AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have been looking for a AVR to complete my PC centered Home theater system. I have been given some amazing equipment from a family member since they no longer needed these items after upgrading (Their Maranetz was not HDMI). Looking into AVR's the ones that I found do not support the ability to make use of an HDMI audio input, and when i saw that I honestly wanted to cry.

So what I am trying to figure out, is what type of AVR (or specific features) will i need set up my home theater, with the best possible sound quality coming directly from my PC?  Should I even entertain the idea of using optical output after reading on this thread that HDMI is superior to TOSLINK? The majority of my music is in the highest possible quality i could find, and all of my movies will be played from blu-ray discs.

I will have 5.2 surround and my goal is to not need another receiver for a 5.2 set up as long as possible.

I will add that my video source will only be my HDMI out from the PC, sent to an HD projector. I will NOT have a blu-ray player, or TV subscription, or any of the other usual home theater devices.

Any advice on this subject is much appreciated, especially ones that can send me in the right direction for researching this particular topic. I am willing to make the time required to read and learn anything needed to achieve the best sound from my PC, even though I am starting out pretty lost and confused.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Interesting, I don't know where you are getting your info from

But I have a 5 year old Marantz sr5003 that I ran HDMI from my

HTPC and had no problems with all audio formats.

3 years ago I replaced the Marantz with an Anthem

MRX 300 and had no issues with audio either.

From what I have read on these forums most issues

With audio over HDMI into an AVR is a result of the

Computer not being configured correctly.

Edit- ideally you will want to run your HDMI into

The AVR and the from the AVR to your projector.

If this is not possible then you would need to run

Optical (which doesn't support lossless audio found

On blu-Ray)

The other alternatives are an HDMI splitter (1 to AVR,1 to projector)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
HDMI doesn't support audio-only, so audio must be transmitted along with video. With a PC if you want to run HDMI audio to an AV receiver you'll either need to run the connection from your PC to your projector through the receiver (as Grasshoppers suggests) or make the receiver a second display that duplicates your primary display.

All AV receivers behave identically as far as this is concerned so any AV receiver will do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

"HDMI doesn't support audio-only"

Well shoot, that simply sums it up! thanks so much! I guess its obvious how much i still need to learn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts