 /forum/post/14376812

Hello -

My questions/issues:

Thank you -

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frebay /forum/post/14377437

I have the exact same problem! The living room is prewired, but I want it connected to whole house audio. What you have to do is rerun the 5.1 speakers to your basement or where the multiroom unit is going to be. From there connect your 5.1 to a receiver, and the receiver to the multiroom audio.

So where does the local DVD player go, or the video game someone wants to just plug in when visiting??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts